Tell me how you adjust rear drums

-

MOPARoldtimer

Banned
Reaction score
I have 10" drums on the rear of my '62 Valiant. I am fighting a low pedal, and am not sure what is causing it.

I would like to get the rear shoes adjusted up as tight as possible, but how can I tell when they are adjusted too tight? How do you avoid taking the adjustment up too tight so you have trouble getting the drum off to back of the adjuster? And how do you avoid getting them too tight so the brakes get hot when you drive? Please tell me your favorite tips on doing this. Thanks a lot.

You want to be able to get the drum on semi easy, as when they get hot from use, the shoes will expand. You may need to try it several times to get the "feel" just right.

Adjust a little and step on the brake.
Reapeat process till you can just hear the shoes when you roll the drum.
Stepping on the brake re centers the shoes after each adjustment and sometimes allows more adjustment.

link to the '66 plymouth service manual on this page:
http://www.mymopar.com/index.php?pid=109

the brakes should be close to what you have. i'm pretty sure the adjusters self adjust when you are backing up and hit the brakes. unless they are rusted up.

when you are putting the brake drum on it should be close to the shoes (not much slop maybe 1/8 inch) when putting it back together. if the drum is really worn you will need to replace it, as the shoes wont be able to reach the drum when you apply the brakes.

while you have it apart you can make sure the brake adjuster is not siezed up.

if they are NOT the self adjusting type, like on an old VW beetle i had, you have to remove a little dust cover on the backing plate near the bottom, and adjust them with flat edged a tool manually, on a fairly frequent basis. that is a pita lol.

the '66 shown in the manual above are self adjusting (they have a small cable inside that attaches to the adjuster). some times that small cable rusts away

After install and getting it close, I think you backup the car up and pump the brakes while rolling. This is if all the self adjusting stuff is working.

After install and getting it close, I think you backup the car up and pump the brakes while rolling. This is if all the self adjusting stuff is working.

yup should be self adjusting is its isn't working the kit is only like 12 bucks for all the pieces

I have 10" drums on the rear of my '62 Valiant. I am fighting a low pedal, and am not sure what is causing it.

Could be as simple as readjust the brake shoes.
First be sure there is enough material remaining. You haven't mentioned the fronts - shall we assume these are disks? No adjustment on pads but when they wear, the pistons self adjust and the brake fluid in the reseviour(s) will drop.
I would like to get the rear shoes adjusted up as tight as possible, but how can I tell when they are adjusted too tight? How do you avoid taking the adjustment up too tight so you have trouble getting the drum off to back of the adjuster? And how do you avoid getting them too tight so the brakes get hot when you drive?

First figure out which way the adjuster wheel turns (easiest to se is take off the brake drum on one side and take notes or drawings). Between '68 and '69 Chrysler changed the self adjustment system and with it the adjuster direction. The '69 and up self adjusters are designed so they do not overtighten.

I always adjust the brakes manually and never rely on the self adjusters.
With the wheel off the ground and a brake adjusting 'spoon' and/or standard screwdriver, stuck through the slots in the backing plate, turn adjuster star wheel. Then spin the wheel. As soon as the brake shoes start to drag on the wheel, that's it. Often it is easier to feel you've gone too far. Then back off on the adjuster. Sometimes the self adjuster's lever makes this difficult. If so, slide the screwdriver so it pushes the lever off of the star wheel, then back it off 1/4 turn or whatever until the wheel turns relatively freely.

Do the same on all the drums. Use jackstands while under the car.

-
Back