sweptline budget buildHi all

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Hi all
I traded a Chevy 350 for this gem, 68 Sweptline D100. bad 318/3 tree. I have a great running slant out of a Dart and a 904...probably need a truck pan...the idea is reliable and VERY budget centric. If anyone has parts, truck trannies etc let me know. looking for all inputs to get it back on the road cheap.
[ame="http://s249.photobucket.com/user/disposablehero1999/media/photo2-1.png.html"]photo2-1.png Photo by disposablehero1999 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo2-1.p@@AMEPARAM@@249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo2-1.p[/ame]

[ame="http://s249.photobucket.com/user/disposablehero1999/media/photo3-1.png.html"]photo3-1.png Photo by disposablehero1999 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo3-1.p@@AMEPARAM@@249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo3-1.p[/ame]

[ame="http://s249.photobucket.com/user/disposablehero1999/media/photo5.png.html"]photo5.png Photo by disposablehero1999 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo5.p@@AMEPARAM@@249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo5.p[/ame]

[ame="http://s249.photobucket.com/user/disposablehero1999/media/photo4.png.html"]photo4.png Photo by disposablehero1999 | Photobucket@@AMEPARAM@@http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo4.p@@AMEPARAM@@249.photobucket.com/albums/gg204/disposablehero1999/photo4.p[/ame]

Score! I'm starting to like these trucks, with time. In Texas,shouldn't be too hard to find a /6. You will hear from /6 members.

That sure is a nice solid looking truck. Grill, bumper all look to be in great shape.

Darn nice trade looks like a good start and besides what would anyone want with a Chevy anything unless you need a heavy object to keep the boat from drifting away in a storm.

Darn nice trade looks like a good start and besides what would anyone want with a Chevy anything unless you need a heavy object to keep the boat from drifting away in a storm.

Chevy motor was taking up space anyhow :coffee2:

Newer style 72 and up truck oil pan is not needed in a sweptline.
Car or truck will work.
My 69 318 swept had a front sump oil pan.

I had one just like that, just in Turquoise.

My advice would be to just find a good running small block to stick in there. Since it's out, maybe service the clutch if necessary and be done with it. If you don't like the 3-on-the-tree, maybe put a floor shifter in there.

I say this for two reasons.

First, you'll end up with a better, more enjoyable truck in the end. I love /6's, don't get me wrong, but my '68 D100 was a /6, and let me tell you, it was a dog. It would have been much better with a V8.

Second, I think you'd be money and time ahead. By the time you mess with fitting an automatic, new mounts for the /6, possible driveshaft length change (not sure if 3-sp to 904 would change the length), I'll bet you'll spend more in money and time.

Either way, in my opinion, don't let the fact that you have a nice running /6-904 convince you that it's the best approach. I understand having it makes it appealing.

Whatever you do, I will be following this, and if you were closer, I'd be trying to work up a trade deal with you!

By the way, isn't that a '69? I believe a '68 wouldn't have the sidemarker lights, whereas '69s had those round reflector sidemarkers. Don't pay any attention to what the title says, look at the VIN for the year. Or, maybe it's a '68 and someone stuck those on there.

It's a 68', vin plate and all. I wish I could run across a cheap 318 and keep it V8. The availability of a six is what made it sound appealing for sure. It has a 3:55 rear in it. Looking for all suggestions!

It's a 68', vin plate and all. I wish I could run across a cheap 318 and keep it V8. The availability of a six is what made it sound appealing for sure. It has a 3:55 rear in it. Looking for all suggestions!

OK, someone must have stuck those on there then, or maybe it's a late '68 and somehow got them, who knows.

You can run across a cheap 318. They are cheap. They are out there. There is one waiting for you.

Awesome that it has a 3:55. I don't know what mine had, but I'll bet it was at least that. The thing jerked quickly to motion from a dead stop, but then just flat ran out of power immediately with the /6, and being just a 3-speed didn't help. It would have been 1000 times better with a V8. Plus, obviously with a V8 you can easily and cheaply add a 4v and other power adders if whatever you got doesn't already have them. It's just all around the better solution. Look around, I'll bet you find one easier than you think!

By the way, isn't that a '69? I believe a '68 wouldn't have the sidemarker lights, whereas '69s had those round reflector sidemarkers. Don't pay any attention to what the title says, look at the VIN for the year. Or, maybe it's a '68 and someone stuck those on there.

The hood and front bumper and wipers look like a 68 and the side markers are 69. Again you can run the vin on sweptline.org. And a few other things. That side chrome trim is hard to find so keep it. Also, those piece of junk west coast mirrors and probably bad radio needs to be pulled and promptly sent to me for disposal.:) And hey, I'll be a nice guy and even pay the shipping to me. Craig

That 318 in the bed has a bad timing chain i suspect. It's been in the weather for a while too. I appreciate the offer Craig, I'll keep you in mind ��. I might be able to source a 318 locally. What do you guys figure it would cost to put a budget build on one? I did acquire a 360 over the weekend, looks to have new .040 pistons in it but it's a short block only. I traded a steering box for it, mainly for my dads Dakota. So 318 eh? What is everyone's thoughts on the 745 trans?

They're not side markers, just reflectors, and I'd be pretty confident they're correct for 1968. I know for sure they were on the vans in '68.

I don't know how happy you'll be with that trans. With no synchro for first, you need to be stopped to put in first. I drove'em for years when I was a kid, and always hated that... Just some food for thought.

BTW, the makings of a nice ride.

those trucks look kool done up like a muscle car,,,just dont take it to those fast and loud guys,,they will butcher it up with a chevy motor and crown vic suspension,,:wack:

They're not side markers, just reflectors, and I'd be pretty confident they're correct for 1968. I know for sure they were on the vans in '68.

Yeah, reflectors (I just said "side marker lights" to specify the reflectors I was talking about after saying reflectors... should have left off the "lights"... habit!). I just did some extensive looking around for info, and it looks like some '68's (trucks) had the side reflectors and some didn't. I never knew that and I don't know why some had them and some did not, if it was regional, package-related, or what. I do know for an absolute fact though that not ALL had them. Learn something new every day!

I wish I could find one that (looks) this solid up here.

Love it! Especially in yellow and black. You got that makings of a sweet DD! I'm with 72Dodge, go with small block Mopar. It will be so much more fun to drive! Call me crazy but I can picture it with a bumble bee stripe and fat meats all around! :glasses7:

Attachments

• Challenger_BumbleBee_Styles_Generic.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 172
  • rumblebee.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 185
Another option would be to use the truck slant to v8 adapter bell housing, that way you could easily add the v8 later and use your slant for now. It's a factory plate that adapts the v8 bell housing to the slant engine, and moved the starter in the slant position. My 82 slant ram with the np435 had it, but my uncle's 65 with a three speed did too. I don't think that od 833 trucks had it, they just used the car bell housing. I personally don't know how hard to find or expensive they are, but it may save you from building an engine right now.

I just meant to find a running 318, not build one, since the goal was I thought to get this back on the road as easily and cheaply as possible. Either way, building one now or later would be cool too of course. Running 318's are usually pretty darn easy to find cheap.

You're right about 318's, I actually gave away a running one not too long ago because I ran out of space. I was thinking he could build the 360 at his leisure while driving it with the six. Either way would be cool, I love sweptlines, I learned how to drive a manual on my grandpa's 63 3 on the tree poly 318 d200.

Hi Floyd...Merry Christmas!

Hows that Duster doing?

I have a 68 D100 with a 318 and granny gear four speed. I want to upgrade mine to afuel injected 5.9 magnum. I would have definitely done that trade for your truck. Nice score.

-
Back