Teenagers / Classic Cars ??

-
My Barracuda was my first car, and I cherished the automobile since I had a great deal of time and love in it. I kept it clean, knew the limitations of both the brakes and suspension which kept me further back in traffic and not willing to take the risk of pulling out or tailgating those in front of me. It was also unique enough that everyone in our town knew it was my car, and that fear kept me from doing or trying anything that I could have gotten away with with a common car. I kept that car, and yes, have had some real good times with the family. My daughters have enjoyed cruising in it and my oldest daughter has helped me work on it. Honestly, if my parents had bought me some just common used car, it could have been a whole lot different

Im 16 my parents bought me a 73 duster which I have to work on or I dont drive it. I am extremely careful I do not have power brakes so I learned about that quickly. I also have the same problem you had I am one of 3 or 4 dusters in the area and the only primer gray one with 12 inch tires in the back. Ive had some lessons in how noticeable it is too. But on the other side Im still a stupid teenager so I will do an occasional burnout (never in traffic) and still rev my engine for people that yell about my car :D. I don't speed much only about 5 over and definitely don't tailgate or text and drive. i tried that a few times its scary in an old car. In a new car there is a false Confidence too, Which could be just me going from and old car to a new truck but its there for sure.

No air, No power brakes, No power windows, No power locks, speedo doesnt work yet, Hopped of 318, Ive ad some scary experiences (not my fault) and I still love it and wouldnt trade it for any new car

a peek up truck with bucket seats. Dakota. Birth control built in with truck and wont be hauling around 100 friends. Limits peer pressure and also

Remember what you did in highschool. The teens will be doing the same thing. The back seat of your car was used for .... umm hauling hmm ... homework... lots and lots of homework.

hate to break it to yha but my pick up was my mobile um hot spot:laughing:

I think teenagers need to be started in old cars. back when i was in school my first vehicle was a 70 ford with a 302. plenty of power, BUT, no power steering. all my friends got camaros, mustangs, and other newer sports cars and hot rodded them and most wrecked within two weeks of getting their licence for showing off for their friends.
with the older ford, no power steering, no power brakes, its hard to hot rod something that takes ur concentration to control to begin with. when it rained the drum brakes would lock sometimes forcing me to have to be able to control a skidding truck.

now i did learn how to control this truck and make it do anything i wanted, but i also had to learn the road and perfect that truck before i could. otherwise u send a teenager out in a vehicle that is very easy to drive, got their friends with them, not paying attention and have a wreck.

im not saying give a teen a peice of junk thats unsafe, just one of the old ones that are not as easy to drive as the new cars to learn on.

as a parent and an old car enthusiast,i'm pretty sure Id like my son's first car to be something he worked on to fix up so maybe he will appreciate the time and effort it takes to build and maintain a car and will probably be a Lil' more careful since his time and money will be in it,he has a 72 duster at this time it has a 340/727/8 3/4 with 3;55's but Looks like a slanty with auto and a 2;76 will be goin in there,I have an engine ready to bolt in with headers and super six setup so thats the plan.....when he shows maturity about driving ,which he does at this time but thats prolly cause I'm lookin on then we can see about a beater car and he can put the goodies back in,i'm thinkin i'll make motor mounts so the slanty just bolts in without changin the k frame...we'll see how it goes

I'm 21, And I got my first car, a 72 dart, when I was only 17, fixed it, drove it, no accidents, no tickets, for three years. My best friend (who inspired me to get the dart) also got a built 350 chevelle when he was only 16, and drove it for even longer.

I will admit, older cars like these are for car enthusiasts more than the general public. If your daughter isn't into cars, doesn't like working on them, or is just interested in having an older car because it's cool, she probably shouldn't have one. But if she knows how they work, works on 'em, there's no reason she shouldn't drive one.

Funny story: I took my driver's test for my unrestricted license in my dart. When the instructor sat in the car, she couldn't figure out how to hook up the seatbelts. (It had the lap belt with the detachable shoulder belt.) Once she got that sorted out, We talked about the car a bit, and she noticed it didn't have a passenger mirror, then I told her it didn't have power brakes, power steering, or a rear defroster either. The look on her face was priceless. (I passed anyways.)

My son wanted a classic when he turned 16 also. I made sure he could drive a current automobile before the classic. He never got behind the wheel of the classic til 17 years old. The difference between the cars was night and day (of course). Now that he is comfortable with the classic - he takes it to cruises or on special occasions. He is almost careful to a fault with the classic. His everyday car is a Nissan Sentra -- he drives the 68 /6 Barracuda Convertible for show.

My suggestion is 76-80 Dodge Aspen - Plymouth Volare. Can be had at a good price with many available with /6 or a 318 as well as some comforts like A/C. An Aspen R/T will definately set her apart from her friends. Parts should not be that hard to find. With turn signals on the front fenders, she will have a guide to the front of the car. Spoiler on the back makes it easy to find the back end. Customize to her taste.

My oldest stepson want a little saturn sports coupe , they had a great safety and reliability record so we co-signed the note for his car -he picked it ,he made the payments and he had to maintain it , first night he has it he walks out after work at circuit city hops in the car and drives right into a concrete light base in the parking lot while adjusting his radio , poor kid was scared I was going to tan his hide but I just laughed at him hey it's your car I'm not paying for it what do I care I told him . Plastic all over the parking lot he wished I had made him get a big old 4 door tank like a coronet lol

Executive summary: Determine what the driver's capability is before determining what car to get.

Congratulations to you and your daughter for having the foresight to visit this issue before it is more imperative. Before considering what to give her, consider if you will give her a car.
  1. Responsibility: e.g. Is she currently taking care of a pet or is she reliable with the jobs she takes on inside and outside of the house? On any given day, what does her room look like? Invariably that will be what the inside of her car looks like, too.
  2. Attention to detail: Does she know what gauges are? What would she do if one is outside of normal range? When does a tire look like it does not have enough air? What fluids that leak from the car look like? Can she distinguish them from condensation off the A/C. What does an automatic transmission or power steering pump sound like when there is not enough fluid? Would she notice strange objects sticking out of a tire?
  3. Operational knowledge: This goes beyond driving techniques. Does she know how to check the air in a tire or how to change a tire? Does she know how to measure fluids and how to replenish when they are low? Can she read a road map to determine where she is and which way to go home or to her intended destination.
These days GPS Nav systems are so cheap, I'd recommend she have access to one, especially if driving alone at night. Program "HOME" into it. Recommend the kind that gives verbal directions like, "Turn left onto Adams Street in 500 feet." Rather than one that simply says, "Turn right in 500 feet."

Many states now have a "Home School" type driver training program. I've found it better than the public schools or the private driver training progams. Who knows best what your child is capable of doing or how to help her understand? It was a great bonding experience for me and my daughter. Plus, she had a lot more behind the wheel time than she would have gotten with either of the other programs. Results: Ten years later; no accidents, no moving violations.

My first car was a 69 Mustang......

The 2 trees I hit survived, the car didn't. After that nasty crash I started paying more attention.

I still think something safe and disposable is best until the brain catches up with the right foot.

In 2009 i bought my 74 dart swinger and i baby it. It honestly from what ive seen with cars and every teen around me it depends on who the kid is. If the teen takes it for granite and doesnt respect the car then its not going to be taking care of. Teaching us teens to respect cars and safety responsibility on the road helps a helluva lot. Just gotta teach us the ropes and what to do and what not to do. I know kids in my school that have gone through 5 cars within 3 years. Its a disgrace i saw one kid go from a iroc-z (totaled it) toyota coralla (totaled it) to a ford explorer (wrecked). Then theres few kids that take care of our cars. I baby my dart. My friend babies his tahoe.

Make her build it. That's my vote. I drove my duster in high school, originally with a 318, then finally got the 408 built and in for my senior year. It was a blast, but I respected it, given the amount of work I had in it.

I would have to say buy a newer car or truck with the modern safety features. I have 25 year old and 17 year old both boys, but neither really into cars that much, the oldest got a new honda civic and the youngest got a 98 chevy S10 they are two different kids and acted totaly different so ended up with different rides, that being said neither ever comes up short on anything. We decided to go with small engines 4cyl stick shift cars so the kids wouldn't be tempted to try all the hot rod stuff with them, howerver we let them both add stereos and rims and such to make the cars their own, I think I like the idea of the small truck the best with a hard topper on the back (carries his baseball stuff with him all the time) that way he can only put one more kid in there with him, less chance of distractions. Also we live in the city so my kids have a 5 mile little area that they were allowed to drive in ( we live on a little outcrop in Tampa Bay) that way we have some controll over where they were, speed limits are 45mph so less chance of serious injurys.

All that being said I think mostly it depends on your child and where you live, all situations are different and every child I know is different and has different needs, some need responsibilty others need patience while others need protecting, only you know your child so use your gut talk to your wife and your child and I'm sure you will be able to come up with right choice for you.

P.S. my youngest Does now get to drive the wifes Lexus on special dates and such and next year his senior year I will let him dirve the Hemi Cuda on occasion to school, he has earned the right by showing us he can be responsible while driving just was not the case when he was first wanting to get a car hence the 98 S10 and not a new car.

my two cents, being an uncle to I've lost count :)

Life is short and if all we think about is safety, our kids will grow up scared and not enjoy the wonders of the world. Sure new cars have air bags etc. but they are also made of thinner flimsier material and lack any individuality, and personal interest. A kid wants an old car - cool will they work on it, expand their mind, develop common sense and some aptitudes, staying away from the TV and computer. WOW -

I'm pretty sure everyone on here survived their childhood. I had a honda hit my 69 charger back in 1987 - low impact rear end hit. broke my exhaust hangers and i drove 200 plus more miles home - she pushed the honda onto the shoulder for the tow truck as it was totalled. yes we have cell phones now - thats a parenting issue - catch them using it - take away the car or the phone BE A PARENT - lets smarten our kids up - did we have to answer a phone when we were kids - NO. we own the phone it doesnt own us.

the death rate on these new cars that are shorter than 100 inch wheelbase is 50% higher than anything longer. so how valuable is your kid vs gas mileage.

I agree on the Duster or dart or a truck - you cant beat a truck (although I prefer 70's fords or 80s GMCs)
My girlfriends daughter loves my old cars - went to a car show and fell in love with 64/65 barracudas. found one and we are building it. her walls are old plymouth ads and she is learning all about the equipment she uses (including the car) - is she way smarter now than her BFs that drive a new car - yes - proud of her? - HECK yes.

Go for it - LIVE

i think it all depends on the teenager and how responsible they are. when i was 16 i had a big block 4 speed posi rear trans am. i thought i was burt reynolds. the car was somewhat dangerous in my hands. i got a few tickets with it and did a few dumb things that i would never do now. i was the responsible teenager in our house though. my brother took my parents geo metro and used it like a car in the thrill show doing jumps and ultimately tearing out the suspension and spinning a bearingin the motor. i think girls are a little more careful with their cars when they are teenagers from what i have witnessed. i had to work to pay for my car and i still drove like a meat head. everyone is different though. when my girls are old enough to drive, i see myself making sure they have dual and side curtain airbags,anti lock brakes,5 star crash rating, no cell phone or texting device, 1 cd in the vehicle at a time,so they choose another one while driving,and a very slow detuned 4 cylinder all wrapped in the uncoolest car you could ever imagine with reflective tape all around.oh yes, it will only have 1 seat for the driver also! i will give them the choice of whatever color helmets they want because im not all bad.

Oh read some more comments - I totally love the 4 door idea. I also have 2 1969 belvederes which the girl loves but cant drive since they are both 'antique' insurance. but she would take in a second.

Point two: WHATEVER you buy put in modern 3 point seat belts - the barracuda will get them - no discussion on originality - dont care, more of them out there, cars are to be used.

Point Three: set the rules and enforce them - zero tolerance - in other words NO CELL phone - PERIOD

disc brakes - im braking this rule for first few months as the car drained me - but it wil have discs - for one simple reason - stops straight

Well good luck!!

agree with all of the above....i'm 20 years old and have 4 mopars and i tell ya....when you're first driving (guy or girl) it's all about having the windows down, the radio blasting, dancing, talking on the phone etc basically everything except truly concentrating on driving! i was there just a few years ago so i'll honestly say, a S6 A-body with power steering, power brakes, a/c, upgrades seat belts and $300 in a full brake job and car tune up would be the best ride she could have! teens love attention and with that'd car, she'd get it! plus the radio wouldn't be loud enough to be overly distracting like the new 300+ watt systems! just my opinion but wish i got the duster before i got my r/t dakota clone because then i wouldn't have such "greed for speed"

What is a safe car for my kid that anybody can even work on that's not all computerized these days? I have decided that even w/shoulder belts, I am not ready to have my daughter drive the cuda.

My daughter wanted a Panther Pink '70 hemi Cuda vert with a four speed. We live on a gravel road in the north where it snows a lot...she got a Cherokee. Used to be considered that girls were more careful drivers, I doubt that's true any more. Her safety could be more dependent upon car color. Avoid red. JMO

My first car is pictured below. Only 17 and been licensed for a year as of January. Been driving her for a total of two though, permit and such.

I think regardless of an old classic car or a newer modern car with fuel injection, working hard and spending time whether is customizing or giving it preventative maintenance will help any young teenager appreciate things more. When you realize how much work and money goes into things you are more careful. A lot more than mommy and daddy handing a new benz over to their children like I see all too often over here. Putting in the hard work and taking the time to realize and appreciate things can be applied to pretty much anything. The only thing is if your really concerned about safety go with a newer car with airbags and what not.

My first car i was 15 years old. It was a 69' Nova 4 speed that i did fine with. My son is 17 and will start driving soon, i know he will have some issues with bouncing off of curbs, brushing against drive-thru poles, etc. His first car will be something like what 1968formulas340 posted. Then when he is comfortable, we'll find him a nice Mopar to work on. Just my .02

my first car was an 86 dodge lancer turbo and of course i hopped it up would burn the tires going into 2nd gear but i bought it for 150 bucks fixed it and drove it for 3 years untill i bought my wrangler but a jeep cherokee would be almost perfect not horrable mpg and there built like tanks with all the modern airbags belts ext

i just started driving a little over a month ago, me and my older brother built up a 1973 jaguar xj12 with a stock rebuild 454 and performer intake and headders when i was 12 he was 16, now im 16. it goes alright for being 4800lbs and deff turns heads, not a gas saver but its fun. im sure its size would make it safer, and we have some expired harnesses in it too.

Me personally,how about something like a Aspen,or a Volare?They have power steering,power breaks,seat belts,AC,and if fixed right,they have that Muscle Car look

0703_mopp_02_z+1976_plymouth_volare+front_view.jpg
Picture_001.jpg

-
Back