Tailshaft swapping an RV 727, What output shaft is correct?

-
The long housing style that was used in a 1/2 ton with a 3 on the tree. Compare how it looks where it attaches to your short housing box.

Yes rods to the 2 leavers on the box, long tail may not even have a shifter pad mount.

Oh man, I completely forgot about manual column shift. No wonder there is no provision for mounting the shifter to that tail housing. Good thinking Max.

Now Vamisk, did you say you have two complete transmissions, or just one? There was mention of an adapter that was on a bell housing, but also mention of a 727 that came with the 440 engine you have.
Finding an actual 727 tail housing and output shaft shouldn't be a big deal, once the year of your transmission is figured out.

Thanks Max. At least the mystery is solved.

Yes Bob I have two complete stubby 727s.
One is definitely the mate to the motor so it's a '77 however the transmission fluid is scorched, curiously the motor is exceptionally low miles based on how tight the chain is and the pistons have hardly any carbon (but rust) build up.

The one I planned to use is a mystery but the fluid is clean.

Now I'm thinking I want to use the a230 lol :realcrazy:

Last edited:
The scorched 77 model year stubby could be rebuilt and a long rear wheel drive output shaft and tail housing swapped on at the same time, without getting too crazy in cost.

Good idea. Is there anything else that an rv 727 might have thought bmwould be a no-go on a car 727?

Just the governor weights may be a little off for a lighter car. Not an issue with full manual valve body, and easy enough to change during rebuild if staying with auto shifting.
Sometimes the motorhome trans has four pinion planetaries and four disc clutch packs too, but not always.

Yep, swap the tail housing and tail shaft and you are good to go. Be sure you use a 76 and up tailshaft, it can be from any 76 and up 727, sb or bb. There should be lots in light duty pickups still kicking around.

Your RV stubby will also likely have the desirable hardened input shaft. Look for a splash of yellow paint on the nose of the shaft.

I'm having a lot of trouble locating a tailshaft on the net. I'm wondering at what point will it become more expensive then a 2 piece driveshaft.

I'm having a lot of trouble locating a tailshaft on the net. I'm wondering at what point will it become more expensive then a 2 piece driveshaft.
I have a core that I can pull one out of, it will take me a couple weeks. PM me if you are interested.

I have a core that I can pull one out of, it will take me a couple weeks. PM me if you are interested.
Hey Dave thanks. I'll set some money aside but in the mean time I cant send a PM because your inbox is full

-
Back