Tell me about 30 inch tires for dart?

-

savoy

Reaction score
In the planning stages for my Hemi Dart Clone...and want the "look" that comes from 30 inch tires in the rear..like the actual drag cars of the time wore. So I am asking for advice on what tire/wheel combination will give me that big tire look. The axle will be a Dana 60 from a B body but could be any width at this point if that influences tire size, wheel back space ect. The car will have a 2 inch mini tub done to the stock wheel wells...I have 10x15 Firestone piecrusts on the rear of my Savoy and do like that look, but am willing to entertain any wheel and tire combination. Pictures with details would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

I've never tried this cuz the Dart housings are almost maxed out at 28 inches.My guess is you will be installing SS springs. If you stretch the wheelbase, and trim the front of those wells, and radius the tops, I suppose you could put 30s under there. More skills than I got.

Well, the real Hemi Darts had the fenders cut away for clearance, so that won't be an issue if you use the rear fender template that's posted on this board someplace. Are you sure they used 30" tires though? Isn't a typical 10x15 slick around 28"?

If you cut them more than the SS templates and open the forward edge to match the inner fender you can get 31's to fit. You will need to move the rear axle back about 1.5" to keep tire
away from the front of the new opening.
Most of the SS cars got this treatment during the early 70s when they moved up from the 29" tires for the Prostock or Modified Productions 31s.
This picture shows how far the quarter panel can be opened up without moving the factory inner wheel wells forward.
By moving the inner wells flat against the frame rails you will have a little over 15" of width to the quarter panel. With the front of your opening maxed out you can cut the back to work with
the 30" tire. You may not need to go back with the axle as far as I did.
I bolted a 29- 15.5 sportsman tire on that has a true size of 28"x 13"w to give you something
as a visual. This car was cut to hold 31" slicks and dwarfs the 28" street tire.
Lotsa room without having to go the back half route. The car will sit high with the tall tires
and arched springs. I didn't bother with the templates on this car since the tires were so tall.
Just made it work kind of deal. Didn't have any 31s mounted for a better picture.

Attachments

• IMG_20160106_212940_546.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 484
I thank you for the responses. I am going to measure my Firestone Dragster pie crust tires on the savoy and see what I come up with before I start chopping. I have the templates from ebay. I also have a couple of real LO23 cars locally that the owner doesn't mind if I take some tracings. I was going to use a Caltrac system as it came brand new in the box with the car, but guess am willing to use the SS stock springs to achieve the look I want. Not sure how the mono leaf Caltrac system looks on a modified fender wheel dart. Anyone running that combination? It is a lot easier to talk about this now rather than after the body modification starts. Thanks again for your wisdom.

I have 30 12 r 15 with mini tub and you have to trim the front of the wheel well. Probably not the look your after though.

Attachments

• 20151225_172228.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 472
  • 20151108_130727.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 493
I was going to say space your springs back a bit for clearance on the front. I ended up modifying the openings on my Duster just to clear the 29.5-10.5-15s slicks.

Thanks. What suspension set up are you using? I also should clarify that I like the look with part of the slick outside the wheel well so that gives me even more room. I do not want this car to look like a pro street car, but instead like a purpose driven drag car that can be used on the street. Appreciate the photos, keep them coming! Thanks.

I'm using caltrac's with their springs , relocation kit and a mini tub. It looks stock to someone who doesn't know any better, not pro street.

Attachments

• 20151018_154353.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 407
I had 275/60-15s (28"+ tall) on My 68 Dart 500 incher. - With a A-Body 8-3/4" rear, SS springs, I used offset spring hangers and had the back spacing modified on a set of Mopar steel wheels. --- Looked pretty good.

Attachments

• File2.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 413
Still not seeing the look I want...What I am trying to achieve is the tall tire look with some of the tire outside the modified wheel openings. Sorry, but hard to explain. I have seen some hemi dart clones that have that stance, but not sure how it was accomplished. I will run a stock width B body dana under the car as the original hemi 4 speed cars did. Thanks for the replies. Much appreciated.

--Still not seeing the look I want...What I am trying to achieve is the tall tire look with some of the tire outside the modified wheel openings. Sorry, but hard to explain. I have seen some hemi dart clones that have that stance, but not sure how it was accomplished.--
-- How about this - It was a Bias ply tire - size I don't remember. - It was a Hemi Car.

Attachments

• File4.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 408
And yes I agree the photos posted are of some great looking cars! Thank you for sharing them.

Getting closer! Now if it was a 68 dart with the super stock fender modification and a 29-30 inch tire it might be what I am babbling about...Thanks.

I don't have an answer for exactly what your question is, but I will say that the "Pie Crust" cheater slick was pretty much gone from use as a drag tire by the time the Super Stock Darts were built and raced. I've never cared for seeing cars built after 1967 with those tires on them. You should run a regular wrinkle wall drag slick, something in a 29.5"x10.5". That would look more correct. Just my honest opinion, for what that's worth. Good luck with your build!

Spacecowboy, I'm droollin' over you 67's photo's. Man that thing is nice.I want one just like it when I grow up.....

-
Back