Test Firing a Used Big Block 440 With Old Wiring Harness - Help with Diagram Please

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
Hello again,
Some of you know that Jake (my girlfriend's 14 year old son) and I picked up a used 440 that we plan to clean up and put in his Dart. It came from a '78 Dodge RV and we also got the wiring harness from that RV.
We plan to fire it up on the engine dolly in the next day or two after doing compression test, etc. I have been looking at various threads about wiring it up for test fire purposes but want to make sure I have it right before proceeding, or if any changes are needed. I cut the wiring down to just the components we will need, to try and simplify things. (ignition module, Ballast Resistor, starter relay, etc.
Please look at this photo and let me know if I am on the right track. This has a dual ballast resistor so do I need to hook the top 2 wires up to something as well or where should I run the hot wire for the ignition to? I plan to just jump the starter terminals to crank it over and plan to have the ignition wire clipped on to the 12V source so it can be pulled when I want to kill the engine.
Any help is mucho appreciated! This is my first big block so I also wanna make sure I have the dizzy wires in the right place also. I believe the big blocks rotate counter clockwise? Right now, the # 1 plug wire is located near the front passenger side of the dizzy which is where I believe it needs to be, then 18436572 in counter-clockwise order?
I used the letters to correspond to which wires are planned to connect to which terminals on the ignition module. I have the module grounded to the block.
Thanks again, don't laugh too hard!
wiring_proposal.jpg
IMG_20190124_082835321.jpg

Have a fire extinguisher handy. Do not pour gas into carb, fill the float bowls through the vent tubes and prime with the accelerator pump.
ecuwiringdiagram
MyMopar - Mopar Forums & Information - Chrysler Corporation Engine Firing Order Guide
C:\Users\Public\Pictures\ignit1a.gif

Thanks! Looks to me like I should be good to go if I hook it up the way I have it then. Just need a full 12 V signal to the positive side of the coil during cranking/start. Of course, i will clean it up and do a better job with the connections. Then will check for spark and proper timing before ever bringing any fuel into the mix. LOL

Provide a good ground for the ecu.

-
Back