Tankless water heaters?

-
The more I learn about PEX the more I want to dive in and redo this house!

So if this stuff is so great, saves all the time of soldering, installation and reduces the chance of pipes freezing why the hell do people still use copper and pvc piping in their houses? Just sitting on my couch looking it up on youtube and google I have thought of several things I want to do to the new house that I could accomplish with just about one weekend of crawling around under the house.

I don't have one but have been checking into replacing my 15 year old electric 40 gallon with a gas tankless

What I have found. The smaller one I have been looking at needs Stainless steel flue (EXSPENSIVE) and the larger uses PVC. So I'm thinking the extra cost to get the bigger more costly will be offset by the installation cost.

A guy I work with has his own HVAC company and he has installed a lot and said I needed larger gas line (one reason I'm still just looking and checking into it) have not seen anyone recommend a whole house electric unit.

Since I may be moving in the next year or so might just put another electric 40 in and be done with it.

Im a licensed plumber and have used rinnai in most applications. I like these because the settings are easy to deal with right on the front digitally. Slant 6 Dan is right that they wont kick on unless the minimum 1.5 gallon per minute is achieved. If you do use one i have only seen good results using gas. The biggest thing with these is the flushing. They must be flushed and reset every 6 months or they will shut there selves down. its a coil like a still and cannot transfer heat fast enough if allowed to build up calcium.I would use one in my own home if i couldnt get the wholesalers to give me freebie heaters for my own home when needed. Most faucets and showers are made to work at 1.5 gallons per minute so you can add it up and if youre gonna run less than the max of the heater at one time you will be fine.

I am a licensed plumber also and totally agree, but would also add, they are not for everyone, and it depends on your hot water useage.

-
Back