test stand

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
So I do not have to spend time figuring this out I was hoping someone would have a basic wiring diagram for a 318 with electronic distributor to run on a test stand - only need start and run.

Thanks

aparently you have a test stand. could you post pics of it please. I am looking to build one. Thanks, Al

aparently you have a test stand. could you post pics of it please. I am looking to build one. Thanks, Al

No I do not have a test stand.As I always put my motors in from the bottom I will just have the motor - k frame - flywheel - bellhousing (everything needed to run the motor) on a cart with radiator exhaust hooked up.I never did this before but as this is on the cheap 318 I want to make sure it's OK before putting it in the car.

I use a GM HEI module, and made this "emergency" igntition when I needed to test fire (3 so far) engines:

Didn't even put exhaust on one of em, LOL

34nf6l0.jpg

Mounted a mid 70's GM 4 pin HEI module in an aluminum project box. The HEI module has a plastic locator tit on the bottom side, and you'll either need to drill a clearance hole, or break it off. Use the supplied thermal grease for the heat sink. Mounted a used coil on the side of the box:

hwlcfa.jpg

The diagram: The mounting screws for the module ground it The connector for the distributor MUST be wired as shown to obtain proper rotor phase. I happened to have those test leads.

You hookup the coil wire and distributor connector, and hook the green wire to the block. Yellow goes to battery. No ballast resistor needed.

I don't use a starter button, I just jumper across the starter terminals.

zu5qn8.jpg

-
Back