Tap and die set

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I hardly ever need this but when I do it usually has what I need! This set was going to be thrown away, believe it or not. When asked if I wanted it....um..YEAH!!!

Attachments

• WP_20140831_005.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 312
Anybody restoring or maintaining an old Hot Rod, must have a set of these in their tool box.

I tap and die all my threads when assembling my cars. It may take a little more time, but everything goes together much better, and the bolts don't hang up or get stuck, and the torque is more accurate.

Nice score.

PS. I don't use Craftsman taps anymore. I broke too many of them and had to heli-coil 4 holes for an oil pan once. I pitched them and went to Hanson/Irwin, and rarely break one of those. Crapsman are junk....

one of my most used tools.I drill and tap most anything i build..even .100 and .125 thick
mild steel ...so easy to thread and cast iron even easier.
i often drill and re-thread one size bigger instead of heli coil.
always chase threads to clean....a "must have tool"

Problem is, every company makes good stuff and bad stuff. What you don't want is the carbon steel taps. Usually they are all black and have no evidence of being ground after heat treating. Those will get dull fast and are easy to break. The ones you got look like good ones to me.

I have the Craftsman set I brought in the mid 60's. Never broke anything or had any trouble. Also learned the right way to use them while in aircraft mechanics school. Still have a lot of tool from that time frame. Even have a couple of Power-craft tools. Anyone remember those?
Mike

-
Back