t5 swap in early abody

-

themachine

Reaction score
has anybody done it in an early abody yet, would really like to get some info on this im wanting to swap in a t5 in a 64 valiant behind a 360

any input would be great

jeff

as far as the early a-body goes, you might be on your own....but i cant see it being much different than putting it into a later model a-body. I have one in my car, so if you have any questions feel free to ask. Also, alot is going to depend on if you want a mechanical clutch linkage, or if you plan on go with hydraulic stuff.

Interestin swap. Long as you don't try to hook with it, it should be ok. But put slicks on it and you'll need a wheelbarrow to haul the pieces off.

Interestin swap. Long as you don't try to hook with it, it should be ok. But put slicks on it and you'll need a wheelbarrow to haul the pieces off.

not so sure about that

take a look at alot of fast mustangs on youtube, banging gears HARD with stock t5's...there are a couple of tricks that really help t5's live longer that dont cost much

but the biggest thing is clutch setup (need a soft hitting clutch) and how your DRIVE...the second point i cant stress enough...about 75% of people who drive a stickshift DO NOT KNOW HOW and abuse the transmissions without even knowing it...drive smart, dont miss gears and DO NOT powershift, and it should live

My car isnt a beast, but its survived 9 launches at the track with wheelhop (which kills t5's) and broke the axle and driveshaft yokes... and dozens more on the street with the tires aired down, dumping the clutch at 5k off the two step....hasnt skipped a beat8)

Should be an ok swap if you arent too hard on it. Drive it like a new process and your going to want a good trans blanket, but with street tires it should live a while.

Should be an ok swap if you arent too hard on it. Drive it like a new process and your going to want a good trans blanket, but with street tires it should live a while.

the only way to run one is with a scattershield since you need the quicktime conversion bellhousing

my experience with them has been less than fair

i run a t5 behind a built 368 amc in amx... a t5 behind a stock amx and a chevy t5 in a vega with 150 shot and no problems.... main thing it no side stepping clutch to do burn outs, missing gears... wheel hop... and if they do break common enough to find a replacement... helps i got two of them for free

I've actually been interested in this swap also lately. One of my buds just put a t5 in his mustang to replace the p.o.s. 4vspeed overdrive it came with. Nice ratios. It be a driver trans in a early a.

i run a t5 behind a built 368 amc in amx... a t5 behind a stock amx and a chevy t5 in a vega with 150 shot and no problems.... main thing it no side stepping clutch to do burn outs, missing gears... wheel hop... and if they do break common enough to find a replacement... helps i got two of them for free

how do you do your burnouts? ease off the clutch slowly as the rpms are up?

i use line locks, hold the front brakes rev it say 3000 or slow and let off the clutch... i dont run any super wide tires so they spin pretty easy.

with my vega i can be going 5mph in 1st and put it to the floor and it just starts to burn the tires.. same in 2nd gear..... if i spray it in 3rd i can also spin them.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0vr_RzIb1c"]YouTube - vega[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HeV2nH6eaU"]YouTube - amx[/ame]
got some wheel hop at the start... i fixed that problem

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ct8juw3wgN0"]YouTube - amx[/ame]

these videos the cars have t5 in them

i use line locks, hold the front brakes rev it say 3000 or slow and let off the clutch... i dont run any super wide tires so they spin pretty easy.

with my vega i can be going 5mph in 1st and put it to the floor and it just starts to burn the tires.. same in 2nd gear..... if i spray it in 3rd i can also spin them.

what gear do you do your burnouts in?

Don't need to see videos. I've seen it in person. I got friends into Rustangs. All of them boys have tore up at least three T5s a piece. One of them is stone stock. T5s are crappola for racin or even tryin to hook hard on the street. I worked at Riverside Ford in Macon and saw a boatload of tore up T5s behind stock Rustangs. World Class T5s. They're junk. Be ok if he never wants to hook up. Still might break though. LOL

not so sure about that

take a look at alot of fast mustangs on youtube, banging gears HARD with stock t5's...there are a couple of tricks that really help t5's live longer that dont cost much

but the biggest thing is clutch setup (need a soft hitting clutch) and how your DRIVE...the second point i cant stress enough...about 75% of people who drive a stickshift DO NOT KNOW HOW and abuse the transmissions without even knowing it...drive smart, dont miss gears and DO NOT powershift, and it should live

My car isnt a beast, but its survived 9 launches at the track with wheelhop (which kills t5's) and broke the axle and driveshaft yokes... and dozens more on the street with the tires aired down, dumping the clutch at 5k off the two step....hasnt skipped a beat8)

Don't powershift? Did you really say that? That's half the fun of bangin gears.

I've never heard of anyone running a t5 behind anything bigger than a stock 4.6 ford motor and having it live very long. If theres a link to any more of these "tricks to keeping one alive" I'd be interested in seeing more.

To be fair, I think it could only help your argument if you did say how to drive a stick the best way. And yes, common sense is not so common anymore so share with us what you mean.

Well if I cant dump the clutch at 5k with sticky street tires or slicks if I want to or power shift I think I would just run an automatic. I can understand wanting the overdrive but I would not want to give up the best part of driving a stick shift car to get it.

To be fair, I think it could only help your argument if you did say how to drive a stick the best way. And yes, common sense is not so common anymore so share with us what you mean.

well lets see here, dont pop the clutch like a moron to start moving and abruptly shock the transmission, dont shift while tires are actually spinning, dont slam the shifter into gear (especially if your just cruising around and if you dont have adjustable stops), dont shift without the clutch, dont....wait, should i keep going, or can you figure out the rest on your own?...theres more (more specific to the t5 as well..but im not gonna list em to get cut up even further)...besides thats not the point of this thread

the point is the OP asked about t5's, and i spoke about my experience with them in a mopar (Which at this point i dont think you have) and how to help them survive...knowing how to drive is one of them, and if you dont know, well then you just dont know i guess...ask anyone running a t5 behind a higher powered car how to help them live, and driving style is one of the first things they will metion, and not just for kicks either

i dont need to answer this stuff anymore since its putting the guys thread off topic anyways

Well if I cant dump the clutch at 5k with sticky street tires or slicks if I want to or power shift I think I would just run an automatic. I can understand wanting the overdrive but I would not want to give up the best part of driving a stick shift car to get it.

do it all the time...Off a two step with ET Streets (DOT slicks) at 3-5k (depending on if burned out beforehand or not...lotsa fun on the street:-D)

like i said, its not for everyone...not here touting it as the best option either...was just trying to point out to the op and those interested it can be done quite reasonably (t5 behind higher powered car)

besides, even speed shifting a stick is funner than driving any auto car, even with manual valvebody...nothing like it imo

i agree there not the strongest trannys but they have overdrive and easy to get. cheaper then a tko or...

only reason there is one in my vega is because a munci 4 speed broke 2nd gear teeth behind motor i have in it now. and munci is suppose to be the best. i put a a 3 speed chevy in it so i could move around yard and my cousin come up and gave me the t5. Its in there to it breaks now

the t5 in my 79 amx (stock 304 4 barrel and headers 2.86 rear) in 5th on the highway i get 25 mpg or better. no powerhouse but works as a driver. customer owed me money so he gave me a parts 5.0 stang so i pulled the 5 speed and sold rest of car on ebay. trans went in my amx

i know there not the best either but there cheap to get and drive the car normal they last......
if i want to beat on a car i jump in my 4 speed cuda's or dusters and go ramming.

From most of what I keep seeing Mshred, a lot to do with keeping these trannies alive is to let the clutch slip a little bit when you change gears, or to get a lower clamping force clutch set up. I know a few people I've rode in a manual car with press the clutch pedal in, change gears and wham, let up on the pedal giving everyone in the car instant whiplash. Surely, driving like that would be the death of a T5???

What bellhousing would you use to put one behind a small block mopar tho?

sooooo....... has anyone have any input swaping this in a 1964 valiant????????

jeff

Mshred, take a brake and relax.

no problem

for any interested in the swap, you can search high and low over the net and talk to local cruise in guys and racers like i did to gather your own info...not going to bother trying to pass on valuable information if its going to be contested

or hopefully there are others on here who have done it and can point you in the right direction, although it doesnt seem like there are many, if any

good luck

-
Back