Talkin About The Post Office........

-
I'm blocked by Rusty because he didn't like something that I once said that was the truth, and this will be no different.
It took what it took because the shipper went the cheapest way to ship his package.
That means his parts were tossed into a massive hopper with thousands of other packages and sorted back with other packages that were in the zone he's in.
Statements like these just proves that people don't understand how the process works.
I'll also make this statement, people ***** about the Post Office losing money have no clue. The Post Office is the 2nd largest generator of revenue for the US, the IRS being 1st. At least with the Post Office you get something for your money. Yet, nobody complains when the Dept. of the Interior spends $93.95 BILLION in 2023 alone.
I also want to point out that if you're not happy with your mail delivery service, you could always stop paying your monthly mail delivery fee.
I like hearing input on topics from those in any industry -- it almost always offers insight that folks on the outside miss.

That explanation makes sense, using the cheapest option will take the longest. However, I sold a clutch cover to a member here a while back, and he mailed a money order to pay for it. A money order in an envelope, mailed. Took 2 weeks. TWO WEEKS to receive an envelope with a piece of paper inside. I sent the clutch cover in a large package via USPS -- cheapest option, mind you -- and it was there in a couple days.

I understand it's a massive system with parcels going 'round the world every day, but sometimes it appears a bit broken to me, the layman.

As a postal employee, we are very busy and do a great job. And it's true, taxpayer funds are not used.

I can't remember why or what I had to send (I'm thinking a cashier's check for a purchase) years ago from NC to somewhere near San Francisco by FedEx. Was told if I dropped it off at the local FedEx by 2pm, it would be delivered there next day by 10am. SAY WHAT?
I tracked it and it was delivered on time. I was amazed by that.
When I worked for Purolator Courier in the 1980s you could send an envelope pretty much anywhere in North America for $10.00, overnight. They had developed an excellent system of distribution hubs and flight patterns, it was quite impressive. That was around the time that FedEx was just getting on their feet, and UPS was not a factor, at least here in Canada.

As a postal employee, we are very busy and do a great job. And it's true, taxpayer funds are not used.
I agree overall. But out here where we are, the PO neglects our rural carriers terribly. They need a lot of help.

usps tracking is the worst too.
The worst thing that USPS ever did was offer tracking. It's not in real time, the data is usually many hours old. Often, it's not even the actual package.
The package is tossed into a massive APC, the package is scanned into that. The APC goes on to the next facility, the package is removed and not scanned. The APC goes on to the next facility, and it appears that the package is still moving when it's actually an APC moving. This could go on for several stops before the actual package is scanned in at the 1st facility and on it's way out to another.
Then there's Amazon. That's a goat screw all by itself. Overburdens all of the system and given priority.
I have also seen management scan entire APC's of parcels as out for delivery when they curtailed everything. A few hours later, they'll turn all of those into no access scans. They do that to stop the clock on the scans.
I agree overall. But out here where we are, the PO neglects our rural carriers terribly. They need a lot of help.
That's the biggest (not the only) reason I got out. Got sick of being mandated in on my days off. Told I had to carry my route and get back in to be mandated to carry half of another route. Being sent to other offices to carry a route on a Sunday that hasn't been touched for days. I had a 93 hour work week once, followed by a 75 hour week the next week. I literally had to file a grievance to get a damn day off.
They hire new people and they get abused right from the start. Can't tell you how many people I saw quit on their 1st day. Just as many more bail within a week or two.
There is a reason people were going into post offices and shooting them up.
One of my best friends still carries, he was going thru a divorce (mostly because he was never home) and management didn't just push his buttons, they jumped up and down on them. Another carrier saw this and called the number they have set up for these things.
Some people showed up, took Erin off the route and had a sit down with him. They took him out of that office for a few weeks, put him on 40 hour restriction, and suggested to the supervisor that he should steer clear of Erin.

-
Back