Tame my 4-speed Stroker....

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I'm going to send for the "Clutch Tamer".
I seem to see a lot more conversation about this product on other brand Forums when I looked it up. I called to find out how much shipping is and the correct application for my car. I called this morning Monday morning 8 a.m. sharp and weedburner answered near mediately. Was very easy to speak to and courteous and informal. I'll try and get a check in the mail tomorrow $169+14 shipping=183.
In the meantime anyone else trying this??
As always thank you for your time and experience...

And you shouldn't have called him so many bad names back when when you thought your three-finger rag clutch was the end-all...
I'll live with my regrets...

I'd never heard of it until now, sounds like a bad@$$ little device. Eager to read about how it works for you...

I'd never heard of it until now, sounds like a bad@$$ little device. Eager to read about how it works for you...
If you Google clutch tamer it will come up and he has a big write-up on it. Some very interesting reading for sure...

And you shouldn't have called him so many bad names back when when you thought your three-finger rag clutch was the end-all...
I'll live with my regrets...

I like it when it's the only option. Don't care for it when you can buy a real clutch.

Again, I'll say this until I die, slipping a clutch isn't the best option, and that's what that does.

There is a huge difference between having the fingers out and the plate fully against the disc, and what Grant does, which is control the pedal by keeping the throw out bearing on the fingers longer, actually causing more heat and actually slipping the clutch.

There are classes where you are screwed and can't use a good clutch. His is the best option.

Also, if you are cheap and don't want to buy a clutch it's the best option. It's better than killing the tire and beating the car to death.

To induce clutch slip to control tire speed is a nitro way to get down the track. Not a N/A way to do it. I've looked at plenty of clutch data on plenty of cars. Clutch slip isn't the best answer unless you can't get something else.

That's what I was saying. I still say it.

The only way to be consistent and go faster is to switch to auto. lol you 4spd guys would be surprised. lol :D
I hope the tamer works out for you. I know you're a 4spd jammer. old old school.

The only way to be consistent and go faster is to switch to auto. lol you 4spd guys would be surprised. lol :D
I hope the tamer works out for you. I know you're a 4spd jammer. old old school.

It can be done, but you need a clutch to do it. More gears are always quicker. I was at Woodburn the year before NHRA allowed 5 speeds in Pro Stock and Gildden was there testing before Seattle.

He had the 5 speed in it, but didn't use 5th. The car was quicker in every incremental.

And all the posers claimed that a 5 speed wouldn't be quicker.

BTW...who were the LAST jackasses to switch to the 5 speed? And the last to use that power eating Lenco? I know. I had a long, nasty discussion in Seattle about it. And I knew from that point forward, that team at that point was done.

I failed to see where if I left the line off my two step onto a set clutch engagement that I couldn't have much more adjustability at where I want to launch then having to change a torque converter?

At any rate the check will be in the mail tomorrow...
With any luck we can take the bench racer aspect out of this and put some real life experience down to it. It would be nice to be able to get it in and installed and tested before the end of the season. I'm in no rush I can just do it as a winter project but we'll see what stars lineup for me to get a test hit or two. And as always you can expect pictures of when I get it, how I put it in, and what the hell happened...

At any rate the check will be in the mail tomorrow...
With any luck we can take the bench racer aspect out of this and put some real life experience down to it. It would be nice to be able to get it in and installed and tested before the end of the season. I'm in no rush I can just do it as a winter project but we'll see what stars lineup for me to get a test hit or two. And as always you can expect pictures of when I get it, how I put it in, and what the hell happened...

Glad you are doing it. You'll notice a big difference. The car may actually not feel as fast. Smooooooth is fast. Your car should be much smoother.

Here's some before/after of a late model Mustang 'tamer install on youtube. Best before results were setting it off at 3500, 11.59@120 w/ a 1.88 60'...
BEFORE

Here's the after, able to launch at 6800, 11.26@120 w/ 1.509, basically shaved .37 off their 60' with very little time spent dialing it in.
AFTER

Be sure to read the comments below the videos, I expect there's another tenth or so to be found if they look hard enough.

Grant

Here's some before/after of a late model Mustang 'tamer install on youtube. Best before results were setting it off at 3500, 11.59@120 w/ a 1.88 60'...
BEFORE

Here's the after, able to launch at 6800, 11.26@120 w/ 1.509, basically shaved .37 off their 60' with very little time spent dialing it in.
AFTER

Be sure to read the comments below the videos, I expect there's another tenth or so to be found if they look hard enough.

Grant
Right now I have a button behind my clutch pedal that activates the two step. I'm hoping not to have to put a first gear trigger for the two step because the clutch will remain close to the floor.

Or you could put a race 904 in that POS and run even quicker.

-
Back