Tell Me What You Think This Noise Is

-

1969VADart

Reaction score
When I turn on the heat or AC (allowing the fan or blower to turn) I get a strange sound. I tried to get a short video of the sound. Tell me what you think this sound might be. It is hard to pinpoint where exactly it is coming from.

[ame]http://youtu.be/_Xw0n6H90mw[/ame]

The short answer is "it has to be the blower."

These things can make all sorts of weird noises, from noisy motor bushings, blower dragging on the housing, leaves and other debri which gets into the thing. Solution is to tear into it and see what's up

Pull the blower motor from the engine compartment side and see if there's any leaves or junk in the plenum. You can also run the blower motor when it's outside the housing to see if the impeller wobbles, the motor is making noise, etc. Will also help to isolate the sound from inside the car with the motor out of the housing. Also check the vacuum hoses running to the vacuum motors and see if you have a leak at the motors or in the vacuum switch. Might help to hook a vacuum gauge to the motor while its running and when you operate the a/c to see if there's a big drop in vacuum, like there is a leak somewhere. Does the noise vary with the speed of the blower fan or is it constant? If it varies it's the motor, if is doesn't it may be vacuum related.

Also it would help to video it and at the start turn the a/c completely off, then turn it on, then run thru the fan speeds, and try working all the buttons to see if the sound changes or goes away. Record all that and re-post it if you haven't figured it out.

Thanks for the input. I will be pulling a lot of this stuff apart soon as I attempt to redo the interior of my car. In the meantime, I will check the noise by changing the fan speed and also check for vacuum leaks. Thanks again.

On a 69 Dart you can't remove the blower motor from under the hood. You have to remove the heater box from under the dash and then you can remove it from the heater box.

Excellent information to know. Thanks.

Most all A-body Mopars are the same way. Only the "butt" of the blower motor is seem from under the hood. But the heater box has to be remove before you can unbolt the blower from the case.

Before you remove it look into the J bolt location that holds the box to the passenger side vent inlet or you will break your housing.
If you look/feel inside the vent door you will find it.

Red line points to it.

Attachments

• J-bolt.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 114
-
Back