tci torque converter

-

ir3333

Reaction score
who has some experience with TCI torque converters?
Street fighter,Saturday night special....good/bad?
they are reasonably priced compared to a custom build.
...just for street duty.

I would have one made for my application if it were me. I have not heard anything good about their transmissions at all, the TC, don't know.

Honestly...Have heard nothing but bad about them.

I would keep searching for the best shop in your area,to rebuild yours to your cars specs.

.................I've use them a few times with good luck, but honestly a custom 1 4 ur build would be best...............kim...........

We tried 3 of them the last one didnt make it out of the garage, get one built and do it right.

Old TCI stuff rocks.Started sinking south,about a decade ago. If I am not mistaken,Comp cams own them now.What do you want,out of it? Need cam,compression,gears,tire size and vehicle weight.Let's start there.

I'll give you a response, but i must preface it with the fact that i haven't had any "current" experience with off the shelf converters. Some may have gotten better, some worse?

First off, i'd take the Sat. Night Special off the table. That type of conv. is not much different the a stock one, and i think you'd be disappointed with the results.

My only personal experience with a TCI was working on and a few dozen passes with a friends street/strip 12sec car that had a Super Street Fighter 10". Never had any issues with it, and it was surprisingly consistant at the track. The only minor problem that i didn't like was that it was very soft in the cruising range, 2000/3000 rpm's. This car had 4.56 gears, so i can only imagine with a 3 series gear, it would have been "really" soft.

Most of the shelf converters use average setups for the innards and are not real efficient. They get most of there stall speed from a reduction in diameter.

The only other thing that i can add is, with similar off the shelf ATI & B&M street stuff, behind small blocks your stall speed will be at the bottom of the advertised range.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but i believe a custom build in what your going for is not as expensive as you may think. A couple of extra bill's may be money well spent.

Like you ,Rick,behind the times. Running a 9.5 "tight "converter,fabbed in 02. Goes 3400,bhind a mild 408.20+ mpg,behind a mild 360 .Was a 4 dollar bill ,then.

all good info guys.
I had Frank at Dynamic build me a 9 1/2" for my Duster and love it.
next project probably very short duration cam,smooth idling stock type build.
read economical...

all good info guys.
I had Frank at Dynamic build me a 9 1/2" for my Duster and love it.
next project probably very short duration cam,smooth idling stock type build.
read economical...

Sounds like a chevy build to me Al.

-
Back