switching salvage title to clear title

-
sure there is...I think in NY...you have to fix everything obviousely and have all receipts for the parts to prove they arn't stolling parts...Then you have to make an oppiointment with the state to have it inspected....250 for the inspectiona and don;t be late they can send you back home

:toothy10:
was wondering if there was any way to switch a salvage title to a clear title?

I assume you have already had the car repaired and inspected by the highway patrol, and have it titled in your state,as a "good" title now, but it's stamped salvage, or reconstructed, or R title, right ?? If so, each state is different. Some states all you have to do is transfer/sell the title/car to a family member or a friend (then transfer/sell it back into your name later) and the salvage, reconstructed, or R stamp is taken off the title by your states DMV. Some states the title/car has to be sold/transfered out of state, and then it will be removed by the DMV in that state, :toothy10: and then some states it doesn't make any difference what you do, it NEVER comes off. :toothy10: ONE WAY OR THE OTHER, if you follow your states rules, they'll let you know what is allowed, and what's not. And of course if your a used car dealer, it's a whole new ball game.Good luck.

Don't know about AZ, but, in California that's a felony last I heard. It's called washing a title.

Every state has different rules on this. Check with AZ MVD about the process if it's even possible to remove the salvage/branded title issues.

sure there is...I think in NY...you have to fix everything obviousely and have all receipts for the parts to prove they arn't stolling parts...Then you have to make an oppiointment with the state to have it inspected....250 for the inspectiona and don;t be late they can send you back home

THATS how you go from a salvage certificate to a salvage title.

I had to do it here in Washington. I now have a clear title in my name with collector plates. Mine wasn't a "salvage title" though. I had NO title and NO vin tag. If I can get it done I'm sure you can. It does cost a few hundred dollars though. And EVERY state is different on the legality of the situation.

Don't know about AZ, but, in California that's a felony last I heard. It's called washing a title.

Every state has different rules on this. Check with AZ MVD about the process if it's even possible to remove the salvage/branded title issues.

Felony......... Only if it's done illegal, I don't know how that would be possible.. even in California ..... DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME, It's the DMV in your state that takes the salvage, reconstructed, or R title stamp off of the title, if that's what your state laws dictates to be done ,,,, YOU WON"T HAVE A CHOICE, But like I stated before, every state has different rules, and if they don't allow it to be removed, it won't/can't be removed. Some do and some don't..That's all I'm saying here. There's nothing illegal about it , IF YOU FOLLOW YOUR STATE RULES.......:-D:-D:-D Crackedback is right about calling your state DMV, they'll tell you if your state removes these things or not. Some do, and some states don't. I have personally done this several times with salvaged vehicles in my state 6-7 years ago. Nothing illegal about doing what your state allows.

Felony......... Only if it's done illegal, I don't know how that would be possible.. even in California ..... DON'T MISUNDERSTAND ME, It's the DMV in your state that takes the salvage, reconstructed, or R title stamp off of the title, if that's what your state laws dictates to be done ,,,, YOU WON"T HAVE A CHOICE, But like I stated before, every state has different rules, and if they don't allow it to be removed, it won't/can't be removed. Some do and some don't..That's all I'm saying here. There's nothing illegal about it , IF YOU FOLLOW YOUR STATE RULES.......:-D:-D:-D Crackedback is right about calling your state DMV, they'll tell you if your state removes these things or not. Some do, and some states don't. I have personally done this several times with salvaged vehicles in my state 6-7 years ago. Nothing illegal about doing what your state allows.

In CA you wash it, it's a felony! A kid that lived near me went to the big house for 3 years for doing it.

There was a big stink in this state about 10-15 years ago with cars being bought at salvage auctions and titles getting washed. Some pretty stringent laws were passed.

The reason some cars end up as a salvage around here is, anytime the insurance pays off/totals a vehicle, it gets branded. Even if it needs nothing but a paint job. Pretty stupid when running driving cars are branded the same as a car that is stripped to the bone or torched.

Do call the MVD in AZ to find out what you can do. You definitely don't want to run afoul of them as they can be the nastiest SOB's you've ever run about against.

reason i was asking is because i was looking at a srt10 ram and it was a salvage title. i didn't go throw with the sale because the truck has two accidents both pretty serious even though just looking at it and driving it you couldn't tell. hopefully tomorrow ill have pictures of the another truck that im sure to buy.

reason i was asking is because i was looking at a srt10 ram and it was a salvage title. i didn't go throw with the sale because the truck has two accidents both pretty serious even though just looking at it and driving it you couldn't tell. hopefully tomorrow ill have pictures of the another truck that im sure to buy.

So... You looked at a truck with a salvage title, but you would want to clean that title up if you got it.

You are here asking for help.

Help that could only be used to "F" over someone when you go to re-sell it.

Because.... If you were never going to resell it it wouldn't matter.

You are cool dude.

People died to give you the freedom to rip people off.

It IS A LEGAL PROCESS IN NEARLY EVERY STATE IN THE UNITED STATES TO REPAIR A SALVAGE TITLED CAR/TRUCK !! There's nothing illegal about it. As long as you go thru the legal process. And if the shop that does the repair is reputable,, it's usually closer than the factory in regards to the overall specs. I've repaired many. And it has to be inspected by 'State Inspectors' (that know they're job very well) , and they go over the car with 5 fine tooth combs. Checking measurements you wouldn't even imagine, AND IF THESE MEASUREMENTS DON'T MAKE , THEN NO TITLE AND IT'S DEEMED NOT ROAD WORTHY. . and lots of paper work. Also most all insurance companys today will insure this "repaired/re-titled car as a normal valued car. NO cut rate pay off if your involved in a accident because it was once a salvage titled car. Which confirms what I'm saying here, if it passes state inspection it's deemed road worthy,and as good as it was before the accident. So if your considering buying this truck, just do your own inspection, or have a body shop put it on a frame machine, if this would ease your mind. I think you'll find everything is as good as new. AND IF YOUR STATE IS ONE OF THE STATES THAT REMOVE THE SALVAGE OFF YOUR TITLE, SO BE IT. Also, it can be sold out-of-state, after you own it and if it's sold to one of those states that automatically removes the salvage stamp, it's gone forever, it's out of your/our control. Every state has they're own/different laws, again, it's out of our controll..That's your state government at work. I don't agree with that, 'BUT IT'S STILL NOT ILLEGAL' if your state removes it,,, but if it bothers any of you out there, write to your governor/congressman and complain to them. You CAN re-build a salvage car/truck in the state of California, and Arizona, but the salvage will remain on the title, unless it's sold out-of-state to one of the states that remove it. THAT'S NOT "WASHING A TITLE" OR DOING ANYTHING ILLEGAL.IT'S WHAT EACH STATE DOES... MAN, I sure hope before everyone gets carried away here, this clears this up. Good luck......:toothy10::toothy10:

Go to DMV.org and check your current state laws . I checked a few random states and I found none of them offering a clear title on a salvage vehicle just a rebuilt title and also keep in mind if your talking about a late model vehicle you can't change CARFAX records .

carfax sucks.......and this is why i just went and looked at a jeep to buy at a used car dealer,.......keep in mind i am an auto restore guy and now crap when i c it............. now i had the sales pull a carfax and it said the jeep had never had a problem even tho i should the salesman sanding marks and yes if you can believe it even masking tape that was forgotten, now as far as i could tell the frame was kinked two times and straightened and the entire front clip had been replaced........ just a thought watch out for carfax.....

carfax sucks.......and this is why i just went and looked at a jeep to buy at a used car dealer,.......keep in mind i am an auto restore guy and now crap when i c it............. now i had the sales pull a carfax and it said the jeep had never had a problem even tho i should the salesman sanding marks and yes if you can believe it even masking tape that was forgotten, now as far as i could tell the frame was kinked two times and straightened and the entire front clip had been replaced........ just a thought watch out for carfax.....

x2 I hate carfax We bought a van when I was a teenager that had obviously been wrecked. My Mom and Dad had never bought a car from a car lot before and made the mistake of trusting them at their work (didn't look hard enough before we bought it, but after legal threats they took it back finally) from a huge car dealer in St. Louis and the carfax said it had never seen any damage but when we took it to a friend of my dads shop and put it on a lift the crossmembers were all tweaked along with several other problems we noticed when we really started looking. I for one will never trust a carfax

Once a title is branded it is picked up by CARFAX . There are ways to hide repairs from CARFAX but once the BMV/DMV has branded the title it will be picked up in a title search .

It's title washing when someone in California tranfers the title to another state that will clear it, then brings it back to California and tries to retitle it here as clean. I would think this is how the felony thing would come down on someone the hardest.

Another problem are states that clear the titles of insurance totals when the dealers there have them fixed, and then they sell them on a national forum like Ebay or classifed websites. Some of those cars end up sold to California residents without being disclosed as once being salvaged. That's also considered title washing here in California.

Granted, the rules are different in other states, but that's how it is here. I've heard that Texas will clear them and this is where a lot of the cars had come from that started all the drama that led up to the legislation.

Now what I'm curious about is the inocent buying and selling of classics that takes place in our modern day market. I'm sure a good percentage of them have salvage titles, but are rare enough that potential buyers don't care.

lets say a guy is selling a car in California on Ebay and it's fully disclosed that it is a salvage. Some guy that lives in a state that will clear a title buys it not worrying about the salvage because he knows he can clear it. To him, there is nothing wrong with this practice because it's perfectly legal in his state

Then after he grows tired of the car, he decides to sell and ends up finding a buyer right back where it started in Califonia. He doesn't disclose it was once a salvage because he inocently figures it's a good clear title. He's not being devisive and trying to cover something up, he's just selling a car he thinks has a clear title because his state says so.

The new buyer in California then goes to the DMV for a title and the guy behind the counter drops the bomb that it was a salvage that has been 'title washed' and it's a felony!

Now you end up with three people being dragged into court. The original seller covered his butt, but he still has to go through all the hassle. The first buyer/second seller is going to be raked through the coals, but in his state he did nothing illegal. The latest buyer just wanted a cool car and now he's dealing with a nightmare and wants restitution. Everybody loses and nobody was trying to do anything wrong.

What I'm getting at is, there should be some kind of federal position on this. That, or there should be some kind of common ground that all states will recognize what has been done legally in other states. If every state has it's own unbending position and they conflict wildly, there is a big potential for corrupt people to profit, and inocent people to be prosecuted.

I would only say to anyone looking to 'clear' a title to think about it long term. If you're doing it to sell a car, you are probably setting yourself up for trouble. If it's a car you plan to keep forever, or you know you will disclose about when you decide to sell, then it shouldn't be a problem if it's within the laws of your state.

hey what is your email... i live in sacramento CA and i wana know what states i can make the titles on the cars clean and how to do it... thank you for your time

When you go through inspection and it passes the title comes back R titled it means it is restricted. Then if it goes to another state it has to be done all over again.
:wack:
Jim

Pay attention here guys. There are ways to do this legally......in some states, however in the same turn in some states this attempt to goof with a title will get you some time. Wonder why it's not a national thing so we have an even playing field throughout the entire country? Be careful and be aware of what the laws are where you live.
Small Block

i'm sure its a loop hole that makes ya able to legally do it. i for one would be pissed if i bought a used car with a clean title and later found out that it was a salvaged car. thats fraud in my book. i don't care what loop hole is out that that makes it legal in certain situations.

I'm with ya Joe. I would want the seller to be up front on any transaction. Are there searches one can do to enable one to look into a history on a car? I'm sure Carfax dont go back as far as some of our cars are old. Just a thought entered my small mind. Which would be worse? Getting a rust bucket with a clean title full of bondo and paper towels or a cleaned titled car that's had all the body panels replaced correctly with good workman ship? Just a thought.
Small Block

-
Back