Tach wiring

-

jeryst

Reaction score
I bought an original console mounted tach for my 68 GTS. It has a newer 360 with electronic ignition.

There are 4 wires on the tach. Can someone tell me which one goes where, and if it will work with the electronic ignition?

What are the 4 wire colors to help , I have a Smith tach from the 70's what I wired to electronic ignition.

Kenny

You should have a running light wire, a feed wire from the negative side of the coil, and a 12+ wire and a ground
I have found on many tachs that the green wire is coil ground, the white wire is the running light, the red is the 12v+ and the black is the tach's ground

But what colors are they on yours?

Had the tach at my garage and didnt have a chance to get a look at it until yesterday.

The wires are orange, green, gray, and black.

If you want to play it safe, pull it apart and you can easily identify the lamp and ground. I'm guessin' black and gray

Then all you have left is power and coil "neg" and you can't blow up the tach if you switch those.

I know this is a rare option, but I'm hoping someone out there has one installed and can tell me what goes where. I'm not the type to experiment, because I learned long ago that I cost myself too much money when I do that - lol.

Are you sure the grey wire is really grey?

Ohm test between the orange and grey then orange and green, which ever yeild 0.000 would be ign/dash lights

Then just hook up the orange and black then the green to coil neg, it can't hurt anything that way...and if it it read with motor runing or zeros with just key on, there ya go..

Are you sure the grey wire is really grey?

Ohm test between the orange and grey then orange and green, which ever yeild 0.000 would be ign/dash lights

Then just hook up the orange and black then the green to coil neg, it can't hurt anything that way...and if it it read with motor runing or zeros with just key on, there ya go..

I don't understand your strategy on this at all. In any case, here's what the 67 shop manual said

Black is ground

Green is coil neg

Orange is lamp

Violet is what's left, obviously goes to switched power.

2lk9qac.jpg

I don't understand your strategy on this at all. In any case, here's what the 67 shop manual said

Black is ground

Green is coil neg

Orange is lamp

Violet is what's left, obviously goes to switched power.

2lk9qac.jpg

Thanks. Could be violet, but looked gray to me in dim light.

-
Back