Swinger driveshaft

-

moparman9

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the correct driveshaft length for a 1971 swinger with 727 trans and 8-3/4" rear? I am looking for the length from the center of the fwd u-joint to the center of the back u-joint. I have recently acquired the car an need to get a driveshaft made. Thanks in advance for the help.

If nobody answers, you'll have to jack the car up, put it on jack stands, crawl underneath and measure it yourself. Sorry but those are the facts.

If nobody answers, you'll have to jack the car up, put it on jack stands, crawl underneath and measure it yourself. Sorry but those are the facts.

If you decide to do it this way (which I think is the only property way to do it, manufacturing tolerances and 40 years of driving can add up) be sure to put the jacket ands under the axle, so the car sits with the suspension carrying it's own weight

I have an extra driveshaft that is 45 9/16 (+ or -). I'm pretty sure it's for a 727/8 3/4. You can see the dimensions in the pics. I can answer any questions about dimensions.

Treblig

Attachments

• DSC05973.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 186
  • DSC05974.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 182
  • DSC05975.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 190
  • DSC05976.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC05977.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 177
  • DSC05978.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 200
Thanks for the replies, guys. I looks like the safest thing for me to do is crawl under the car and measure. Everybody's dimensions seem to be a little different.

Thanks for the replies, guys. I looks like the safest thing for me to do is crawl under the car and measure. Everybody's dimensions seem to be a little different.

One thing that most folks don't realize.......it your car is lowered or raised up in the rear it will change the "required" length of the drive shaft. As you lower the rear end of the car the drive shaft gets shoved into the transmission and as you raise the rear of the car the drive shaft is pulled out of the transmission. So all the charts you might find are only correct when it comes to stock height cars. That's why it's always best to check "your" own car for drive shaft length as opposed to relying on a chart.

treblig

I can give you my measurements but to be honest its stupid easy to measure and order yourself a custom one. I ordered from Precision Shaft Technologies. Called them Thursday morning had the drive shaft in hand Saturday morning (they are in FL and I'm in MD) they shipped same day. Cost me $325 shipped with an adapter u-joint for my smaller yoke end. Shaft is rated for 1000hp and comes with a lifetime warranty.

47.99 is out of the parts books, 2883693, for a 727 with 8.75 rear.

If you are having a shaft built, measure and call Tattons driveshafts in Utah. Curtis is a good guy.

I crawled under the car and measured, looks like 48 1/2" would be good. There is a local shop that will cut and balance shafts very reasonably, I had them do one for my 71 duster years ago and was very pleased. Thank you everyone for your input.

I went with 48-5/8" as a final measurement and had the driveshaft cut and balanced. It was very reasonable for $80. Installed it tonight, it looks great!

Attachments

• IMG_0408.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 105
-
Back