Tail shaft housing

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
I am going to be replacing my tail shaft bushing. I have been told by many that I need to remove my hole tranny from the car in order to remove my tail shaft housing on my A833 4 spd.

I had a 3 spd laying around the shop, so I took out the speedo gear, and then unbolted the tail shaft housing bolts, and the housing slid off with no problem.

It sure looks the same as my 4 spd, so wouldn't the removal be the same? I have had some people tell me that I need to remove the side cover on the tranny and undo some clips befor the tail shaft housing will come off my 4 spd. I just don't understand why it would be different than the 3 spd.

The only thing that should be different is in the tranny itself...not the tail shaft housing. Right?

Thanks

Phil

hi, get a trans book, there is a large snap ring that holds the rear main shaft bearing in tail housing. the tail housing has to be removed from main case first
then can remove tail shaft to get to the bushing. a 3 spd and 4 spd are not alike. the 4 spd is made by new proccess, 3 spds are a mopar trans.

hi, get a trans book, there is a large snap ring that holds the rear main shaft bearing in tail housing. the tail housing has to be removed from main case first
then can remove tail shaft to get to the bushing. a 3 spd and 4 spd are not alike. the 4 spd is made by new proccess, 3 spds are a mopar trans.

That is what I am talking about. I am not talking about removing the tail shaft. There is a long thin bushing in the end of the tail shaft housing that needs replacing. at least that is what I think people are talking about.

Phil

I am talking about these bushings. http://www.brewersperformance.com/products.asp?cat=16&pg=2

-
Back