Tach mounting

-
BAA5A72D-A6CC-404E-BB0E-678EBD106CF5.jpeg

Two different Dusters, two different concepts, I owned.
I actually like the stock gauges, with the few add-on gauges.

100_2214.JPG

100_2400.JPG

Mine is mounted between the column and the ashtray. Found a position where it is not in the way. Fits great. I rely more on the shift light for high rpm shifts anyways.

View attachment 1716096875

View attachment 1716096876
I have the same dash as you and took out the plastic delete between the turn signals and warning lights (your top picture). I found a tach to fit in there and mounted it in there. I used this tach. I don't have a photo of it mounted yet.

sunpro.jpg

Last edited:
I could probably 3D print up a holder that would fit the contours of the dash and dash pad and use stupid strong magnets (like used on Apple magsafe devices)

I have a 67 dart with a stock dash pad. So that part would be easy.

I would need the dimensions of the tach to be used.

PXL_20230602_030952850~2.jpg

Pm me if intrested

Last edited:
I like wanted a nice tach mount and I wanted it mounted on my steering in a specific location so that I could see all my dash gauges. I did not want to scratch up the column or drill holes any place on/in the dash or the “A” pillar. I wanted a SUN tach but I didn’t want to use the radiator style hose clamp to mount it to my steering column. So I designed my own using Autocad and had one machined out of billet aluminum. I had 3 machined, at the time I had two ‘68 Dart GTS’s so I put on in each Dart and sent one off to a friend (who I met here on FABO), in Arkansas for his 67 Dart, (I do not know if he used it), sold the automatic Dart to a gentleman in Ohio. Still have my 5-speed Dart. I designed the inside diameter to be slightly larger than the column to put a thin strip (.020), of rubber between the tack mount and the column. Installed with two 10-32 counterbored socket head screws to mount the bracket to the column and one 6-32 socket head screw to mount the SUN tach to the colum.

thumbnail_IMG_20140122_054850_261.jpeg

thumbnail_IMG_20140122_055157_691.jpeg

I'm putting a tach on my 67 Dart. I'd like to put it on the column, but being a column shift car, the space is tight there. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures on where they mounted their tach?

Thanks!

I'm putting a tach on my 67 Dart. I'd like to put it on the column, but being a column shift car, the space is tight there. Anyone have any suggestions or pictures on where they mounted their tach?

Thanks!
When my shift light comes on its very bright and obvious, even down on the floor. I've had my tach mounted on the dash the column, etc. Found this to be the perfect spot.

20191001_112122.jpg

Since a few may wonder what's up.with that.
A close up of the NOS Export Speedo

speedo240KPH.jpg

Here is my tach mount.

Originally had it mounted under the dash but that made it hard to read while grabbing gears.

IMG_8575.jpeg

IMG_8576.jpeg

Find a 16ga chunk of aluminum and bend it in a "U" shape. Transfer punch tach mounting pattern and drill. Clean up tooling marks, paint your color of choice, use button head allen fasteners to mount tach. You can use some adhesive backed foam under the bracket or felt to protect the dash pad.

20230601_191348.jpg

Last edited:
I like wanted a nice tach mount and I wanted it mounted on my steering in a specific location so that I could see all my dash gauges. I did not want to scratch up the column or drill holes any place on/in the dash or the “A” pillar. I wanted a SUN tach but I didn’t want to use the radiator style hose clamp to mount it to my steering column. So I designed my own using Autocad and had one machined out of billet aluminum. I had 3 machined, at the time I had two ‘68 Dart GTS’s so I put on in each Dart and sent one off to a friend (who I met here on FABO), in Arkansas for his 67 Dart, (I do not know if he used it), sold the automatic Dart to a gentleman in Ohio. Still have my 5-speed Dart. I designed the inside diameter to be slightly larger than the column to put a thin strip (.020), of rubber between the tack mount and the column. Installed with two 10-32 counterbored socket head screws to mount the bracket to the column and one 6-32 socket head screw to mount the SUN tach to the colum.

View attachment 1716097671

View attachment 1716097673

You don't by chance:

A. Have the cad dimensions?

B. Plan on making any more?

This seems like the perfect, elegant solution to the problem.

Heres where I mounted my Tach, on my 69 Slickback. I just used some 3-M double sided mounting tape. No holes were drilled.
Dave

20230612_134614.jpg

20230612_134624.jpg

20230611_202142.jpg

DSC04574.JPG

DSC04786.JPG

Do you still utilize the trans gearshift indicator on the column??? If not disconnect the linkage that moves that part of the column housing...

I missed the column shifted part of the first post.
IMG_1976.JPG

This is in my column shifted swinger - tach and oil pressure under the corner of the dash

I have mine like this for now, may move to top of dash with under the pad mount. I have a tach drive moroso unit I plan on adding to the 67 barracuda project if I ever get to it. Too much fun with this car!

8CDDE92F-35A1-4BFE-A34F-DE538B8AEBFF.jpeg

You don't by chance:

A. Have the cad dimensions?

B. Plan on making any more?

This seems like the perfect, elegant solution to the problem.
Gosh, I designed and had it machined on a HURCO CNC abound 2011- 2012. It was machined from a single piece of 4 inch round by 1 inch thick aluminum round stock. All machining was done as a single piece except for the 10-32 tapped threads there is a note on the drawing. I still have my autocad drawing (corrected a spelling mistake on it today). I am trying to load a photo of the drawing but I am having difficulty creating it ... I will keep trying.

-
Back