Swinging for Divorce…

-
There is a note on the GTS registery about A GTS registery by Alan Miller.
There is a missing GTS (as in no one knows it's current where about, not that it is stollen or anything)

the vin is the same but the last 2 digits are not shown so there is a 1 in 100 chance that the GTS you found is the missing one

Oh wow there may be a story with it then.

It’s in shape a bit more rough than mine, but is a way more rare car than mine…

@barbee6043 I am going to the Mo-Kan dragway swap meet. If I can get some seats before the meet, the. I can blow money on something else while I’m there haha.

Lost out on the seats I was trying to get. So now I need to find another set.
Hey, Doc. There's a Mopar salvage yard in Catawissa, Mo. about 20 miles from me. (I'm 40 miles S of St. Louis). If you want to inquire about the seat frames and you can make a deal, I'll pick them up for you. We're going to Dallas in May, we could meet somewhere and I'll drop them off. I'll PM the details to you if you're interested. Rick

Hey, Doc. There's a Mopar salvage yard in Catawissa, Mo. about 20 miles from me. (I'm 40 miles S of St. Louis). If you want to inquire about the seat frames and you can make a deal, I'll pick them up for you. We're going to Dallas in May, we could meet somewhere and I'll drop them off. I'll PM the details to you if you're interested. Rick

I was going to give them a call, it’s Clay and Sons, the one you’re talking about right?

I was going to give them a call, it’s Clay and Sons, the one you’re talking about right?
Yes, They're closed Mon & Tues. Clay Sr lives on the property, he's semi-retired. Clayton does most of the business although he has another job. Call Clayton, but you might have to leave a message and wait for him to call you back. They have people who will usually pull the parts for you. Attached is a business card.

Clay&SonsBusinessCard.jpg

I see what you’re doing here… but think of how much I’ll have to do in order to paint the back side white then repair the whole front black again lol.

I should just have the paint shop paint the dash body color like I see a lot of people do.

I’ve seen a lot of T5 cars lately. Look at this one that just got painted in Washington.

View attachment 1716065953
Nice T5 there, I think I might know the owner:lol:

Nice T5 there, I think I might know the owner:lol:

Is this yours that has been getting posted on the fb pages or are you the friend posting the pictures?

The paint job is superb that’s for sure. I’ve never seen a copper car in real life, besides my engine bay, so I worry if I will love it or hate it when the entire car is painted.

I guess I still have time to decide…. Going to look at a turquoise 68 gts this weekend with my son if it’s still in the same spot it sat for 7 years prior to me moving lol. I’ll take pictures for everyone.

Next week I will try to refinish my dash bezels, I only have a new ac and radio bezel. I’ll see how they look before deciding on if I should buy new ones. I found a chip on my new bezel.

FE47AB15-C80F-4B81-B1EA-45949169B488.jpeg

Is this yours that has been getting posted on the fb pages or are you the friend posting the pictures?

The paint job is superb that’s for sure. I’ve never seen a copper car in real life, besides my engine bay, so I worry if I will love it or hate it when the entire car is painted.

I guess I still have time to decide…. Going to look at a turquoise 68 gts this weekend with my son if it’s still in the same spot it sat for 7 years prior to me moving lol. I’ll take pictures for everyone.

Next week I will try to refinish my dash bezels, I only have a new ac and radio bezel. I’ll see how they look before deciding on if I should buy new ones. I found a chip on my new bezel.

View attachment 1716067813
Curious on your process for refinishing your bezels. I'm in a similar pickle. Was leaning towards just buying new. Not sure on the re-pops though.

And, yes that is my car in T5. Still updating my resto thread. The painter/body/metal guy posts to fb and my friend started an fb page for my car because I don't do fb.

Curious on your process for refinishing your bezels. I'm in a similar pickle. Was leaning towards just buying new. Not sure on the re-pops though.

Your cars paint looks perfect! Care to share the cost of the paint job? Asking for a friend… one who has a painted engine bay the color T5… lol.

The bezel I posted is actually a Repop bezel, idk how long it has been sitting probably since 2019-2020 as that is when most of the receipts I have are from. And it has been tossed in and out of the car probably countless times before me.

I have some extra bezels I was going to practice on. Some old threads say to strip the paints via Yellow EZ Off oven cleaner (or a stronger concentrate with Lye in it, but that can damage the pieces fyi).

After stripping the paint it is time to clean up any imperfections. You can use Plastic JB weld to build up and repair any plastic defects. Then you paint, SEM Trim Black and Mopar Argent Silver for the chrome trim. Or you can use a chrome motlov paint pen from hobby lobby.

When I refinished my tail panel and grill on my purple 69 I just sanded it down to bare aluminum and polished the aluminum (could probably use another polish), after polishing it I taped it off and spray painted it with some cheap matte or satin black paint from Lowe’s. Looks fantastic still 3 years later.

The console i used the Plastic JB weld to fix a crack and a couple other blemishes, then I used Hammered Black spray paint from Lowe’s and a silver spray paint from Lowe’s. The silver/chrome took months to dry. I ended up putting a carbon fiber overlay on the top instead of wood. It has Held up very well the past few years from me and the kids being rough in the purple car.

If it looks like ****… blame me and buy repops… use your wife’s credit card though, not mine lol. Honestly I’ll probably buy repops because I’m not the most gifted with “restorations.”

B0FCAA15-AEA5-4D83-81F7-70E72AFE3E41.jpeg

882F41C6-01C1-470C-955B-80BFDBB1E1C7.jpeg

F4022F98-71EE-4339-97BB-3C930498B96B.jpeg

61814D95-2E00-42BE-BB0F-3F91EAFE5D5C.jpeg

09265B91-4CDB-4647-B6D8-407900710EF8.jpeg

Your cars paint looks perfect! Care to share the cost of the paint job? Asking for a friend… one who has a painted engine bay the color T5… lol.

The bezel I posted is actually a Repop bezel, idk how long it has been sitting probably since 2019-2020 as that is when most of the receipts I have are from. And it has been tossed in and out of the car probably countless times before me.

I have some extra bezels I was going to practice on. Some old threads say to strip the paints via Yellow EZ Off oven cleaner (or a stronger concentrate with Lye in it, but that can damage the pieces fyi).

After stripping the paint it is time to clean up any imperfections. You can use Plastic JB weld to build up and repair any plastic defects. Then you paint, SEM Trim Black and Mopar Argent Silver for the chrome trim. Or you can use a chrome motlov paint pen from hobby lobby.

When I refinished my tail panel and grill on my purple 69 I just sanded it down to bare aluminum and polished the aluminum (could probably use another polish), after polishing it I taped it off and spray painted it with some cheap matte or satin black paint from Lowe’s. Looks fantastic still 3 years later.

The console i used the Plastic JB weld to fix a crack and a couple other blemishes, then I used Hammered Black spray paint from Lowe’s and a silver spray paint from Lowe’s. The silver/chrome took months to dry. I ended up putting a carbon fiber overlay on the top instead of wood. It has Held up very well the past few years from me and the kids being rough in the purple car.

If it looks like ****… blame me and buy repops… use your wife’s credit card though, not mine lol. Honestly I’ll probably buy repops because I’m not the most gifted with “restorations.”

View attachment 1716067894

View attachment 1716067895

View attachment 1716067896

View attachment 1716067897

View attachment 1716067898
I think I'll end up with repops for my bezels. Lots of plastic repairs and just the old stuff being so brittle! Got a couple extra so maybe I'll experiment. Your dart looks awesome! I'm going dog dish and painted wheels as well, dig the look. Honestly I haven't added up the invoices for paint and body, I'm scared. The shop does extremely good work, they'll take it as far as you want to go. It wasn't cheap, but I'll drive this car til I die and maybe add another but its staying with me. Your tail panel looks great! That's what the Dart Swinger was missing, price classes from mother Chrysler. Gonna try to stay somewhat true to the factory swinger with mine (not a numbers car) but make it "look" stock lol.

044.JPG

I think I'll end up with repops for my bezels. Lots of plastic repairs and just the old stuff being so brittle! Got a couple extra so maybe I'll experiment. Your dart looks awesome! I'm going dog dish and painted wheels as well, dig the look. Honestly I haven't added up the invoices for paint and body, I'm scared. The shop does extremely good work, they'll take it as far as you want to go. It wasn't cheap, but I'll drive this car til I die and maybe add another but its staying with me. Your tail panel looks great! That's what the Dart Swinger was missing, price classes from mother Chrysler. Gonna try to stay somewhat true to the factory swinger with mine (not a numbers car) but make it "look" stock lol.

View attachment 1716067903

Well the shop did fantastic. My other buddy keeps telling me paint job is going to cost me at least 7-10k… I tell him harbor freight sells paint guns for sub 100 bucks!

Funny that you literally have the same car as I do. Mine was originally blue or turquoise though, not really sure since no fender tag or build sheet… or original motor lol. Mine will probably stay around for a while as well. And well I’m an addict. I’ll buy another car or 5…

White or black tail stripe and what about interior? I have new black interior but the white interior looks great. Mine will also have steelies and redlines… redlines are the best. I’m going to do a spring relocation so I can run 275s though.

I also agree with the bezel repops… it’s the safest route that is for sure.

Last edited:
Paint job??? DIU? Get quotes for materials. I figure 1-2 gal epoxy primer, yea with activator, 1 gal reducer, 2 gal. high build primer, 2 gal. (some polyetser primer maybe 1 gal. ?), 1 gal.or more of good filler, 1 roll of paper, sandpaper sanding discs (bunch) 5-6 rolls of tape, base? shoot bottom with ????, topcoat 1 gal. single stage or base?? 1 gal clear. mig wire, tips, flap discs, Cost? ha
Good part for me is I always have supplies left over from the previous project!!

Paint job??? DIU? Get quotes for materials. I figure 1-2 gal epoxy primer, yea with activator, 1 gal reducer, 2 gal. high build primer, 2 gal. (some polyetser primer maybe 1 gal. ?), 1 gal.or more of good filler, 1 roll of paper, sandpaper sanding discs (bunch) 5-6 rolls of tape, base? shoot bottom with ????, topcoat 1 gal. single stage or base?? 1 gal clear. mig wire, tips, flap discs, Cost? ha
Good part for me is I always have supplies left over from the previous project!!

Well like stranglehold above, my car will get a proper paint job and all the body work done by a professional which I am not. It’s to nice of a base to have me mess it up.

There’s already a couple of dents on the new panels and on the trunk. I can’t fix it.

I told my wife I am now too old and woreout to do any more body work, so I will look for a done car or send the project to a real body shop.
She said "Like Hell you will!"
End of story.

Yes, They're closed Mon & Tues. Clay Sr lives on the property, he's semi-retired. Clayton does most of the business although he has another job. Call Clayton, but you might have to leave a message and wait for him to call you back. They have people who will usually pull the parts for you. Attached is a business card.

View attachment 1716067621

They do not have any A body bucket seats from a 68/9 right now.

Well like stranglehold above, my car will get a proper paint job and all the body work done by a professional which I am not. It’s to nice of a base to have me mess it up.

There’s already a couple of dents on the new panels and on the trunk. I can’t fix it.

The bodywork is 8/10th the time and cost. If you pay a pro for that, you might as well have them paint it.

A screwup with the paint can turn back into more sanding and body work. Would be a shame to see it perfect in primer, then have to redo it again and wind up 50% over budget..

You're not missing much by letting someone else do the paint. You can always shoot smaller panels and engines and transmissions with all manner of colors, and much lower stakes if there's a run or wrinkle.

The bodywork is 8/10th the time and cost. If you pay a pro for that, you might as well have them paint it.

A screwup with the paint can turn back into more sanding and body work. Would be a shame to see it perfect in primer, then have to redo it again and wind up 50% over budget..

You're not missing much by letting someone else do the paint. You can always shoot smaller panels and engines and transmissions with all manner of colors, and much lower stakes if there's a run or wrinkle.

Oh I’m not painting the new dart. And I think I am going to steal strangleholds T5 color with more pearl flake in it. I’m really liking the color lately….

Budget? What’s that? Lol. Actually I have no clue what a good paint job with some body work done will cost, most I see is people saying 7-10k.

Fun story of painting the car between my wife and I earlier. We are in Vegas visiting family right now and my wife and daughter are going to Taylor swift tonight. We bought 4 tickets in November for $115 each.

Here’s the conversation - “As I was driving back to the hotel, I asked if she would meet me with the kids outside and we could leave to her sisters house.” My wife just replied with “it would be helpful if I came into the hotel to help bring the kids down to the car…. So I replied "you know what else would be helpful? Selling those 4 tickets for 12k and paying for the paint job on your sons car..."

I have already contacted a painter near Springfield that is recommended in the Springfield mopar group.

I’ll probably look for another painter in the area as well, so I can get input from more than 1 shop.

B0ED73BA-379C-44CB-B8D3-52C844157AA0.jpeg

Last edited:
me too, much nicer (imo) than the blue/green color.
My son doesn’t think so but I am going to show him a turquoise dart in the next hour or 2… as long as it is still there. A Q4 is a really cool color and IMO would probably have a better resale value long term.

were you planning to sell it then? it's only paint and it's your car, have it how you want it. if it's ever sold the new owner can choose to repaint if he's fool enough not to like the copper color :lol:
neil.

My son doesn’t think so but I am going to show him a turquoise dart in the next hour or 2… as long as it is still there. A Q4 is a really cool color and IMO would probably have a better resale value long term.
Normally, I prefer going with the original color, but in your case the T-5 is so much more attractive than either of the torquise colors. Plus your engine bay is already done. You have my approval to go Copper! :thumbsup: Don't tell your son I said that!

-
Back