Tailshaft bushing

-

MOPARJ

What can I upgrade now?
Reaction score
Is it ok to drive with a minor grumble/resonance at highway speed caused by a worn tailshaft bushing? Side the side play is present, but not more than .025”. Rest of drivetrain, ujoints, and driveshaft are all new/rebuilt and angles are correct, and engagement into trans is ok.

The 833 OD has over 75K on it and needs freshening, but won’t happen until the summer. That is when I would ideally replace the bushing.

I'd hate to say yes and it have it fail on ya... but I would expect the bushing to just wear out more and more... which would be ugly if it were to wear out fully

Once the bushing is worn enough the seal will fail. Park it facing uphill and come back to find a bunch of trans fluid.
I exited out to where my car had sat in front of a hospital for two days. Found a lot of speedy dry had been spread behind my old Plymouth. Quite embarrassing.

Indeed, the trans has leaked for a while from somewhere on the left side after sitting overnight, so I tend to park downhill or level, never uphill.

Yikes, when I saw "tailshaft bushing" I had to respond. Back in 1969, I was being an idiot teenager and driving my 1968 Roadrunner way too fast and the transmission exploded, and the problem was in the tailshaft. I believe I was told, maybe by Dick Landy, that the bushing in the tailshaft was a weak link.

My transmission was an AT, but the term "tailshaft bushing" brings back bad memories.

Last edited:
-
Back