TB problems

-

pikewi

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Howdy- I am taking the front of my 68 Cuda apart and am having a problem with torsion bar removal. Working on the right side. I got the adjuster bolt about halfway out with much difficulty. Lotta PB blaster and liquid wrench and a 3' breaker bar. It's really stuck halfway out and I don't dare reef on it any harder for fear of breaking the bolt. Wheels' brakes etc. are off and front is up on jackstands. Air wrench does nada. My 3 hour job has turned into 3 days. Any suggestions?

Heat the adjuster block with a Mapp torch. You'll have to get it really hot. That works most of the time. Can you run the bolt back in, sometimes that works too.

If it's in that shape you need to replace the adjuster. If you have something to do so, I'd just cut it out of there

I have no torch but will try running it back up. Thank you
Pike

If you can keep soaking it with some sort of penetrating oil and work it back and forth with the impact, you may be able to gain on it and eventually get it out. Otherwise, try heating it like mentioned. Oh and if its that bad of shape, I would get another set of them. Best of luck

I have no torch but will try running it back up. Thank you
Pike

Get a cheap propane torch and heat it up. :twisted:

Run it back in and wire brush the threads to get any rust and debris off of them before backing them out... :violent1:

Lots-o-lube.... (that's what she said... LOL!) :D

If it's in that shape you need to replace the adjuster. If you have something to do so, I'd just cut it out of there

X2

Chances of it being a PIA in the future are just too great even if it does end up coming out.

Thanks for all the feedback. I plan to go with a coil over susp. so won't need the TB. I am just trying to avoid breaking the bolt and getting in a spot I don't have the equipment to deal with.

Thanks for all the feedback. I plan to go with a coil over susp. so won't need the TB. I am just trying to avoid breaking the bolt and getting in a spot I don't have the equipment to deal with.

Just cut the bars then, as they are not worth much anyway.

-
Back