Test a Rallye dash?

-

Lomax

Reaction score
Found a 71 duster that I can get, no motor or trans, interior is complete and some of it restored. It has a Rallye dash which is a Big deal in overall package to me but I dont know if it works and neither does he. Is there a way to test out the gauges and stuff in it so I can help determine my offer?

If it is damaged then I would like to get it repaired, but knowing if it works or not will affect the the purchase price somewhat, If it doesnt work then I might can get cheaper, if it does the price stays the same, kinda win win for me

Once you pull the panel from the dash you'll find mounting /contact studs on the backs of the gauges. You're looking for 20 ohms resistance across the fuel, oil, water, gauges and zero ohms on the amp gauge.
Keep in mind that just removing the panel can break stuff. The contact pins on the boards are very fragile. Best plan is make sure its qualified plug and play ready before installing it.Otherwise you might R&R the panel repeatedly. At 40 yrs old, tests OK today doesn't mean still OK tomorrow.
Nothing about it that cant be repaired as good or better than new. Worst I've restored had been too close to an ignition switch fire.
That invoice totalled 248.00

Ok, Im going to try to get it, I did get the car but the interior was not included (car has been stripped, but it does have a 8 3/4 rearend). He's wanting to sell off the interior and other parts at an additional cost, Its fair because the body cost me nearly nothing and I dont need some of what he has. I may list a few parts up here that would be "unecessary" for me
I will let you know something on the dash if/when I get it and having it checked out/repaired

I check gauges individually on the bench using about 2 or 3 volts and just tickle them for about a second to see if they move. Don't peg the meter though, you can burn it up quickly. This doesn't check the accuracy however.

-
Back