tach wiring question

-

daredevil

Reaction score
Got a vintage Mallory tach i,m putting in my car. Its one of the early 5 inch 10,000 rpm tach with no rev limiter or shift light. It has 5 wires coming out. Red,orange,black,green and white. Red is most likely hot and black is ground. Orange should be lighting but i,m not sure. Found a site that says the white is connected to the tach signal output of my msd and the green gets grounded. Hooked up several in my life and the green was always negative side of coil connected.Dont want to flatline the tach. Anyone positive this wire setup is correct?

Attachments

• 2-11 (Large).jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 816
Do---noo. You should be able to eliminate some of it. The ground should have continuity at zero ohms to some part of the circuit board--part of it that "looks" like ground, IE traces that occupy a lot of area. or even the case

You should easily be able to trace out the light, especially if it's removable. If it's wired either like my post, or the way the link you posted, ground should be one side of the light.

So you should be able to "try" what you think is the lamp, remove it, and the continuity should go away.

Once you have that, NONE of the other wires should show continuity of any sort to the one wire to the removed lamp, and the ground side should show "something" depending on which way your probes are placed.

In other words, let's say you suspect white to ground is the lamp.

Hook your meter up, and if you get a fairly low reading, remove the lamp.

So is white ground or black?

Hook your probe to white, with the lamp removed, and try the other leads. IF white was the "hot" lamp lead (lamp removed) there will be no continuity anywhere, IE "infinity" resistance.

IF black was indeed ground for the lamp as well as the tach, then the other leads should show some resistance, maybe high. Turn your probes around (reverse polarity) when checking the other leads to your "suspect" ground.

I think it's a pretty sure bet that red is power.

You might ohm out what is now left over, and see what you find.

This is what I got from a old mallory diagram.It is for a 5 wire tach.Hope this helps. Mark
WIRING INSTRUCTIONS
Wiring diagrams for this unit are shown on the back of this instructions sheet.​
RED​
12 volt power​
BLACK​
Ground​
GREEN​
Trigger from ignition​
ORANGE​
To tach trigger lead and/or
fuel injection trigger
Connect to the ignition supply lead. This is normally the wire from the ignition switch.
Connect to a clean ground on the vehicle frame or sheet metal.
Connect to the “TACH” terminal of the ignition system.
Connect to the tach or fuel injection trigger if the tach is a voltage triggered model that
requires a high voltage signal.
Do not use this wire if the tach is a “series” type, such as those used on older Ford and AMC
vehicles. In this configuration, the ignition power wire serves as the tach trigger wire. Current​
pulses from the Mallory Tach Adapter will trigger the tach.

-
Back