Synthetic oils

-
Well I see it like I said it. I think for the most part, synthetics are a waste of money and a marketing gimmick to get in your pocketbook. I mean, just look at any Ford product. Their owners manuals say 7500 miles for oil changes and 5000 miles for what they call "severe service", and that's for dino oil. I'll be a sumbitch if I'm gonna do oil changes every 3K miles. It's a waste and a myth that the industry has sold to the public to sell oil. It's bullshit and can be debunked anywhere you look. And the thing is, even if you only drive the thing a few times a year, as long as you DRIVE it when you do and long distances.....long enough for the moisture to burn off of the oil, you got it made. Now I ain't against synthetics.....they have their place. But for these older engines, yall are just slap gettin sold a bill of goods if you think synthetics are the end all be all. It just ain't so. Good old 30 weight worked back in the day and it'll damn sure as hell work now. The two most important things with oil are 1) CHANGE it and 2) Make SURE the engine HAS some.

For normal service engines, yeah, go with your system.
Synthetics were developed during WW2 (the big one) for use in fighter airplanes and for tanks in extreme cold weather. Is that old school enough for you?
Hype? i don't think so. Necessity is more like it.
Mineral oil itself does not wear out, it gets contaminated and the additive package wears out.
It's the flow characteristics and the extreme protection during start ups especially in cold weather where synthetics shine. The other area it shines well is the lack of thermal breakdown under extreme heat and pressure of synthetics as opposed to mineral oil.
If you are in doubt, go ask any aircraft mechanic as i did. Synthetic oils are the industry standard across the board and have been for many years. The mechanic i talked to has been working for Pratt-Whitney for over 30 years rebuilding specifically helicopter and light to medium duty aircraft engines, i think he would be a competent source if any.
I seriously doubt that you would see anything in formula one car engines other than synthetics as well.
For daily drivers and low rev/low stress conditions like most of our daily drivers, buy what you want and change it frequently and you'll be fine.
Buzz a smallblock to 8,000 rpm with heavy valvesprings all season with out at least an additive package in your conventional engine oil, and see how long it lasts.
Hype? No.
Bullshit? Not at all.
The marketing of synthetics are fighting with each other the same as conventional oils fighting with each other for market share.
You don't see Ferrari advertising that their car is a better performance car than a Ford Focus. Same idea. Both cars are good for their intended use, same as synthetics vs conventional and their prices reflect that.
You get what you pay for.
No bullshit.
Tom.

The above post is a good example of what synthetics are about. Quality synthetics and quality conventional oils will do what they are designed for. But synthetics will provide an extra measure of protection with HP, mileage and extended life of the engine as a bonus even if nothing compromises the protection the oil provides, like parts failure, pressure loss, etc. Aircraft are a perfect example of where that "extra" protection/insurance/durability is needed. Should there be a problem at 20,000 feet, one can't simply pull over and call a tow truck.

In a passenger or race car application, if you want an extra measure of "insurance" with the additional benefits mentioned, quality synthetics are the way to go to protect your investment. Insurance-wise - "standard coverage" fulfills some peoples needs just fine while "full coverage" works well for others. It just depends on your needs.

Synthetics were developed during WW2 (the big one) for use in fighter airplanes and for tanks in extreme cold weather. Is that old school enough for you?
Tom.
banana oil, polyolesters, & diesters. not really synthetic oil as compared to today. more like a different type of oil. the Germans however did make 100% synthetic fuels.

Here's my whole point. If properly changin dino oil will make an engine last more than a lifetime, why the HELL do you need anything else? OTR truck engines routinely log over 1,000,000 miles before a complete overhaul. Yeah, that's ONE MILLION MILES. I've worked on um, serviced um. Seen first hand that the dino oil works FINE in heavy duty applications. Necessity? My big ***. More like LAZYNESS. All the synthetics are good for IMO is strecthin out oil changes. Since synthetics cost more, the cost balances out. I say run whatever the manufacturer says run, keep it changed at the recommended intervals and you'll be fine. Millions of people have been doin just that for a long time and it WORKS just fine. We ain't flyin around in high dollar aircraft or drivin around in multi million dollar tanks. Sayin synthetics are a necessity when your owners manual doesn't require it is a stretch at best. A fool and his money are soon parted.

banana oil, polyolesters, & diesters. not really synthetic oil as compared to today. more like a different type of oil. the Germans however did make 100% synthetic fuels.
which leads to the obvious question. if they could make 100% synthetic fuel in 1943, then why not today? I'm sure the oil companies would loose billions.. becouse independant companies all over would be making it. look up the patents on synthetic fuels worldwide. and who owns them..you'll see the light. which leads to why are they making synthetic oils? its a gimmic to make billions. they add some plastics to the formula, charge double or triple per liter. sweet scam.

We ain't flyin around in high dollar aircraft

I must say, I pay enough for my hotrods and everyday vehicles that they feel like high dollar aircraft. I'm sure others would agree, which brings me to this point...when my slant 6 is straining at almost 130 mph in the 1/4 mile or the viper is at 170 on the freeway. Why would I take a chance with a product that might fail and send me into the ditch or wall? Oil is the life blood of your engine and spending a bit more for added security is well worth it. Remember now, the coolant only cools 60% of your engine and the rest is up to the oil. Oil is important! I have lots of stories about Amsoil but know one wants to hear about 40,000 mile oil changes and such. And I would get called on expressing my opinions and not facts. Although, I do know the people in the company, how hard they work and how much they believe in their product (and USA made).

Most of the Synthetic oils are good oils and you can't go wrong, I prefer Amsoil because of my history with them. I sell Valvoline dino in my shop for the non believers as well. Later

Here's my whole point. If properly changin dino oil will make an engine last more than a lifetime, why the HELL do you need anything else? OTR truck engines routinely log over 1,000,000 miles before a complete overhaul. Yeah, that's ONE MILLION MILES. I've worked on um, serviced um. Seen first hand that the dino oil works FINE in heavy duty applications. Necessity? My big ***. More like LAZYNESS. All the synthetics are good for IMO is strecthin out oil changes. Since synthetics cost more, the cost balances out. I say run whatever the manufacturer says run, keep it changed at the recommended intervals and you'll be fine. Millions of people have been doin just that for a long time and it WORKS just fine. We ain't flyin around in high dollar aircraft or drivin around in multi million dollar tanks. Sayin synthetics are a necessity when your owners manual doesn't require it is a stretch at best. A fool and his money are soon parted.

Yep, you gotta do what you feel is right for you.
Ever wondered though if you substituted "junk food" for dino oil in your statement and "healthy food" for synthetics.
Would you would find that your statement would be the same, or would it be a bit different according to logic on your life expectancy?
Just curious. :-D

No because oil is not food nor does it even compare. Likewise have you ever wondered why auto makers put 7500 miles for oil change intervals, yet people cling to stupid myths like 3000 miles? I've seen people stretch dino oil out to over 10K miles between changes and get 200K on engines. I don't buy into marketing hype. Feel free if you want to. It's your money. :)

one of the guys I work with is a Corvette guy (mental case!) and he sez that they come from the House with Mobil1 synthetic in them. I haven't verified this but i never would have thunk it.

one of the guys I work with is a Corvette guy (mental case!) and he sez that they come from the House with Mobil1 synthetic in them. I haven't verified this but i never would have thunk it.

Quite a few manufacturers ship their cars out with full synthetic.

Mobil 1 10w 30 full syn for my Dodge Ram. You can get it at WalMart... might be made in China however. LOL
Lots of talk out there about Mobil 1. I used to use it in all my vehicles and my Harley until 2002 when I blew the lower end on my 27,000 mile Harley on a road trip. Mobil would do nothig for me even though they had an oil nsample that showed wear. They said it was acceptable.
I did some research and switched to Royal Purple. Their grades 10W40 and over have zinc for anti wear. Since 2002 I've put well over 200,000 miles on my cars and 50,000 miles on another Harley motor with absolutely NO issues.
Check them out. It's pricey but available at NAPA and O'Reilly. They originally started out as a racing oil for drags and stock cars.

I've run my last 4 cars on Castrol syntec and Elf synthetic , change oil and filter every 28,000 km or so and never burnt oil between changes, all cars had over 450,000 km on them when sold with zero engine problems . No oil used between changes , pans were clean , no sludge build up . Cars were 1977 ramcharger 440 over 400,000 miles , 90 T-bird S/C 190,000 KM (STOLEN) 1992 T-bird S/C 470,000 km , Ford Exploder 440,000 km , current Nissan pathfinder 120,000km and 2009 Jeep Sahara 60,000 km .
The 90 bird factory supercharger oil was spec'd to change every 60,000km , 92 bird had synthetic oil in supercharger that was spec'd for life of car .
Changing oil every 5,000 km is a waste of resources , have had the oil analyzed a few times at 28,000 km and they were still acceptable . The oil change schedule is there to MAKE MONEY and keep the dealer and corner garage busy , at leat that's my opinion .
And I beat the crap out of those cars .

My eng has been alive for 16+ years!
lift its life on 20/50 casto changed every 3,000 miles until about 5 years ago.

Now it gets changed one a year, now that i has become a trailer queen. and only go down the track maybe 10 times a year(14 sec car)

last year i switched to 5w20 Mobil 1 when from a 9.8 to a 9.6(1/8 mile track)

Syn will give you better mileage and power?????????

It will if you pushing 85psi+ with that thick stuff LOL

I won't us syn in my daily driver because it cost to much and I'm going to change it every 3000 mile whether it SYN. or NOT!!!!!!

I have a 91 Dodge Diesel that has 260,000 on it and the oil stay clean between oil changes!

If you are some one that tend to go over your 3,000 oil change , then syn my be to your advantage.

Just another opinion:tongue1:

My eng has been alive for 16+ years!
lift its life on 20/50 casto changed every 3,000 miles until about 5 years ago.

Now it gets changed one a year, now that i has become a trailer queen. and only go down the track maybe 10 times a year(14 sec car)

last year i switched to 5w20 Mobil 1 when from a 9.8 to a 9.6(1/8 mile track)

Syn will give you better mileage and power?????????

It will if you pushing 85psi+ with that thick stuff LOL

I won't us syn in my daily driver because it cost to much and I'm going to change it every 3000 mile whether it SYN. or NOT!!!!!!

I have a 91 Dodge Diesel that has 260,000 on it and the oil stay clean between oil changes!

If you are some one that tend to go over your 3,000 oil change , then syn my be to your advantage.

Just another opinion:tongue1:
i bet it was the going from 20/50 to 5/20 that got you the .2 diff

I use only mobil 1 in my 04 ram and grand cherokee. all my muscle cars get regular 10w40 mobil, and I use a zinc additive.

i bet it was the going from 20/50 to 5/20 that got you the .2 diff
Yup:thumrigh:

But with the thinner oil, i broke down and went for the extra protection/expense of syn.

After all this eng is vary old. And NO, it didn't start leaking out all the seals when i changed too syn ether.

Synthetic oil is not for people who are too lazy to change their oil. Its for people who care about this little thing called thermal breakdown. A conventional oil will break down to its lowest viscosity when subjected to extreem heat or abuse,where as a high grade synthetic oil will consistently hold its viscosity no matter the heat or abuse(within reason).Its not a scam,its not lazy, its the truth. Mfg. like mobil 1 and Castrol spends $$$ and time testing these things. Just check out bob the oil guy,so much info it will make your head spin!

Bottom line: Daily driver,slant six, no frills, never above 4500 rpm..etc... run what ever you want to run,it wont really make a diff. Conv. oil if you are budget minded,synthetic if you can spring for it-for the perpose of being able to run a lower rated viscosity for better mpg,faster warm up,easier cold starts...etc.

High comp. big block,small block,turbo slant six 7500 rpm,clutch dumps,WOT shifts,burnouts,stop light to stop light just like to beat the piss out of what you drive,synthetic is the only way to go.

Thanks to a suggestion by a good friend who knows his ****,and only runs mopars, I like Schaeffers oil. Trust me your mopar will thank you.

Vipers, Vette, a lot of exotic Euro crap (Ferrari Enzo oil changes are over $1200, $800+ for the special Shell Synthetic just for that car- I know a guy who has one not far from me)...
One thing about today's motors in passenger cars- very thin rings, especially oil rings. The cleaner you keep them, the less likely they are to get 'sticky.' My '99 Regal w/ a modded S/C engine has used Royal Purple or Mobil 1 since it got broken in. We tore it down when the transaxle came out (wife blew it up @ 150K)- it was super clean and showed only minor wear on the big ends of the rods, and the taper at the top of the cylinder was barely measurable- could have gotten away w/ dingle-ball honing of the walls, but I had .020 over Mahle pistons and plasma moly rings. With everything else it has, this car should last to 400+K miles (on the odo)- unless people keep rear-ending it, that is!:banghead:

Lots of talk out there about Mobil 1. I used to use it in all my vehicles and my Harley until 2002 when I blew the lower end on my 27,000 mile Harley on a road trip. Mobil would do nothig for me even though they had an oil nsample that showed wear. They said it was acceptable.
I did some research and switched to Royal Purple. Their grades 10W40 and over have zinc for anti wear. Since 2002 I've put well over 200,000 miles on my cars and 50,000 miles on another Harley motor with absolutely NO issues.
Check them out. It's pricey but available at NAPA and O'Reilly. They originally started out as a racing oil for drags and stock cars.

First place I ever saw Royal Purple was not even around a car- their bearing grease was being used @ International Harvester's engine plant (Indianapolis) on the conveyor belt roller. Imagine freshly poured diesel blocks, green mold sand, et cetera being dumped on these belts day in and out, shift after shift- I asked one of the engineering guys about it and his thoughts on the brand and he couldn't say enough good things about it.

-
Back