Swinging for Divorce…

-
I store all my smaller parts in plastic pails with lids. I also bag set of parts, window and door clips, lip moldings, head liner hardware and miss nuts and bolts. It takes off a lot of hunting later on. Any parts not for my car (69' Dart) I label. Kind of like OLD family photos, if you don't know who they are, what good are they to you.

I’ve been trying to label as much as I can that’s for sure. I have most of the big pieces. It’s the little pieces that will get me, but especially because I won’t know I don’t have them until I need them haha.

Amazing how much space all the parts occupy until you package it all back in the car. I'm finally finishing my 1965 Dart. I spent the most time on finicky stuff in the interior and dash and the fussy exterior trim of my GT trim. At least only missing a few trim parts, and might even have those stashed somewhere. I'll look closer once I put my just-repainted 1985 M-B back together (also confusion of parts). You can spend a fortune if buying "correct" parts for everything like trim attachments. Often you can do cheaper and better than the OE design by leveraging generic parts or for a GM. I use stainless fasteners from Ace Hardware wherever I can. I had most OE fasteners. I cleaned corrosion by soaking in Evap-O-Rust, then phosphoric acid to convert any remaining rust in pits, then painting. I did in batches, shaking the nuts and bolts together in a jar with soap and water, multiple times to remove all debris. When rushed, I at least spray fasteners with Rustoleum Rust Preventive. Might start using Fluid Film under all my vehicles, though minimal corrosion concerns in CA, though chrome plating usually pits everywhere.

I totally see how buying “correct” parts will cost a fortune… I’m going to probably spend a “cheap fortune” because I am not a megiver at making things work but I’m also cheap.

Some things may be easier for me to buy the correct pieces or new pieces than search for years to buy the pieces used and then still have to “restore” them.

Being in the Midwest now I’ll have to make sure I do something to help prevent rust. I don’t drive in bad weather though.

Like now I need bucket seat frames and they are hard to find…. I’d buy new if they made them and I can’t find some in the next 6 months or so.

Bucket seats for 69 Darts pop up here time once in awhile. I just picked up some 69 bucket seat brackets off here other week. Now I’ll clean them all up while at work. I need to find some seats to recover also but am in no hurry.
F6079806-DFC9-4AFC-A6EE-6DCFFF853D96.jpeg

Bucket seats for 69 Darts pop up here time once in awhile. I just picked up some 69 bucket seat brackets off here other week. Now I’ll clean them all up while at work. I need to find some seats to recover also but am in no hurry.
View attachment 1716062524

I have seat brackets that need cleaned as well, I also have seat foams and the seat covers… but no frames lol. Shipping them will probably be expensive

I have seat brackets that need cleaned as well, I also have seat foams and the seat covers… but no frames lol. Shipping them will probably be expensive
I’d feel you’d have luck finding some at a local swap meet. Shipping really wouldn’t be too bad if the seats were stripped and unbolted.

I’d feel you’d have luck finding some at a local swap meet. Shipping really wouldn’t be too bad if the seats were stripped and unbolted.

I’m trying to get some seats right now. Hopefully I’ll know more on them soon. I don’t go to that many swap meets, not a lot of mopar swap meets around here, but I am going to the MoKan speedway meet at the end of April.:thumbsup:

Checked my car… I have some special lower control arms. They have sway bar tabs.

My seat tracks are also in pretty good shape.

9AD02D9E-7EE2-4422-903F-EC6F0E30EE85.jpeg

19A0D7F2-57FF-46FE-9F77-969FB8DF96A6.jpeg

FEF12F8A-767C-4225-A3D4-C04FFC26AFB9.jpeg

These shoe boxes from target are great.

1.50 each you can't beat that.

Screenshot_20230311-233822.png

And you have a ton of overhead space

Screenshot_20230311-233953.png

Plastic totes

Screenshot_20230311-234256.png

For longer items

Screenshot_20230311-234836.png

Inventory on excel.

Totes are labeled A B C etc. And the content is grouped, like engine compartment, wiring, trim etc.

Screenshot_20230311-234701.png

Maintaining the inventory is the hard part ;^)

I’m trying to get some seats right now. Hopefully I’ll know more on them soon. I don’t go to that many swap meets, not a lot of mopar swap meets around here, but I am going to the MoKan speedway meet at the end of April.:thumbsup:

Checked my car… I have some special lower control arms. They have sway bar tabs.

My seat tracks are also in pretty good shape.

View attachment 1716062559

View attachment 1716062560

View attachment 1716062561
Doc, I suggest you go to Mo-Kan and buy swap spot, get there early and bring a "few Parts" for conversatiion. Network. Meet the guys! Make a poster for "wanted" parts, and meet the guys that cater to your model. Bring a note pad and pen and also make some business cards mentioning your desire for 69 Dart parts. Whatever engine/trans you desire etc. Mention you are a dentist that GIVES discounts to Mopar people!!!!

@barbee6043 I am going to the Mo-Kan dragway swap meet. If I can get some seats before the meet, the. I can blow money on something else while I’m there haha.

Lost out on the seats I was trying to get. So now I need to find another set.

Just because the swap meets aren't Mopar specific doesn't mean there are no Mopar parts. I've gone to swap meets put on by the Ford, Chevy and other guys. You will be surprised when you find Mopar stuff. If you find parts you are looking for, ask the price but DO NOT tell them what it fits. Some of the vendors have no idea what they have and will sell it CHEAP. Example; I bought a BBM block that was marked as a Ford 428 FE, it was a 64 426 Max Wedge block. A few weeks later the seller contacted me and said he found the rest of the parts. That turned out to be the forged crank, after market pistons, two sets of Max Wedge heads. He pointed to a bin and there were a few cam and lifter sets, still on boxes. After it was all done, I had less than $500.00 in a buildable 426 Max wedge all because the seller didn't know what he had, and I wasn't about to tell him.

I agree sorta!
Your story beats mine to heck!

Years ago when I was up to my butt in parts, I drove from N Mo. to Omaha general swap. I had a flag pile with a MOPOR flag on it. People could see that flag from wayyyyyyy out. Mopar guys flocked to that flag all day! They were probably only1% of the traffic there.

Another time I went to a tiny general swap on the outskirts of K.C., Mo. It was a cold day in March and not really very big and ALL GM stuff. But I noticed a guy selling quite a bite of NOS GM parts, small things like lens, etc. There sat a pair of 1970 or was it 71 Cuda taillite lens, $50 for the pair!!!!! WOW!!!!! I took them to the Nats, that year, maybe 1998??? It took 3 days to get my price of $350 BUT I saw NOS vendors asking $1000 for the same in their fancy tent full of NOS.!

It make my eyes HURT walking thru a huge general swap looking to see a Mopar part though!! :BangHead:
:poke:

I am surprised that no one else has mentioned this so allow me to be the first....

GO GET ALL THE PARTS.

Nice lookin dart!

I was at Cruisin the Coast this last time and walking through swap meet and saw the whole front seat assembly with both seats and console in perfect condition exactly the same as my 2001 Cummins work truck which needs drivers side recovered. I asked guy what he wanted for them and he said $60. I about jerked my pocket off trying to get wallet out. Just need to be at right place at right time, Joe

I am surprised that no one else has mentioned this so allow me to be the first....

GO GET ALL THE PARTS.

Nice lookin dart!

I am getting all the extra dart parts :thumbsup: got a message today from the guy. Not getting any extra engines or anything. Just wiring harnesses, light bezels brake stuff and sway bars. I’ll keep it updated. .

I was at Cruisin the Coast this last time and walking through swap meet and saw the whole front seat assembly with both seats and console in perfect condition exactly the same as my 2001 Cummins work truck which needs drivers side recovered. I asked guy what he wanted for them and he said $60. I about jerked my pocket off trying to get wallet out. Just need to be at right place at right time, Joe

I’ve only been to one swap meet before. Didn’t get anything because it was right when I was buying my dental office last August.

This year it will be different… see if this dart really gets the divorce lol.

Nothing to exciting. Got some trim paint for the dash. Didn’t like the paint that much so ordered some black SEM Trim Paint, will be here in a bit. Used the other stuff on the backside of the dash so it isn’t grey.

Picked up another redline cap, now I have 9 of them. Thinking about picking up another clean set from another person, but the guy is asking 175 for the set of 4. I think I have paid 220 total for all 9 of mine lol.

2C5C32D8-04B2-42E4-8D82-3FC4B30CF846.jpeg

FAA46AFD-6E35-4157-8FBF-7B0A7FE1621D.jpeg

075779A7-3C48-43DD-BC87-4B8598477262.jpeg

689C8803-EE6C-43A1-99A0-574F042EF51B.jpeg

F01B78D8-1D4D-47B7-BF0B-2A859EF52614.jpeg

DB21E635-C0A0-46C2-B344-A4F8C4CE9592.jpeg

5111FD4A-9632-4173-B02B-19A06CFFE0DA.jpeg

BC05F7E9-4FD9-409F-8887-651E4ED97D1F.jpeg

2A03CF82-F6CE-4914-9FA3-F099205DDC98.jpeg

7089C7F2-42F1-4E15-8FA8-A370C88E7E4A.png

it's a good idea to paint the backside of the dash white. then in the future when you have to crawl on the floor under the dash to do anything (bulbs, wiring, heater etc) it's much brighter and easier to see what you're doing :thumbsup:
neil.

-
Back