Swiss 65 Valiant Station Wagon 273cui

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello everybody

I have now exchanged my golden 68 Valiant 170cui (see picture) for a 65 273cui SW.

It came to this by chance :)

How it came to this
The golden Valiant, originally belonged to a guy who owns about 30 Swiss Barracudas and Valiants. Most of them have been standing around for 20-30 years. A friend of mine bought 3 Valaints from him 3 years ago (including the golden one) and sold me this golden one.

After restoring it for over 2 years, I went to a meeting. There the guy suddenly showed up and was pleased with my restoration. He wanted the golden one back. :)

I told him I was more interested in an exchange. So it came to the fact that he offered me two station wagons. A 66 Slant Six or the 65 LA. I always wanted a station wagon, cause I have too much sedans...
Since I enjoy restoring it and it is my dream car, so to speak, we exchanged it. So he got his original car back and I got my dream car.

'bout the 65 SW
It is a Swiss car. The interior is in a very good condition and there were a lot of parts.
Years ago a restoration was started, as you can see. But rust has settled on the sheet metal. But nothing is rusted through. Apparently the upper part was painted with a metallic paint. I don't like this at all. Now I think about whether I should paint it red or blue (the original colors from 1965) or just original again as you can see below (I don't know what this color code is called, maybe someone knows it?).

What I will do for sure besides the technical one:
-Convert to Dual Master Cylinder
-Paint the engine compartment in car colour
- And if that's possible with the '65 273: double exhaust

:steering:

b2899663-863a-44e3-8411-3d2b6291e6a2.jpg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-28 at 21.48.47.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-14 at 21.29.27.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-28 at 12.57.06.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-28 at 12.21.17.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-09-28 at 12.21.19.jpeg

Your wagon’s color looks like the light gold Poly - same color as a Valiant convertible I used to have and a 65 Barracuda I parted out.

You should be able to add the dual exhaust (double exhaust). The Barracuda I parted out has the same floor pans as your Valiant and had dual exhaust. I had a 65 Dart back in the 80’s where I added dual exhaust. And I will be adding dual exhaust to my 65 Dart wagon.

FWIW my wife and I visited Switzerland last year meeting up with another FABO member. We’re going back next year visit with them again.

Could you please shoot a readable picture of the fendertag on your car. I see that it's kinda unmolested under the hood. Even the Bendix check valve is still there. Cool!

Your wagon’s color looks like the light gold Poly - same color as a Valiant convertible I used to have and a 65 Barracuda I parted out.

You should be able to add the dual exhaust (double exhaust). The Barracuda I parted out has the same floor pans as your Valiant and had dual exhaust. I had a 65 Dart back in the 80’s where I added dual exhaust. And I will be adding dual exhaust to my 65 Dart wagon.

FWIW my wife and I visited Switzerland last year meeting up with another FABO member. We’re going back next year visit with them again.
Thanks :) Could you tell me what I need to replace the stock exhaust for a dual exhaust? Can I still use the stock exhaust manifold?

Early A’s never came with dual exhaust; however, a good exhaust shop should be able to bend the pipes for you. What is called The head pipes (from the manifolds to the mufflers) were done before I got the car and bolted right to the stock manifolds. I saved them as they were in good shape, albeit with surface rust. I will take them to the muffler shop and have them duplicated as they were form fit to the floor pan and really tucked up there. Or I might take my rolox sander with some coarse grit and sand the surface rust off myself and just reuse them. Your other option which will bolt right up is to convert to the HiPo Commando single exhaust system that has larger pipes, flow thru muffler and that sweet sounding reasonator with the big square tip. This setup is one of the sweetest sounding systems the factory ever produced IMHO!

Last edited:
For the early A bodies you’ll have to pull the cross member and make a notch for the passenger pipe to go under.

i agrée, makes it much easier to tuck the passenger side up closer to the floor pan. The one I took off the Barracuda I parted out was as close as it could get to the cross member and floor with out the pipe touching. I’ll use my modified trans cross member never-the-less.

Last edited:
I've started taking the car apart and inspecting it.

Inside I have already repainted the floor (welding...that will come :) ).
As always, I derusted the floor with a phosphorus product, primed it with a special primer and applied a robust varnish.

I'm still not sure how I want to paint the car.
The car was originally in ivory white, but I already have a car in that colour.
I don't like the current colour at all.
Therefore I think of an F4 or F5 with a brown interior.
Or maybe ruby red/bordeaux red? But what kind of interior suits it?
Or gold with a brown interior? It's hard to decide...

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-13 at 20.01.14.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2019-11-21 at 20.45.45.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-28 at 13.11.15.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-18 at 21.17.26.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2019-11-09 at 15.11.13.jpeg

-
Back