Teflon Tape Usage

-

SpeedThrills

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm installing the line lock on my Duster project.

Is teflon tape necessary on the pipe threads involved? Or is it even okay? I.E. Will brake fluid attack it?

White teflon tape is used for threads with air or water.

Yellow teflon tape with heating gas.

None for brake lines, ever.

I'm installing the line lock on my Duster project.

Is teflon tape necessary on the pipe threads involved? Or is it even okay? I.E. Will brake fluid attack it?
brake fluid will eat it in about 3 seconds flat. that's why brake lines use flare fittings and copper crush washers to seal up.

Okay, no teflon. So do the pipe threads on the solenoid and the adjustable proportioning valve need a sealant?

I installed line locks on a few cars years ago, but I got CRS now.
:(

Okay, no teflon. So do the pipe threads on the solenoid and the adjustable proportioning valve need a sealant?

I installed line locks on a few cars years ago, but I got CRS now.
:(
No

Usually one fitting or the other is brass. A tiny wipe of anti-sieze would be all i use.
Like all the years i found t-tape on the quadra-jet inlet fittings? I swear the same guy had his hands on all those different carbs. And most of them leaked.

I like pipe joint compound, aka pipe dope for pipe threads. NPT - National Pipe Thread, or as some old timers said, National Pipe, tapered. That would be the smart guys that realized pipe thread from Brittan and elsewhere was not tapered. Teflon dissolves in the presence of diesel, #2 fuel oil and the like. Teflon is annoying the second time you put it together - the bits left in the female side get pushed into things it shouldn't. Found Teflon bits, tiny, holding up the unloader valve on my air compressor - from the previous owner.

Flares seal on the flare itself, not the threads. Same with compression fittings - seal on the ferrule, not the threads. Never apply dope or tape to flare or compression fittings. I've never seen NPT threads on any brake system. If the threads do not match the NPT standard, you have something else.

I like pipe joint compound, aka pipe dope for pipe threads. NPT - National Pipe Thread, or as some old timers said, National Pipe, tapered. That would be the smart guys that realized pipe thread from Brittan and elsewhere was not tapered. Teflon dissolves in the presence of diesel, #2 fuel oil and the like. Teflon is annoying the second time you put it together - the bits left in the female side get pushed into things it shouldn't. Found Teflon bits, tiny, holding up the unloader valve on my air compressor - from the previous owner.

Flares seal on the flare itself, not the threads. Same with compression fittings - seal on the ferrule, not the threads. Never apply dope or tape to flare or compression fittings. I've never seen NPT threads on any brake system. If the threads do not match the NPT standard, you have something else.
Not typically, but my old fargo brake light switch is 1/8” npt. i have come across npt on brake lines,other places just cant recall where else.

I'm pretty sure my old LineLocs were pipe and you used an adapter to inverted flare. ANY NPT could need sealer, because of the difference in thread QC.

I'm not going to use any sealer at first. I'll use pipe dope sparingly, if needed. (Only on the pipe threads, I knew that part.)
:thankyou:

Loktite seals threads, also prevents Galling. Medium strength of course. I have used it on air fittings. Never tried it on brake fittings though.

Pipe threads, yes. Flare or inverted flare threads, no. The threads do no sealing on flare fittings so it does no good to use sealant "there".

-
Back