switch over to 4 barel and headers

-

deputybob2004

Reaction score
any easy way to change my 225 one barrel carb to a offy with 4 barrel and then add hooker header? Ive been told it will be a job, but I really like the car so i think it is worth it.
Any advise on starting that will make it easier would be great. thanks bob
75 duster factory air car with 49,110 miles

Get a Holley 390 cfm with electric choke, install the vaccume secondary quick change kit, offy intake with adaptor plate, Lokar throttle and kickdown cables along with the little bracket for the rear carb stud.
Im not sure on any interferance issues with the AC and the intake/headers.
All it takes is time and money.

100_0870.jpg

100_0868.jpg

Right now it is with the exception of the intake and headers. I am getting a cam for it and getting the head milled a little and then dropping it in a 48 chevy. if you are keeping your stock cam you will be fine with the Holley 350 and headers.

Hay 360scamp Can you tell me why my 390 holly list 8007 looks different
then yours, Is it just because it is a dual feed.
or a different year.

You seem to be another great slant man.
What are your thoughts on my carb Please.:-D

And Thanks again

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 089.jpg

What brand of headers you guys like using on these slants? and does anyone else make a intake besides clifford?

Offenhauser (Offy) makes one that you can find used of ebay or craigslist all the time. I am useing a pair of shortie clifford headers.

faststuff.jpg

Yup, into a pair of flowmasters and out of a pair of T/A challenger tips on a 48 chevy. :toothy10:

Cool I always wanted to put one in my 50 plymouth but couldnt see cutting up the heater duck work So it still sits with the other projects

The Chevy guys are gonna love it ! My dad has a 55 ford pickup with a 440 He loves it even though most people frown at it

I had an Offy 4bbl manifold, a Holley 390 vacuum secondary carb, Comp 252S cam, hooker 6 into 2 under chassis headers and the head planned 0.060" for increased compression. This engine was hooked to 2.25" diameter dual exhaust and an A833OD 4spd.

It ran very well and was a significant power increase over the stock 225.

FWIW, the carb in 360scamp's pictures is a stock carb with side hung float bowls. Memike's picture has optional center hung float bowls and the quick change secondary cover.

the one I have look's like a single pump and vacuum secondary.

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 121.jpg

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww 120.jpg

that holley does have the dual metering blocks & center hung bowls

Can you explain
the dual metering blocks & center hung bowls, Is that a good thing or bad?
I am not a tec, and would like to know more about what you are talking about
If you have the time.

Can you explain
the dual metering blocks & center hung bowls, Is that a good thing or bad?
I am not a tec, and would like to know more about what you are talking about
If you have the time.

Holley makes two series of carbs that look very similar;
* 4160 which has a metering block on the primary and a metering plate on the secondary. Most of these also have side hung floats and a single fuel feed but some have the center hung floats such as the #3310 750cfm. I believe all 4160's are vacuum secondary carbs
* 4150 which has metering blocks on the primary and secondary. Most all of these have center hung floats with the dual feed for the fuel. They can be either vacuum secondary or mechanical secondary.

The 4160 came into being to create a less costly carb. The metering plate on the secondary side is cheaper than a metering block at the expense of not being as easily adjustable, there are no screw in jets, the whole plate has to be swapped and there are not as many choices. The aftermarket has metering plates that accept screw in jets to solve the problem.

The center hung float came into being to better control the flew level in the bowls on road race cars. Lateral G's can hold a side hung float open allowing the carb to flood. This set up is more costly and that is why the 4160's typically don't have them.

Holley sells kits that will allow you to swap side hung floats to center hung, and swap from a secondary metering plate to a metering block.

Holley sells 4150 series race oriented carbs that get rid of the choke provisions and add in replaceable air bleeds for more adjustability. The top of the line carbs replace cast metering blocks and base plates with billet aluminum that are more precisely made with even more adjustability with the added durability of billet over cast.

For a slant 6 that is primarily for street use there is no real reason pay for the extra bells and whistle. A standard 4160 series 390cfm carb with a secondary metering plate and side hung floats is more than adequate. The $8 quick change vacuum secondary cover is a worthwhile addition to make swapping springs on the car a breeze.

Holley carbs use side hung or center hung bowls.Yours appears to be center hung (I prefer them)the metering blocks are normally not used on the secondary side when it is vacum secondaries, but they are always on double pumpers for fuel metering adjustments.You can keep them on with vacum secondaries for more secondary metering control, or you could remove them.I would check to make sure the bowls would work without the blocks, I'm not sure if they're interchangable?You would definatly have to change the bolts as they are different lengths.Does the rear bowl have an accelerator pump like the front?If so it was possibly a mechanical secondary/ double pumper.

-
Back