Switch issue???

-

lodaddy

Reaction score
74 Doddge dart Swingwer 318.MOST of the time will only start after releasing the switch. Cranks over and over but will not start but timed right, release the switch VAROOM! Any help? thxs:!:

Could be the switch but more likely a wiring problem.

Here's how Mopar ignition works:

In "run" (jumping ahead) you have power from the ign switch normally "dark blue" goes out to the engine bay and supplies the top end of the coil ballast resistor, the alternator field, electric choke if used, and carb idle solenoid if used.

The above is "cold" during cranking

During "crank" (twist the key to "start") there are TWO wires hot

One is the yellow (or yellow/ tracer) comes out the bulkhead and fires the start relay if the neutral safety/ clutch safety is made, and the relay fires the starter

ALSO hot during "crank" is the brown which comes out and hooks to the coil positive, which bypasses the coil resistor.

Have you made any wiring changes to the ignition? MSD, etc?

Take a test lamp and find the brown coming to the coil positive (coil end of the ballast resistor) and see if it's hot when you twist the key. Probably not.

Now go up to the column switch and this should STILL be brown, probe it there and see if it's hot.

If so, probably the bulkhead connector

If it's cold, could be the connector on the ign switch, or the switch itself.

I'm having the same problem except with MSD ignition, dist., and coil. also I have a wiring harness from EZ wiring. Do I just have it wired wrong at the switch?

Hi Pauly, be glad to try 'n help but you should start your own thread. Gets too confusing.

been there on that one, on mine think it was the "start" wire on the bulkhead connector
broken off. Think I broke it when I was messing with the throttle cable assembly. Please don't bypass the ballast resister like I accidently did when I relocated the electronic
ignition box - ran for a while and then started acting very strangly, I fried my coil.

-
Back