"Technician" at Jiffy Lube?

-
the article states this happened on the managers first day on the job...didn't Ramenth mention he was starting a new job?
and so was 1970-dart...so we got two possible suspects right amongst our own

the article states this happened on the managers first day on the job...didn't Ramenth mention he was starting a new job?

You may be on to something.... :poke:

Ouch, least it was jiffy lube driving it it is on their insurance (should be)

I wont' go to Jiffy Lube any more...

My uncle took his Hummer there the day before he was going to drive it out of town on vacation for an oil change. They changed the oil and pulled it out and left it running outside while he paid the bill - their standard practice...

An ex-con less than a month out of jail hopped in it and got in a high speed chase with the police and ended up driving it into the center embankment on the freeway and totalled it...

I took my car in there for a radiator flush and told them not to leave my car running outside when they pull it out because of what happened to my uncle - Shut it OFF....

They left it running... (It wasn't stolen, but they didn't follow my directions....) So I don't go there any more....

With what those places pay it's a wonder they can keep anyone that even knows anything at all. (And most of them don't)
Never have and never will take anything to one of those places.

well, you got to keep in mind they only pay those guys $9.71 an hour...maybe if we paid them 15 bucks an hour they would do a better job?

I was guilty of installing 4, 40" ground hogs on my ford truck at work. I got side tracked and forgot to tighten the lug nuts on all 4 wheels. When I went for a test drive, the rear of the truck started to side step back and forth. At that very instant it hit me, I never tighten the lug nuts! Before I could stop the truck, the right rear wheel came off ( at very low speed) and went down the road a few 100 ft. My point? ALL FOUR WHEELS DID NOT FALL OFF AT THE SAME TIME! I call bull **** on this being a total "accident!" By the way this was 36 years ago.

Had a buddy take his truck into a jiffy lube style place for an oil change. Got the truck back. Made it maybe 100k before it started heating up real bad then seized.

Turns out they didn't put any oil back. The minimum wage kid was probably texting and forgot that part. They had to pay for the dealership to replace the motor.

Same buddy. Took his truck into the dealership for an A/C problem. Guy installed the A/C unit in upside down and backwards (don't ask me how. It's some for front mount deal). It poured refrigerant directly into the engine somehow.

New engine completely wrecked. Dealership had to pay for a different dealership to put a new motor in.

Some people just shouldn't be mechanics.

I took my old push butten val in to have the oil changed . (HAD one free cupon ) I was going to change it myself later lol . But any way . No one at that place even knew how to drive it . Dude (kid) Came out and asked me to pull my car in the bay as no one car figer out how to put it in gear lmao .

Had a buddy take his truck into a jiffy lube style place for an oil change. Got the truck back. Made it maybe 100k before it started heating up real bad then seized.

Turns out they didn't put any oil back. The minimum wage kid was probably texting and forgot that part. They had to pay for the dealership to replace the motor.

Same buddy. Took his truck into the dealership for an A/C problem. Guy installed the A/C unit in upside down and backwards (don't ask me how. It's some for front mount deal). It poured refrigerant directly into the engine somehow.

New engine completely wrecked. Dealership had to pay for a different dealership to put a new motor in.

Some people just shouldn't be mechanics.
I hope your kidding? 100K seized? Refrigerant into the engine?

I hope your kidding? 100K seized? Refrigerant into the engine?

Wish I was. He had a bad run of luck with that thing. No oil I'm not surprised it seized after only 100 kilometres. I'm more surprised it didn't seize sooner! These new engines are pretty tight tolerance.

I think he had the new engine in for a year? Before the AC went. I still have no idea how you mount an AC pump in upside down and backwards. Why would you even make it so it could mount like that? But what he told me was because it was upside and the hoses were hooked up backwards. It blew refrigerant into the engine somehow. Don't ask me. It was a Ford. The 5.4 that was notorious for blowing spark plugs out of the head. The refigerent completely trashed it. He got rid of the truck shortly after the second engine. I don't blame him.

No real story here. Some inexperienced wrench messed up, whatever shop he works at (this time jiffy lube) is going to foot the bill and he will be looking for a new job.

The vehicle owner is a little naive/inexperienced himself 'I never heard of a mechanic test driving a car after a brake job!' C'mon man, every shop does that, it's standard practice.

The first shop I worked at, it was at night, only me and another guy, he was just pretty new fresh out of highschool tech class. He did a simple oil change, front end repair and rotate on a mustang, with instructions to make sure it no longer pulled violently. Minutes after the test drive started, he came back in with someone else (don't know who) and carried a jack, a torque wrench and socket outside. Doesn't matter what shop it is crap happens

Bad day for the manager on his "first day on the job"

Funny thing is it happened on Thursday, the 12th and not Friday the 13th, Dang.

You mean like an actual mechanic shop that doesn't do $19.95 oil changes?

well, you got to keep in mind they only pay those guys $9.71 an hour...maybe if we paid them 15 bucks an hour they would do a better job?

No real story here. Some inexperienced wrench messed up, whatever shop he works at (this time jiffy lube) is going to foot the bill and he will be looking for a new job.

The vehicle owner is a little naive/inexperienced himself 'I never heard of a mechanic test driving a car after a brake job!' C'mon man, every shop does that, it's standard practice.

The first shop I worked at, it was at night, only me and another guy, he was just pretty new fresh out of highschool tech class. He did a simple oil change, front end repair and rotate on a mustang, with instructions to make sure it no longer pulled violently. Minutes after the test drive started, he came back in with someone else (don't know who) and carried a jack, a torque wrench and socket outside. Doesn't matter what shop it is crap happens

I worked as a mechanic at a towing company when I was in college. The boss showed me our official road test route to go after repairing the car. That way if if I was gone too long, they could send a truck to come get me (before the days of cell phones)... Luckily they never had to, all our repairs were good...

Technician is a term that's been thrown around a lot. From a sanitation technician to a personal satisfaction technician.

I worked as a mechanic at a towing company when I was in college. The boss showed me our official road test route to go after repairing the car. That way if if I was gone too long, they could send a truck to come get me (before the days of cell phones)... Luckily they never had to, all our repairs were good...

One time on a test drive I had the driver side door (on a car that had a 'use passenger door only note') fall off when i did a left turn. Pulled into a parking lot, tossed the door in the backseat and cut the drive short.

I work in a dealership here in Bakersfield and I have a couple comments. 1Jiffy Lube employees are not Technicians. Not talking bad about them but when you have to send the vehicle to other shops for actual repairs that are not service or brake related you are not a tech. 2 mistakes can happen to anyon . I have seen very good respected techs make mistakes such as leaving lug nuts loose or oil out of a car. To error is human. I left a wheel loose 1 time myself. It was Oct 10 1996. My son was born the day before and my mind was elsewhere. It came loose pulling up to the drive and we were able to get a jack under it before it completely came off. It damaged the wheel and studs.
There are things that I do when I work on a car to help me not forget. One I always do things in the same order. I take the right rear tire loose and go around till I am at the left rear. I reinstall in the opposite routine. I was taught by a master tech years ago do things in a routine to prevent these mistakes.

BWAHAHAHAHA!

I don't f-up much, but when I do, it's a woozy.

Seriously, I had interviewed at Monro Muffler back in, I don't '06, '07. Sitting in the waiting room, talking with the DM about the job, there was a silver Liberty on a lift. Didn't pay much attention to what was going on.

When I left and heading home, I passed a silver Liberty sitting in the center turn lane, cop behind it and rollback in front, both front wheels missing.

An hour after I got home, the DM called wanting to change my position and offer me the job: shop foreman and assistant manager to make sure mistakes like that didn't happen again.

-
Back