Tail light housing restoration

-

Yote

Reaction score
Posted my lens repair on members restorations , probably wrong place. I have another lens to do. But anyway, the interior of my tail light appeared to have a chrome (paint) . It has been blasted and ready to renew. Would any "chrome" paint be adequate? What would those that have done it recommend? Also what color should the exterior be? It also appeared to have remnants of a chrome paint. Is seems that I remember it being a natural pot metal color.
Where can I find the seals/ gaskets for the tail lights ?
Yote

Last edited:
I have done primer and white spray paint long ago because the chrome paint seemed dull. The paint worked for awhile, but if you cruise alot and have the original bulbs, the heat buildup will take it's toll. I have recently recleaned and prepped the housings and applied aluminum foil that has adhesive on it...comes in rolls of various widths. The brightness after doing the foil makes it look great day and even better at night.
I also wet sanded the lenses to get rid of nasty white residue and small cracks then put 2 thick coats of plastic restorer on the lenses.

Thanks for the reply but just finished mine yesterday. Duplicolor chrome paint on the inside over self etching primer ,looks pretty good. Rustoleum cold galvanizing paint for exterior. Polished lenses with Purple Metal polish after repairing broken pieces. Had to buy complete paint gasket set to get the gaskets. Bought LEDs to install when gaskets arrive. Put pics on other posts in the last week.
Yote

I have done primer and white spray paint long ago because the chrome paint seemed dull. The paint worked for awhile, but if you cruise alot and have the original bulbs, the heat buildup will take it's toll. I have recently recleaned and prepped the housings and applied aluminum foil that has adhesive on it...comes in rolls of various widths. The brightness after doing the foil makes it look great day and even better at night.
I also wet sanded the lenses to get rid of nasty white residue and small cracks then put 2 thick coats of plastic restorer on the lenses.
I had to replace one of my housings on my Swinger and was wondering about the foil tape trick. Both of mine don't have much silver left. Thanks!

I had to replace one of my housings on my Swinger and was wondering about the foil tape trick. Both of mine don't have much silver left. Thanks!

Tail lights vs brake lights

20170520_205645.jpg

20170520_205648.jpg

I replaced the lower bulb & socket with dual filament too to enhance the output just a tad more.
The pics do make the lights look brighter than they really are, but they are bright and LOTS more noticeable than what spray paint will do even during high noon sunlight.

-
Back