Tail pipes location!

-

Sublime69

Reaction score
Ok so its time to put some tail pipes on my 69 dart. I want them to be more hidden. I dont want gaudy chrome tips coming out under the bumper. Im looking for just a simple turn down tip that is tucked under the car. Post some pics if you have something like that! I need some ideas. Thanks!

Ok so its time to put some tail pipes on my 69 dart. I want them to be more hidden. I dont want gaudy chrome tips coming out under the bumper. Im looking for just a simple turn down tip that is tucked under the car. Post some pics if you have something like that! I need some ideas. Thanks!

Mmmm, gaudy. That's a new one.

Gaudy meaning large aftermarket chrome tips that sick out a foot past the bumper. I dont mind factory looking tips but for my application I want something discrete and tucked under the back of the car.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmwKtUBee6c"]1969 Dodge Dart Dynomax ultra flow welded mufflers - YouTube[/ame]

"Gaudy chrome tips"? The stock style? You're kidding, right? This was part of the cool '60s styling of the cars. Plus they add to the great sound. Every time I see an old Mopar without them I wonder "why" someone would not want them.

First off that car looks amazing. Great job.

TTI tails have a turn down end that if fit right hides most of the exhaust.

I've personally always wanted a partial through the bumper tip like the new dodge rams and many of the other new cars have.

"Gaudy chrome tips"? The stock style? You're kidding, right? This was part of the cool '60s styling of the cars. Plus they add to the great sound. Every time I see an old Mopar without them I wonder "why" someone would not want them.

Did you not read my second post?! I said I dont mind the stock looking tips... I hate the giant after market ones... and again this is my opinion, if you dont agree, thats fine.. go post else ware then.

First off that car looks amazing. Great job.

TTI tails have a turn down end that if fit right hides most of the exhaust.

I've personally always wanted a partial through the bumper tip like the new dodge rams and many of the other new cars have.

I was thinking i was going to get some custom made, but ill check out the tti ones. Thanks!

Thats what im looking for! Do you have any other pics of them under the car??

I don't have any and they currently aren't installed on the car so I can't take any. I lowered the ride height slightly and now they don't fit, I'm in the process of remaking them. Fitting a 3" pipe out the back on a car with mini tubs and inboarded springs is no easy task. There is about 3.5" of clearance at most, they snake up over the axle, then go outboard and run between the leaf spring and the frame rail to get around the gas tank, then they go inboard to clear the rear spring shackle, then straighten out and come out the back. If that makes sense.

Here is a pic of the rear of my car... Is there a way to run a 3" pipe to the outboard side of the springs?

Attachments

• Dart 008.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 358
Was just wondering if how maddart did his on his scamp page 53 just looked through if that would work for yours, if not might need to be custom bent to get it to curl to the outside of the rails. Can see your fuel pump is the reason why you need it. Awesome build. Course he's converted to coil overs in the rear so might need to add some small bends to the tti end pipes.

Here is a pic of the rear of my car... Is there a way to run a 3" pipe to the outboard side of the springs?

From that pic I think it would be tough, it doesn't look like you have 3" of space between the spring and the tire. You have a lot more room between the spring and the frame than I do, so you should be able to get something to fit in that opening.

I found a pic of the underside that shows the routing... Don't mind the hanger, it was trimmed after the pic was taken. This side was easier than the driver side, I have SS springs and there is a lot less room on the other.

Was just wondering if how maddart did his on his scamp page 53 just looked through if that would work for yours, if not might need to be custom bent to get it to curl to the outside of the rails. Can see your fuel pump is the reason why you need it. Awesome build. Course he's converted to coil overs in the rear so might need to add some small bends to the tti end pipes.

Thanks, ill check out his page! Im assuming ill need some custom pipes made.

72Duster440, so that was before you lowered the car? Now they rub? Did they rub at all before?

That was before, I dropped the rear about an inch and now the pipes rub against the axle a little, before they would only hit the axle if I nailed a big bump too fast.

The driver side pipe is a lot tighter fitting than the passenger side.

Attachments

• 10685553_10204960777048563_439296892838861523_n.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 306
  • 20150430_150855.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 276
Did you not read my second post?! I said I dont mind the stock looking tips... I hate the giant after market ones... and again this is my opinion, if you dont agree, thats fine.. go post else ware then.

Why the $hitty attitude?

-
Back