TCI rattler or Powerbond/pioneer damper?

-

340Duster247

Reaction score
I’ve know there are lots of threads on balancers but lots of them are old.So thought I’d ask and see which you guys prefer now that more people are using these balancers.
Internal balanced 408 nitrous stroker seeing track days from time to time

Rattler is a mechanical version of a fluid damper. Much broader harmonics range than an elastomeric damper. Night and day on price point too.

With you're set up I would consider a fluid damper. 65'

If I was American probably but I’m not spending 600$ or more for a damper.
Thanks tho they are nice and heard lots of good about them just out of my budget right now

Ok guys I know your trying to help but I’m just looking for your thoughts between the two. I know of every other brand out there...ATI, Fluid, innovative... but really looking if you had to choose between the pioneer/powerbond or TCI.
Thanks

There are a few different manufacturers of viscous dampers. You may want to search around. Not all of them are that high priced. "Fluid Damper" is one of the higher priced viscous dampers! 65'

Do a REAL good search o the Rattler. Seems I remember they had problems with them coming apart. I could be mistaking it for something else, but I swear it seems like I remember that.

I m building right now a BPE 4.125 stroker 340 engine with Hughes S3 porter closed chamber Edelbrock heads and a Hughes hydraulic roller. I had same questions about a damper.

Rod recommended the fluidampr and I liked it better than ATI because it excepts a stock crank pulley (you need to drill an extra hole on the pulley because stock damper as an offset bolt pattern)

I know someone who had a rattler on a Chevy 400 and when he started and shut it off sounded like a bunch of marbles in a can. I m sure the technology works well, but last thing I want is pull into a parking spot and turn the engine off a good sounding muscle car everyone looks at because it sounds like it’s going to fall apart.

The 340 I just pulled out of the car had a mopar performance balancer on it and it was new when my dad rebuilt the original 273 so I could daily drive my barracuda in high school.

Then it went on the 340. It is probably fine but it was 10 years old at this point.

I did a lot research on balancers because I have a decent amount of money in parts on this engine. And the fluidampr technology (like the TCI Rattler) in principle sounds better for a street/strip car then something with elastomer balancer. ATI probably makes the best balancer on the planet. But they tune them for specific RPM ranges. If I had an 8 second Pro Mod I would get an ATI.

And I ordered my fluidampr from TH Motorsports online for like $380. Being a being a first time buyer they sent me 10% off code and it was free shipping.

Probably not a more boring $400 to spend on this engine, but after having $2500+ on the bottom end why risk a cheap balancer? Going fast costs money. Especially in a Chrysler.

Sorry I wrote a book. But in short I don’t care how good they work I hated that rattler on that guys 400 chevelle. And it was fast car, not like I m hating on it because it was fast Chevy.

-
Back