temp and fuel gauges

-

karlkafer08

Reaction score
Hey everyone. My 76 Valiant left me stranded last night at the race track !! After many attempts to start and a can of ether I got her going and back home. I can handle the crappy carb..easy fix. However now my Temp and Fuel gauge are not working right !! They peg all the way to the max when I turn the car on now. They did not do that before, so I know the 50 key on-key off attempts at starting the car has done something to them. I am no good with electrics....please help what should I do ? I really need a temp gauge at least........

You probably have a faulty voltage limiter. It's mounted on the back of the instrument panel, on the circuit board. It's a small rectangular component with three connections.

You probably have a faulty voltage limiter. It's mounted on the back of the instrument panel, on the circuit board. It's a small rectangular component with three connections.

Yup, That limiter has mechanical points in it. If they should stick closed , full system voltage will be supplied to the gauges. They will eventually die.

Oh cool !! Thanks....I will have to pull the bezel out and check that...Thanks for the tip guys ! If the gauges die what can I do to fix them ? Can I still get them ?

I would pull the limiter now so as to not damage the gauges if they are not fried already. Some of these limiters can be removed without removing the instrument panel. Take a look to see if you can remove it.

Forgot to say that you will probably have to take out the screws that hold the instrument panel in place so you can move the panel out a little. There is a dash brace that may be in the way of the limiter.

Is there a way of testing limiters to see if they are good or not.
Thanks

With a decade resistance stack, What resistance values ? I dont know. and a variable input of 12 to 14 volts.
A digital volt meter will just flash crazy. An analog meter will show a more constant output voltage.

thanks I just pulled the limiter out....I am gonna check to see if I can get a new one. ....Ill let you all know...

I was thinking.(Yes,I think alot,lol)Could you test these voltage limiters by checking how much voltage its actually letting through to the gauges?Like hook a multimeter to the end that goes to the gauges and see if its getting 5 volts and not more?Just a thought:read2:

I once hooked some of these to an oscilloscope to compute the percentage of on versus off cycle times with varying input voltages. The cycle times changed so much the output varied constantly. Connect an "icepick" test light to the output. If it's flashing, it's working and thats all you're gonna get.

-
Back