Tci 727 leaked.

-

Byron Gray

Reaction score
I'm looking for a little direction as to what would have caused this.

73 Duster 360. Tci Street fighter 727
I'm just starting to drive the car again after getting the engine back in the car and I had no issue with this transmission before I had to pull the engine. After a few in town drives car was not showing any issues this was the first time taking it on the freeway after about 15 minutes of driving and taking an interchange to another road. I was getting back up to 60mph the engine cut off suddenly no warning if any issue was happening once I got to the shoulder and looked under the car i seen a puddle of transmission fluid and the long trail the car left on the side of the road. I crawled under the car seen and felt the fluid comming out if the belhousing. Tried cranking it over once and noticed it wasn't cranking over as it normally did and struggled to fire and it wouldn't run. I had changed the pan gasket the night before and checked the level before leaving topped it off off full.. I got the trans out of the car now and looking for any ideas on were to start without throwing parts at it and having the same issue when I put it back in.

I would drain the engine oil and look for metal and in the filter, sounds like a pump or converter issue and hope it didn't take out the thrust bearing.

I'm just starting to drive the car again after getting the engine back in the car and I had no issue with this transmission before I had to pull the engine.
seen and felt the fluid comming out if the belhousing.
The input seal probably got torn up pulling/reinstalling the motor- that's your probable leak. Hard to say how much internal damage may have occurred as a result, but front pump comes to mind.

Sounds like it toasted the front pump bushing and brought the engine down to a stall. If that's the case, it probably won't restart, because it can't turn fast enough. So plan on a new converter, front pump and possibly a complete tear down of that transmission depending on how bad it sprayed metal everywhere.

Sounds like it toasted the front pump bushing and brought the engine down to a stall. If that's the case, it probably won't restart, because it can't turn fast enough. So plan on a new converter, front pump and possibly a complete tear down of that transmission depending on how bad it sprayed metal everywhere.
I had that happen a few years ago pulled the rpms way down in my 360 so I cured it with a new trans and big block lol

-
Back