tach drive distributor

-
depends on who made it and year model, I picked one up from a member for some horse trading and he had $90 on it.
It was for a small block in good shape.
you are talking about a direct shaft/cable drive distributor ?

the old tach drive mopar electronic distributors are very good...two kinds made ..cast iron and new version is aluminum...got one cast iron and 3 aluminums...

paid between 75 to 125 bucks for them....

I have a SB one, I bought here, seller said it was gone through and ready to run, paid $110 for it. Are you selling one or do you have a cable?

So how does the tach drive dizzy work?? Im not familiar with them, but I have one as well but I think it is for a chebby. Would like to learn more.

Not sure about the unit yet i bought a 340 and the guyn said he also had this distributor. I probably will sell it if i get it i dont have a use for it

So how does the tach drive dizzy work?? Im not familiar with them, but I have one as well but I think it is for a chebby. Would like to learn more.

Works the same as a regular distributor. Difference is the tach drive mechanism is integral with the shaft. It turns a gear which spins a cable mechanically linked to the tach. The cable is similar to a speedo cable, it spins inside a housing.

Generally these are a 'race only' part since there is no vacuum advance provision. You need a mechanical tach like a Moroso/Jones type for it to work. S.W. also had one. Kind of a relic at this point but still cool.

I have basically NOS MP aluminum one for a small block. Got a vintage Moroso tach as well, planning on putting it in my Duster at some point. I don't have a vacuum advance on my car right now so it would just be a straight distributor switch with the tach drive.

Think early Pro Stock/Super Stockers from the early '70s.

Works the same as a regular distributor. Difference is the tach drive mechanism is integral with the shaft. It turns a gear which spins a cable mechanically linked to the tach. The cable is similar to a speedo cable, it spins inside a housing.

Generally these are a 'race only' part since there is no vacuum advance provision. You need a mechanical tach like a Moroso/Jones type for it to work. S.W. also had one. Kind of a relic at this point but still cool.

I have basically NOS MP aluminum one for a small block. Got a vintage Moroso tach as well, planning on putting it in my Duster at some point. I don't have a vacuum advance on my car right now so it would just be a straight distributor switch with the tach drive.

Think early Pro Stock/Super Stockers from the early '70s.

Thanks for the info! I thought thats how it worked, but have never seen one in use, so wasnt sure! Gonna have to do some research on the chebby one I got.

Thanks again!

Generally these are a 'race only' part since there is no vacuum advance provision. .

Many tach drive dist's have vacuum. I once modified a Chibby 'vette breakerless (pre HEI) tach drive to fit a Mopar small block

Years ago I had a Prestolite originally a 426 hemi tach. It had both vacuum advance and tach drive. I had a Jones/ Motrola mounted behind the clock/ tach cutout in my 70, which came from th previous owner with a Sun in there.

Attachments

• tachdrive3.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 807
  • tachdrive1.JPG
    10.1 KB · Views: 807
-
Back