tail light lens

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
Jamison has a small hairline crack in the edge of one of of his tail lights. Anyone have a good fix for repairing a crack in transparent plastic?

What year model and witch one ,left or right ?
A hair line crack could be sealed up from the inside with a fine line of supper glue if it can be taken apart and it should stay clear, clean and prep the back and spray with a small can of chrome paint for a better reflection, I have used aluminum foil to do this, wad it up then straighten it out and with just a couple drops of supper glue lay it behind the bulb, I did a fury this way on one side and had to do the other side because the one with foil in it was so much brighter 8)

Right side, '72 Duster. Exposed area where the silver is painted surrounding the exposed red, right on the corner. Super Glue would have to be used on the outside. Problem is, would it melt the plastic? Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. Upper corner of the tail light, in the raised silver area where to light actually comes through the tail light panel. (I'd draw a circle around it, but don't have the software to do so.)

011.JPG

With the flat surface is there any interest in replacing all the lens with home-built ?

It took some time with the camera, but I think I've got a decent photo of it now. If you look at the corner you can see the crack.

034.JPG

Its in the corner right? In the silver? Just grind a little glue it sand it and paint it.

Got no problems with the grinding, filling, sanding, and painting. I'm looking for recommendations on which glue to use. Will Super Glue do the job or will it melt the plastic enough to "puddle" it?

Yeah, I guess going through the parts bin to find one I could less about is going to be the way to go. Too bad I just threw a busted tail light away from off the Ramcharger from when an a**hole in a Chevy pick up rear ended me.

I have used super glue to repair all the broken studs on my GTX grill and any other broken posts. I then would finish with some epoxy around it to really secure it. The epoxy wouldn't work on the outside but you could put some on the back side to help stiffen it up.
But to answer your question Robert, yes the super glue works but be careful around the red lense(I see you have it taped)so as not to haze it.

Eastwood makes a lense repair kit for the actual colored lenses. I have not tried it but am intrigued.

I have used super glue to repair all the broken studs on my GTX grill and any other broken posts. I then would finish with some epoxy around it to really secure it. The epoxy wouldn't work on the outside but you could put some on the back side to help stiffen it up.
But to answer your question Robert, yes the super glue works but be careful around the red lense(I see you have it taped)so as not to haze it.

Eastwood makes a lense repair kit for the actual colored lenses. I have not tried it but am intrigued.

Where the crack is is what bothers me. One slight hit on that corner, putting it in or in storage might just finish it off. I have no problems with being able to grind it down, and have filler specifically made for bonding to plastic, flows nice, sands easy. Just want to make sure Super Glue isn't going to f*** things up more than they already are. All I've got here are the tail lights for my 'Cuda to experiment on. In other words: ain't gonna happen!

Fixed! Keep an eye on Jamison's '72 Dustpan resto thread for the fix, and updates coming within the next week or so. You'll see that either he or I bump it up, tons of photoes!

-
Back