Tailshaft swapping an RV 727, What output shaft is correct?

-

Vamisk

Reaction score
So i'll be needing to put a standard tailshaft on a 727.
I can't find any information online but how long is a car 727 output shaft? I see several lengths available and i also see that some are specific years. Can i throw any year shaft into any 727?

Also i was wondering if i waisted $30 on a 904 extension housing or not? I'm having trouble seeing the difference between the two.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
I dont know one tailstock from the next. But that being said if i recall all the 727’s were the same length. Honestly never thought a 904 tail would fit a 727.

What i mean is that i might have bought a 904 tailshaft when i need a 727. All the information i can find is that i need to measure it, but since i don't have the thing in my hands right now i can't do that. That picture was from the Ebay ad.

Pretty sure 904 tail housing is shorter than 727. Then there are several different 727 versions. More details on your swap plan should be provided.
In general, staying with close model year to what you have, the output shaft and tailhousing can be swapped between different 727 transmissions.
I assume you are making a short housing from a 4x4 or van/camper into a long rear wheel drive housing for passenger car?
Here is a picture of an early 80's rear wheel drive truck 727. Fits and works fine in a car, but tail housing looks a little different.
IMG_20171130_191928.jpg

Based on that i'd say i accidently bought a 904 housing.

Yes i have an RV stubby 727 and a matching 440 that i also want to use. I'm going to try and use the same torque converter.
IMG950053.jpg

Do you know what year that transmission is? If not, get the numbers stamped into the side just above the pan at the bottom. That should give you a year range, at least.
Is that the torque converter that came with it? No starter ring gear. Interesting.

Well here's the story, these numbers don't match anything. There used to be a plate on the bellhousing but it's no longer there. I bought this transmission a while back. I'm going to use the converter from the tranny that came with the 440 which still has its ring gear, the fluid from that one was scorched so i'm going save it for a while.
20171023_151754.jpg

Based on that i'd say i accidently bought a 904 housing.

Yes i have an RV stubby 727 and a matching 440 that i also want to use. I'm going to try and use the same torque converter.
View attachment 1715203236
Odd looking converter for a Chrysler. Where's the ring gear? Chrysler has the ring gear welded to the 727/904 converter. Looks like a Jeep/AMC converter to me.

The splines and mating parts on the forward end of the 727 output shaft changed circa 1976. If you mix up parts you can assemble it, but the splines will likely fail. You need a shaft from the same era as you transmission if you intend to reuse all the internals.

904 shaft and tailhousing are different and won't work. You can use any 727 slip yoke tail housing 67 (I think, maybe 66) through 78 or 79.

And yes, I agree, the trans and converter pictured is likely AMC. You are likely looking for a main case as well. Sb and bb tailhousings interchange. Main cases do not.

And yes, I agree, the trans and converter pictured is likely AMC. You are likely looking for a main case as well. Sb and bb tailhousings interchange. Main cases do not.
I have the tranny that came off the back of the 440 anyway.

Are you saying AMC engines had the same bolt pattern as B/RB engines?

Well it's a short tailshaft like the RV transmission I got with the 440. The torque converter also looks different from that one however I cant use it anyway because the 440 is externally balanced.

I would suggest taking a picture of the left side of your transmission. Make it a quartering photo from the rear looking forward at the transmission where the tail housing mounts.
The photo you just posted looks like the mounting flange area of your purchased tailhousing is pretty square. I think your transmission is newer and has an angle from half way up, heading to the top.
I'll include a photo of my latest 727 with tail housing removed. I think yours has this shape.
IMG_20171130_203928.jpg

I would suggest taking a picture of the left side of your transmission. Make it a quartering photo from the rear looking forward at the transmission where the tail housing mounts.
The photo you just posted looks like the mounting flange area of your purchased tailhousing is pretty square. I think your transmission is newer and has an angle from half way up, heading to the top.
I'll include a photo of my latest 727 with tail housing removed. I think yours has this shape.View attachment 1715205038
Yes, I agree. Something doesn't look right with that tail housing.

I see what you guys are saying. When I get back home I'll take a look. At least i only spent $30 as opposed to $120

You know what's missing in that picture "17", provisions for a parking pawl. That housing could be from an early trans with separate park engagement maybe?

That trans looks like a early Cummins trans.

It has the later 66 (or 67?) and up speedo hole size. The heavy duty transmissions that had the drum brake for park were all, to the best of my knowledge, short tail shafts.

Not quite Max. Here's my A230.
I've confirmed it wont fit the 727. This is pretty frustrating.

I'd be tempted to use the A230 if I could find a big block bellhousing for it.
20180731_103941.jpg

-
Back