switching to aluminum high flow waterpump, questions...

-

Challngd73

Reaction score
Ok I have a 66 273 motor with the original iron water pump, that needs to be replaced. I purchased a flowkooler aluminum water pump. I want to make sure know everything that needs to be changed... I already have an aluminum radiator with passenger side outlet, and a timing cover off my 1970 340 with the correct timing tab for a passenger side outlet water pump. So I need to get a new alternator bracket and power steering bracket? what pulleys would i need? I am using a pusher electric fan. I have an alternator bracket in mind, but no idea where to get the right power steering bracket. Would a power steering bracket out of a 1970 small block car work? Any help is appreciated, and yes i know going with the factory cast iron water pump would be easier, but I am switching over to the 1970 340 next year so I didnt want to waste money on a part i can swap over. car is a 66 cuda. thanks in advance.

I bought the bracket set from CVF Racing when I made the swap , however it only works with a specific Saginaw PS pump and it had a slight belt rub from the PS belt on the water pump pulley which I just fixed after 3 years by buying their billet pulleys for the crank and water pump -check their site for more info .
Bottom line when I made the swap none of the pulleys from my 69 319 would line up with the 70 up water pump you are switching to .

I bought the bracket set from CVF Racing when I made the swap , however it only works with a specific Saginaw PS pump and it had a slight belt rub from the PS belt on the water pump pulley which I just fixed after 3 years by buying their billet pulleys for the crank and water pump -check their site for more info .
Bottom line when I made the swap none of the pulleys from my 69 319 would line up with the 70 up water pump you are switching to .
Well thanks for responding. That is very good info. So you did use your pulleys initially?

I did this on my 65 273. My motivation was because the alum w.p. was 1/2 the cost and seemed better. I suspect my new radiator was intended for a slant (1.5" bottom tube). That was at the Autozone desk. I am wiser now (ebay troll). Roll up your sleeves.

The extra 1" thickness makes me unable to use a clutch/fan, so got a thin Summit nylon fan w/ no spacer. Your TRW p.s. pump was never used w/ the alum w.p., so no brackets exist. I got a later Federal p.s. pump (looks similar) and new brackets from maybe Bouichillon Performance (BPE). It sits lower and barely clears the K-frame. Might have been better to get a Saginaw pump (more efficient and common). You will have to change to later p.s. hoses since Federal (and Sag?) pumps have an O-ring outlet (not inverted flare of TRW) and a smaller return tube. I also changed both fittings on my p.s. gear to match (or make custom hoses).

I had to play with pulleys. My car has the original crank damper, but I cut a new slot to match the new timing tab. A later damper might make crank pulleys easier (thicker?), but don't get one for a cast crank (I think). I have the original 2 V metal crank pulley with a 3rd V alum pulley inside for the after-market AC (had beastly Tecumseh compressor). As I recall, my alternator runs alone off the middle V and p.s. and w.p. run off the 3rd "AC" V. The inner V looks so buried w/ the alum w.p. that probably unusable. When I add AC, I will likely run it off the alternator belt. The w.p. pulley is a very short alum one (ebay), not nearly as deep as the original steel one. I posted photos some time back of my setup. I recall others routed belts the same. Can't tell you belt PN's, but just download a Gates catalog. V-belts come in 3 widths and every 2" increment in circumference, so easy to pick the PN you need.

No the older pulleys will not line up unless you have extra v grooves to play around with and even then they seem to be a little off , as Bill mentioned the pump sticks out further so I bought a post 1970 360 crank pulley and water pump pulley from another member here and ran them with some after market billet brackets I got from CVF Racing , I ran these for the last 2.5 years but there was always a slight rub on the water pump pulley which was bad enough that I actually chamfered the edge of the belt to lesson it , I now have the billet crank pulley and the billet water pump pulley from CVF as well and the rub it gone , mixing and matching is a nightmare so make friends with someone at your local parts store because every time you try to change something the belt sizes will change as well , I'm lucky DusterGlen works at my local parts store so I can run back and forth with an open invoice until we get the right one for the car -Thanks Glen buddy .

I bought a flowkooler for my 318 a few years ago. It did give me more flow but didn't seem to help with keeping the car any cooler. The down-side is that there's so much flow that it eats away at the stock timing chain cover behind the water pump and actually eats through it causing a leak in a very short time. I'd stick with a standard pump and fix the radiator instead.

so expensive, and challenging? sounds fun haha. thanks for the info guys

well just got done doing the final belt swap and the grand total for 2 new belts after 1 returned unused old belt was 10 bucks , not too expensive -thanks again DusterGlen

I bought a flowkooler for my 318 a few years ago. It did give me more flow but didn't seem to help with keeping the car any cooler. The down-side is that there's so much flow that it eats away at the stock timing chain cover behind the water pump and actually eats through it causing a leak in a very short time. I'd stick with a standard pump and fix the radiator instead.
My radiator is a brand new 4 core aluminum unit. My timing chain cover is off my 340.

Just bought a 273 water pump. going to keep the flowkooler for my 340 build and change all the pulleys and brackets when I switch motors.

-
Back