TCI SIZZLER converter questions

-

Dusterdude72

IN MOPAR MUSCLE MAGAZINE
Reaction score
so I was looking at the TCI SIZZLER 141338 torque converter on summit racings website but I am leaning more towards the 2500 stall range.....does anyone know where a good deal on a new one is? the cheapewst I have found so far is about $300.00 and I am on a budget so if I could get it cheaper than that....that would be great.

its for my 1972 duster and the tranny I will be using is a 1974 904 non lock up tranny...a 27 spline.

The engine I am using is a 1967 318 bored 30 over to a 323, has a mild cam but I am unsure of the exact specs,long tube headers,edelbrock performer dual plane intake,edelbrock 600 four barrel carb, 4.10 rear gearing in my 8 3/4 posi rear end. a couple other little goodies here and there but over all not a radical build....a mild build that will have around 350 HP I would assume.

Thank you in advance!

all mopar converters come with ring gear on them

all mopar converters come with ring gear on them

This is what I thought also but I have seen some guys get regular converters and regular flywheel style ring gears for there mopars and I did not know if for some reason since the converter I was looking at was an aftermarket performance converter that maybe it would be separate.

good to know though and thanks for the info.

any input on the other questions I had?

Kinda hard to guess if it's right since you don't know what cam you have. Have you had your 318 running to get an idea how big the cam is? If it's pretty lump I'd venture to say that's not enough stall. If it idles smooth or a little lumpy you should be ok. A stock converter is about 1400-1500 stall so really the TCI is hardly a step up IMO. Have you looked at PTC converters on Cope's transmission site? Their real affordable and work real good.

No I have not had it running yet so I have no idea how mild "mild" is.....a buddy of mine picked the engine up out of a guys 67 dodge coronet that had 12,000 miles on the build and was a peppy 318 with a "mild" cam but he could not give me exact specs.

I did not bother changing out the cam since it only has 12,000 on it.

but I assume its not a radical cam....probably close to stock or a step above...maybe a 340 style cam?

I would love to go with a higher stall such as a 2500 but the budget is holding me back so I will definitely look into the place you mentioned. Thanks!

I checked them out and they look to be a little pricey (for my budget anyhow) Plus it states that there converters are made to order and not kept on the shelf as a done unit....so to have them make me one I would probably have to know for sure what my specs were....but thank you for the tip!....i had never heard of them until now,looks like they have alot of nice stuff to offer!

Here's the ones I'm talking about.

https://www.coperacingtrans.com/index.php?cPath=22&osCsid=67c28648e00f70e11aa2b4348d5f0b24

The first one is priced at $279 and comes in 3 different stall speeds. Just a thought.

That price seems really good Tracy! Or do you think I shoud go with a smaller converter like the 9.5"? I may order one up for the 318/402 with the 904.......should work good enough with this cam no? using 1.6 ratio Hughes Rockers again. 3.91 gears/suregrip. No trans brake.

Intake Valve Lift 1.5
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5 .569"
.576"
x.gif
Intake Valve Lift 1.6
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.6 .606"
.614"
x.gif
Intake Duration at .050"
Exhaust Duration at .050" 246°
250°
x.gif
Lobe Separation Angle 108
x.gif
Intake Opening at .050"
Exhaust Opening at .050" 18° BTC
56° BBC
x.gif
Intake Closing at .050"
Exhaust Closing at .050" 48° ABC
14° ATC
x.gif
Min. Suggested Cylinder PSI 185
x.gif
Sweet Spot RPM 2800 - 6100

I still have a 2500 stall for sale with very low mileage(500 miles tops).If anyones interested?PM me.

That price seems really good Tracy! Or do you think I shoud go with a smaller converter like the 9.5"? I may order on up for the 318/402 with the 904.......should work good enough with this cam no? using 1.6 ratio Hughes Rockers again. 3.91 gears/suregrip. No trans brake.

Intake Valve Lift 1.5
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.5 .569"
.576"
x.gif
Intake Valve Lift 1.6
Exhaust Valve Lift 1.6 .606"
.614"
x.gif
Intake Duration at .050"
Exhaust Duration at .050" 246°
250°
x.gif
Lobe Separation Angle 108
x.gif
Intake Opening at .050"
Exhaust Opening at .050" 18° BTC
56° BBC
x.gif
Intake Closing at .050"
Exhaust Closing at .050" 48° ABC
14° ATC
x.gif
Min. Suggested Cylinder PSI 185
x.gif
Sweet Spot RPM 2800 - 6100

I'm using that same converter (3000 stall) and it works real good with my 360 and plan on leaving it in there when I get my stroker done (whenever that is, too many honey-doo's lately). Since mine is close to the same build as yours I'd say it'll work good but I'm not really much of a converter expert. I've heard the smaller the converter the more efficient it is but it also runs hotter so you need a larger cooler.

Tracy,

Makes sense using a LARGER cooler with the smaller converter. The converter being smaller would probably want to stall out further in RPM's with regular driving thus creating more heat? Does your converter have good street manners? or does it always want to fully stall on regular driving? Remember I am a 4spd guy so sorry for the questions. First Automatic attempt here.

Tracy,

Makes sense using a LARGER cooler with the smaller converter. The converter being smaller would probably want to stall out further in RPM's with regular driving thus creating more heat? Does your converter have good street manners? or does it always want to fully stall on regular driving? Remember I am a 4spd guy so sorry for the questions. First Automatic attempt here.

I believe that's right on the smaller converters stalling more even under light throttle but since I haven't tried both I can't say for sure. Mine slips just a little down low. Just enough to make it much easier engaging in gear since the idle has to be at 850 in neutral for the cam. As soon as I touch the gas it takes right off like a stock converter. The only time it stalls out to 3k is when I nail it. It's a really good mannered converter on the street.

that TCI sizzler would probably be a waste of money . My stock converter flashes to about 1800 rpm behind a stock 318 with an ld4b, 650 dp and headers added in a 72 duster. Run the stock one until you have some money saved and then get a good one, maybe a 10 inch in the 3000-3500 range. 318s need all the help they can get off the line.

Im new to the hole stall converter thing.....I normally run a stock converter.

But my duster did not come with a converter and I am having trouble finding a stock one PLUS I figure if i am going to spend the money on a new one I may aswell go with a performance set up....I just still don't grasp all the pros and cons on them I guess

Im new to the hole stall converter thing.....I normally run a stock converter.

But my duster did not come with a converter and I am having trouble finding a stock one PLUS I figure if i am going to spend the money on a new one I may as well go with a performance set up....I just still don't grasp all the pros and cons on them I guess

That's understandable. I've been rebuilding torqueflites for nearly 30 yrs. now and still don't have the complete handle on converters. I do agree with forphorty that the TCI won't be much different than stock. For that reason if you can scrape up the extra money somehow it'd be much to your advantage to try and get something with more stall. The one Pettybludart has would be much better and isn't much more money. Just a thought.

One last thing to remember is like forphorty said, 318's aren't big torquey engines so the more stall the better.

Wouldn't hurt to give John a call at Cope, he's an easy fellow to talk with and very informative. I've had great dealings with him.

That's understandable. I've been rebuilding torqueflites for nearly 30 yrs. now and still don't have the complete handle on converters. I do agree with forphorty that the TCI won't be much different than stock. For that reason if you can scrape up the extra money somehow it'd be much to your advantage to try and get something with more stall. The one Pettybludart has would be much better and isn't much more money. Just a thought.

One last thing to remember is like forphorty said, 318's aren't big torquey engines so the more stall the better.

I will most likely end up going with a 2500 stall.

I would consider buying petty's but shipping on it over the boarder would ad to the price a bit and I have not had much luck buying used parts lately LOL.

I think summit racing has some hughes 2500 stall converters for around $300 or so... I may look into those.

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it

I will most likely end up going with a 2500 stall.

I would consider buying petty's but shipping on it over the boarder would ad to the price a bit and I have not had much luck buying used parts lately LOL.

I think summit racing has some hughes 2500 stall converters for around $300 or so... I may look into those.

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it
It would still be cheaper than $300.I would aslo guarranty it or money refunded.It only has 3 passes on it,maybe 500 miles of light cruising.Just trying to help ya out.

It would still be cheaper than $300.I would aslo guarranty it or money refunded.It only has 3 passes on it,maybe 500 miles of light cruising.Just trying to help ya out.

I understand and I appreciate the offer and I will think about it.

Thanks

I decided to go with the sizzler for now....I will change up to a larger converter down the road but for now this will do all I need it for.

thannks for those who chimed in on the deal

-
Back