Testing coil, ignition sytem and components?

-

KnuckleDuster

Reaction score
Need to test my coil first and ingnition system in general.

First, how to test coil with a multimeter?
What voltage should I be getting?

My setup- (will post readings as I get them)

Optima red top
MSD 6AL
Ballast bypassed
MSD Blaster 2 coil
Squareback 65amp alt
Parts store voltage regulator
Stock Mopar distributor

Last edited:
According to the second link, the box is ok.

Where do I probe to test the coil while key on and engine off, also with engine running? What readings should I be getting?

I guessing your coil has internal ballast. Do you have 12V going to the coil + side in start and run? Sorry, I can't help on the MSD outputs.
An online search may or may not provide more information. Sometimes you have to scrounge for specifics.

According to the second link, the box is ok.

Where do I probe to test the coil while key on and engine off, also with engine running? What readings should I be getting?

I think you want to test across the negative to positive terminals, then from the center wire terminal to one of the others - I can't remember if it's negative or positive...

That way you can test primary and secondary resistance....

You can't read the high-voltage output w/ a common voltmeter. You can read primary and secondary resistances. A better test is probably to see how well it throws a spark. A good coil w/ electronic ignition should be able to throw a spark over a 1" gap in the air. Test this by unplugging the coil wire at the distributor and holding it near an unpainted bolt on the engine, then crank. At the higher compression pressures, it is harder to spark which is why spark gaps are much shorter. Also, why you will first notice spark misses at WOT and low rpm.

With it running and probes on pos and neg coil posts I get 8.8-10.8v.

I just installed new NGK FR5 plugs last night and gapped at .045 per MSD to start, but I have tried .040 and .035 before with no noticable change.

Spark jumps to the intake bolt like a lightsaber from at least an inch away.

How do I test the voltage regulator?

Last edited:
I know this don't look right.
What does it mean?

20170318_135243.jpg

20170318_135315.jpg

20170318_135330.jpg

Car is running pretty good, but I would still like to know how to test the voltage regulator.

Try using the search box in the upper right corner of forum pages. I just typed "test voltage regulator" in there and found this write up:

Voltage Regulator Testing?

Good general info. that keeps members from having to answer the same questions over and over again......:)

-
Back