Taking a 1965 2bbl 273 to a 4 bbl or commando settings

-

Coryduran

Reaction score
I have a 1965 dodge dart gt, if you aren't already familiar with me and all my questions. Well I have a new one for all you much more knowledgeable members.

I want to eventually convert this engine over to 4bbl, more towards a commando. I'm not really sure though what this would involve. I mean I'd love to make it into a d-dart kinda engine, but that seems like even more work, and I'd rather set my goals a little lower right now ha ha. So, basically my question is what is it gonna take to turn this engine into a 4bbl commando?

Hi again. When you get the input from those who really know what they're talking about ( which ain't me ) I could help out with a stock cast iron 4bbl intake manifold. The 64-65 are different from the 66-later. I had a devil of a time finding an after market intake when I had mine rebuilt.

Heck, I still have all the 100,000 miles cam, solid lifters, etc. Guess I'll make some "auto furniture".

The difference was a slightly larger mechanical cam, stronger valve springs, pistons, intake manifold, afb carb, straight through 2.25 ID single exhaust, dual point fast curve Prestolite distributor, chrome unsilenced air cleaner, and a high pressure oil pump. I would do all, except the pistons if you are going to use pump gas, mostly on the street. Black wrinkle valve covers, chrome oil breather and chrome PCV housing rounded out the appearance items.

The difference was a slightly larger mechanical cam, stronger valve springs, pistons, intake manifold, afb carb, straight through 2.25 ID single exhaust, dual point fast curve Prestolite distributor, chrome unsilenced air cleaner, and a high pressure oil pump. I would do all, except the pistons if you are going to use pump gas, mostly on the street. Black wrinkle valve covers, chrome oil breather and chrome PCV housing rounded out the appearance items.

Alright then, second question haha...

Um, any leads on where I can find this stuff? And how much I should expect to be paying for these things?

Um, any leads on where I can find this stuff? And how much I should expect to be paying for these things?

Here...ebay...and expect to pay. The valve covers go up to $150/pr...chrome air cleaner -same...4bbl intake $100-$140 (remember bolt angle and size difference)...carb could be any amount, as there aren't too many correct ones left...dual points can run up to #100 for correct ones. There are newer, better cam profiles these days than the original Commando ones. Like has been said, I'd stay away from the hi-comp pistons as you'll be running premium gas to keep from pinging to death. If your looking for a correct restoration, go with the 273, but, if you're looking for a cheap, torque monster small block, just get a 360 and rebuild it basically stock...more power and much cheaper.

Good luck.

(Awaiting the flames....)

Just do a 360 and dress it up as a 273 commando. Pretty much all small blocks look identical from the outside. Get the valve covers, chrome air cleaner, and paint the motor the original chrysler industrial red. Youll have one nice little sleeper on your hands.

I looked and looked for a 4bbl intake for my 64 cuda with a 273. Edelbrock doesn't make the one you need anymore. You are looking for their D4B intake. Make sure you don't try the LD4B, which is for 66 and beyond. The only company that I could find still making them new was Offenhauser. They won't cast them until they have at least 10-12 on order and they are expensive. (Approx $600). In May, I called them and they said they didn't expect to be casting any until Nov.-Dec. based on the rate they were being ordered.

This is why I have decided to change from a 273 to a 360.

Best of luck on your search.

You can make a late manifold work, if you're not concerned with being 100% correct, by wallering out the mounting holes and spot-facing the mounting area, or, changing to later heads with the more common bolt angle and size. The LD4B and D4B are the same except for the mounting bolt area.

If you don't want to go with a stock manifold I have an Offenhauser single plane 4 bbl manifold to fit the early heads. I also have an original Prestolite dual point distributor from a 65 Commando engine. Doesn't have a cap but I think it has a good rotor.

If you don't want to go with a stock manifold I have an Offenhauser single plane 4 bbl manifold to fit the early heads. I also have an original Prestolite dual point distributor from a 65 Commando engine. Doesn't have a cap but I think it has a good rotor.

I might have to follow up on you when I get some money, assuming you still have them.

I agree with the rest,you can find a 318 or 360 for much less than you,ll spend trying to do the..Commando..thing.IMO.Parts for the 318,360 are readily available for cheaper also.Checkout the Summit,Jegs,Mancini,s sites for your parts source.

We just got done doing the same type of thing to a '64 Valiant.

Get an Offy intake if you can. For practicality, go with a Mopar electronic distributor. You can run an Edelbrock carb, which is an AFB, but it won't directly fit the intake. Different bolt pattern and smaller bores in the intake, IIRC. The 273 gurus should know more.

I might have to follow up on you when I get some money, assuming you still have them.

I've had them for at least 35 years. :-D Used to run them on my car. Bought the manifold new. I'm in no hurry to get rid of them but I guess they're not doing me any good sitting here either. I'll try to get the manifold out in the next few days & check that all of the threads are still good, etc. It came off of the engine sometime around 1980 & my memory ain't what it used to be. If I was you I'd go with an electronic distributor of some kind. Lot less hassle. I could tell you a story about my dual points almost leaving me stranded on a long road trip once. I was 16 at the time.

Yeah I plan to completely replace the distributor to an electronic system once I get the money together to buy one. Would it be cheaper to drop in a 360? I mean I eventually wanted to drop a bigger engine in there, I was just assuming it would be cheaper to, maybe not do a complete commando conversion, but things like carb, intake, headers, etc.

-
Back