Tail Light Dim on one side.

-

APK

Reaction score
A fellow club member was following my 1972 Dodge Dart remarked that the brake light on the drivers side was dimmer that the passenger. I removed the brake light lenses, turn on the emergency flashers and noticed that on the passenger side the smaller element was flashing bright, but on the driver's side the larger element was flashing dimmer. Is it probable that the hot wires on the driver's side are reversed than on the passenger?

Possible. Is it possible that the bulb got jammed in the socket backwards? I would install 2 new bulbs and see what hapoens.

Do you find the opposite effect when just the tail lights are on?
I forget... Are the 2 pins staggered at different depths to prevent incorrect insert?
Maybe Incorrectly made Chiwanese lamps?

Swap the bulbs and see if the problem swaps side to side. If it does it's the bulb, if it doesn't it's the wiring or a corroded socket or something.

Swap the bulbs and see if the problem swaps side to side. If it does it's the bulb, if it doesn't it's the wiring or a corroded socket or something.

What he said. ^^^^^^^

Power is swapped somehow if one side the larger element lights and the smaller on the other.

Power is swapped somehow if one side the larger element lights and the smaller on the other.

Or back flowing from a bad ground and using the other element as a ground path.
I like using a wire clipped to the bumper and then I touch the socket with the lights on as it immediately points out a bad ground.

maybe try a better ground on that side ??

I thought that too at first, but normally, there is one ground wire for the rear section.

Now, if it grounds through the tail socket teeth into the body of the car, then I can see where it could be a separate ground issue.

Good call Bob, he probably should check both.

I pulled the connector apart in the trunk on the driver side and used a volt meter. With the headlights on one of the blades registered 12 volts. With flashers on the other blade registered 0-7 volts as the lights flashed. Put the connector back together, pull the bulb and check the contacts in the socket, one 12v, one 0-7v. Put the bulb back in the with flashers on and took one of my volt meter wires, one end touching the bumper and the other touch the casing of the bulb I was able to get the brighter element to light up. Noticed a hard gray substance, probably JB Weld, around rim of the light housing. Looks like this socket has been replaced and I guess it is not making ground for one of the elements unless I help make a ground connection. If I stick a small flat blade screw driver under the bulbs collar in between it and the socket, I can also get the bright element to burn.

Is there any thing I can do to achieve a ground with this replacement socket or do I just to replace it or the whole assembly housing as I am afraid the JB Weld is a result of the previous owners attempt to replace just the socket?
20161014_194936.jpg

Fixed!! I have never installed a replacement socket so I am not educated on this but neither was the person that installed this replacement socket. I tapped down the little tabs that were sticking up all around the socket so they could make the ground connection but never could get the to make flush contact. Ended up putting a little solder each of the tabs to make my ground connection and now my bright element burns for the brakes, flashers, signal light.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
-
Back