Switched Coil now it wont start. 1972 Swinger 318

-

asimas

Reaction score
Dart was running fine up until I decided to put a HP coil from accel. Made the switch and the engine would turn over but not fire. Pulled the plugs and I have no spark. Swapped the old coil back in and same situation still no spark. :banghead: Anyone have an idea of what could cause this? Car has a Mopar orange box ignition.
Thanks in advance!

Dart was running fine up until I decided to put a HP coil from accel. Made the switch and the engine would turn over but not fire. Pulled the plugs and I have no spark. Swapped the old coil back in and same situation still no spark. :banghead: Anyone have an idea of what could cause this? Car has a Mopar orange box ignition.
Thanks in advance!

Do you have voltage to the + side of the coil with key on? If so, how much? Now go to the - side. With the key on (ign) do you have voltage? How much? Now have someone crank the engine over & watch for the voltage to change as you crank it. It should drop toward 0 & back up again (you can use a test light for this & watch the light flash) for every time the cylinder should fire.

Any chance you got the wires backwards on the coil. It wouldn't be the first time someone has done it.

It would still run with coil wired backwards. Does the coil have a radio suppression condenser / capacitor? This goes to the POSITIVE side of the coil

How about a tach? Could the tach wire become grounded?

Unhook anything extra from the coil, you should have just two wires from the ignition.

The coil had 1 brown wire to positive side and 2 cables on negative side- one was directly grounded and the other hooked to the ecu plug.

Fixed the problem. The condenser had a bad ground. Wire brushed the connections and it fired right up. Thanks for your time and advice!

-
Back