testing electronic voltage regulator

-

64gt

Reaction score
new to this auto electric stuff. found out that my '64 GT has had the alt. and voltage regulator changed to the newer style. had charging and light problems and got new regulator and alt. now alt. not putting out any voltage, it's brand new, could the regulator be bad and cause the alt. to not put out voltage? if so how to test regulator?
thanks

last person with similar problem needed to reattach the ground engine to firewall. Do you have 2 field wires conected at altenater ?

yep, I have two field wires and tey are wired like the diagram posted before. More background. thought alt. was bad got new one for 64 Dart, hooked two field wires up thought that one was kind of weird, should have stoped, started car, burned up wires, bad short, replaced wires, got correct alt. for reg. and wireing, started car no volts out of alt. dissconnected batt. ground car stops. tired of riding bicycle to parts store

grounds are good

thinking more about this. even if the regulator is bad or even disconnected shouldn't there be an output voltage from the alt.? with car off I get around 12 vdc at the bat. post on the alt.. with car running the voltage is the same, running on battery. bad alt. out of the box?

Puzzled here. You may have fried a fusable link or amp gauge. The large red wire on alt have power ?
No the alt wont put out if field isn't energized via the regulater.

yes I have power on the large red wire. is there a way to test regulator?
what should it being outputing to field connections? hate to just buy new parts and hope that works
thank you for the help

there is a way. Need to come from a service manual. Regulater and the added field wire to altennater should get 12 V at switch on. Both are, or should be, blue wires. The regulater needs to be properly grounded to the firewall before attaching connecter.

thanks redfish, slept on it and took a good look at the regulator.
it's covered with thick paint and the only contact was a small nick where the bolt went through. skuffed it up a bit and reinstalled, works great.
thanks again!
now for funner projects

-
Back