Tail stripe

-

JTG

Reaction score
I notice that the reproduction tail stripes are available in Matt Finish or Gloss Finish, didn't the stripes from factory only come in Matt finish?

Not on my '69 Dart 340 Swinger. The stripe was vinyl but had a shine to it - not as glossy as the paint, but certainly not a matte finish.

if you are looking to get a semi gloss, 3M came out with a good quality semi gloss in the 1080 series. if you ask for the 1080 series, make sure it's written on the back paper. if it's not on the back, you re getting a lower grade of vinyl.

Thanks for the responses.

Has anybody used any of the stripe kits from Year One? if so, were you happy with the quality and the application of the product?

Mine's from Phoenix Graphix. Very happy with it. It's not matte, more like the finish from Trim Black paint. Kind of satin not quite semi-gloss but not matte. http://www.phoenixgraphix.com/p-d.php

I had a local stripe guy apply it. I knew there were many ways for me to screw it up trying to line up all three stripes, getting them to cross over the marker lights just perfect and then both meet up with the deck lid with the center of the "V" centered on the lid.

He charged me $80 and it took him about half an hour from start to finish. The areas you really have to watch are the low dips on the top of the quarters between the top body line and the trunk opening. If you aren't careful, it will lift there while squeegeeing the rest of it if you slide it tight. Also be very careful not to stretch the stripes while removing the backing or with the squeegee. I've seen a couple cars at car shows where the thin pinstripes are wavy from being stretched.

He did a perfect job lining everything up with the deck lid, the marker lights and with the folding over the deck lid lip and running the quarter panel stripes down into the trunk opening. Also nailed the seams on both sides of the rear valance.

-
Back