Temporarily Bypassing Rear Brakes.

-

64drtGt

Slant Six Lunatic
Reaction score
I need to temporarily bypass the rear brakes which way will work? Leave the line unhook with no fluid in the master ( i'm almost positive this wont work but want to make sure) or plug the rear line?

Taking my truck to a burnout contest but I need to be able to drive it there and back. My 4.10 posi rear end has blown wheel cylinders and it is the rear end that takes the special tool to get the drums off so I can't even pull the drums/axles and put the chunk into my rear end with brakes.

Vice grip on the rear brake hose. Use to do it all the time at burnout contests.

That would work if the rear end I have didn't leak brake fluid faster than I can pour it in if I hit the brakes. I need to just find a way to get the drums off so I can swap the chunk into my good brake rear end then the vice grip thing would work ok.

That would work if the rear end I have didn't leak brake fluid faster than I can pour it in if I hit the brakes. I need to just find a way to get the drums off so I can swap the chunk into my good brake rear end then the vice grip thing would work ok.

vise grip the flex line if the line at the master won't turn.

if you have a dual line master cylinder take the front line off (front runs rear) and put a small headed nail in and bolt it back tight enough so it won't leak

I've done this before to get cars home I've bought; of course I fix properly later

vise grip the flex line if the line at the master won't turn.

if you have a dual line master cylinder take the front line off (front runs rear) and put a small headed nail in and bolt it back tight enough so it won't leak

I've done this before to get cars home I've bought; of course I fix properly later

That will work thanks!

so your going to drive it down the road with no rear brakes on purpose?

:wack:

:banghead:

I think I am a little lost here...

Ok I have a 489 housing in my truck its a 3.23 open gear. I also have a 741 housing that has the old style axles and brakes that take the special puller to remove and its wheel cylinders are blown out. It is a 4.10 posi I want the 4.10 posi for the contest.

I dearly hope to Gauwud you don't plan to drive this on pubic streets for more than about a block that way.

Go down to the parts store. Get what is called a 3/16 inverted flare union and a 3/16 inverted flare male plug. Alternatively, get a 3/16 inverted flare "half union" which is inverted flare on one end and pipe thread on the other. Then get a pip plug to fit the pipe end. Any good parts store with a "brass cabinet" will have them

070640.jpg

41iTwAzJJhL._SY300_.jpg

Why don't you "do it right?" Find out if the old third member can fit your newer housing?

Been awhile but only issues I know of are axle spline count and I think some of the older ones had a "center button" that was different but don't quote me, there

http://1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/techstuff.html

http://members.tripod.com/~Mojo_Page/chry875.htm

I am going to cut the drums off the 741 case and pull the center section and just swap them. Ill use the cut 741 housing and narrow it for my dart. Win win.

Ok I have a 489 housing in my truck its a 3.23 open gear. I also have a 741 housing that has the old style axles and brakes that take the special puller to remove and its wheel cylinders are blown out. It is a 4.10 posi I want the 4.10 posi for the contest.
Ok, makes way more sense. Never heard of needing special pullers before. I'll be sure to remember that.

-
Back