Texas members

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
So after spending 28 years of my life in California I have decided to make a big move. Texas here I come! this is a ways off but within a year or so I am looking at finally buying a home. my question is what areas should I look into. my sister and her husband recently built a house in Cedar Park so I have been looking at areas around there like Round Rock, Leander, etc. They haven't been there that long so I would like to get a native Texans input. Thanks, Johnny. :-D

I am in the DFW area - we've got a LOT of Mopar nutz around here. The Fort Worth Mopar Club is The Cowtown Mopar Club - www.cowtownmopars.com The car scene in general is pretty good, especially compared to S.FL (where I came from). Not sure what part of the rather LARGE state you are looking to move to but this area is pretty good for the job scene as well.

Feel free to call me or email me when you get out here - I'd love to share a nice tall Guiness with a fellow Mopar Brother

Good luck with your planned move - it's a b!tc# moving 1/2 way across the country.

Don't come here or I'll blow your doors off just kidding roundrockis much prettier than Houston but if I can be of help just ask

I have no idea why anyone would move to this hot as hell state !!! I would be moving north if given the chance..... Just my $ 0.02 ... But good luck with the move... Other than the weather its a pretty cool state...

San Antonio...... great people, great food, Fiesta every April and lots of great MOPARS!!!!. We've been here 13 years and love it.

Round Rock is nice... a little north of Austin.

San Antonio...... great people, great food, Fiesta every April and lots of great MOPARS!!!!. We've been here 13 years and love it.

Round Rock is nice... a little north of Austin.

Wow! I just searched for info on San Antonio, damn and I thought San Jose was big!

Feel free to call me or email me when you get out here - I'd love to share a nice tall Guiness with a fellow Mopar Brother

Good luck with your planned move - it's a b!tc# moving 1/2 way across the country.[/quote]

For sure the move is going to suck. I get bored as hell on a two hour road trip. First thing I plan on doing once I get the place is get a BBQ going and I will let you all know. Beer, beef, and driveway burnouts to break in the new house!

Hey daredevil, yeah I don't know if houston is the best place for me? I did a google search and a picture of this guy showed up!? LOL!

Copy of P6030004.JPG

I would say that a significant part of your decision should be based upon what type of work you do and/or would be looking for. My son, brother, and uncle are all in the oil/gas related industry. All three have been laid off, or are fearing a lay off. I am in construction, and it's been a feeding frenzy for the past year. Just depends...

Another aspect to consider would certainly be the type of environment you prefer. Texas spans roughly 700-800 miles north-to-south, and the same east-to-west. You can drive all day and go from mountains, to desert, to grassland prairies, to coastal swamps. If you like to see nothing in your way for miles, go to west Texas. If you like to see nothing in front of you but trees, go to the central Texas hill country or east Texas piney woods. If you like sand and surf, locate somewhere along the hundreds-of-miles-long Gulf of Mexico coastline.

You name it, we've got it.

Jerry

Yeah Jerry I know what you mean about the whole job issue. right now I have been looking for a job that also has locations in Texas so I can transfer when I make the move. I have been in the auto industry in one way or another my whole life. luckily I have done both wholesale and retail sales plus repair.

I have been looking at places not heavily populated like here in san jose, but at the same time I still want a good selction of stores without a 30 min.+ drive. mostly so far I have been sticking to the Austin area. I am amazed at just how much cheaper (and larger) the homes are!

Don't bring all that Kalifornia Nancy Pelosi mentality out here and you'll be ok.

Also check out Georgetown (just north of Round Rock) or maybe Hutto (east of Austin).

Yeah - you definitely get more for your money out here. Make sure you check out the property tax rates wherever you are buying a house - they can vary quite a bit.

Also, if you have school-age children, do a little research on each prospective community and scrutinize its school district. Visit the district's official web site, then go to Texas Education Agency (TEA) to find out more.

See if the schools are rated "Exemplary, Recognized, Acceptable, or Low-Performing". Check out the high school's drop out rate. Find out what the district's tax rate is and see if they are financially sound. Do they have a lot of debt or not, and are they operating with a balanced budget? See if they have been growing over the past few years, and especially find out if the district is keeping up with that growth in terms of facilities. In other words, are they adding new construction and keeping the existing facilities well-maintained, or is everything being neglected because of a lack of funds?

I am on our local school board, so I have a little insight.

Jerry

I would say that a significant part of your decision should be based upon what type of work you do and/or would be looking for. My son, brother, and uncle are all in the oil/gas related industry. All three have been laid off, or are fearing a lay off. I am in construction, and it's been a feeding frenzy for the past year. Just depends...

Another aspect to consider would certainly be the type of environment you prefer. Texas spans roughly 700-800 miles north-to-south, and the same east-to-west. You can drive all day and go from mountains, to desert, to grassland prairies, to coastal swamps. If you like to see nothing in your way for miles, go to west Texas. If you like to see nothing in front of you but trees, go to the central Texas hill country or east Texas piney woods. If you like sand and surf, locate somewhere along the hundreds-of-miles-long Gulf of Mexico coastline.

You name it, we've got it.

Jerry

That's basically what I was going to say. I believe the Texas tourism slogan is "Texas. It's like a whole other country." That's pretty fitting.
I live in a little bitty town (Approx. 375 pop.) in East Texas, in a county that's not very densely populated. It works for me, because I'm a small town girl...and I like trees. But, there's really something for everyone in this state.

SleeperScamp and I live really close, and like he said, it's hot here. I'm not a fan of the scorching Summers anyway, but it tends to be extremely humid here - you practically melt when you step outside.

Of course I will say stay close to Austin, something we have known for a while is that Austin will be one of the first places to experience the coming recovery, a fact echoed by Forbes. San Antonio will be right behind us.
Yes its also hot here but the benefits of a low cost of living, a growing economy and spread out subburbs is a plus. I will say Leander is a little far out. I dont know what your living requirements are other than a six car garage,But there are quite a few foreclosed on houses in some areas that you might be able to pick up for pennies on the dollar.
Andrew

One of the many things I have been looking for when house hunting, central A/C..........check.

So I went to my bank today and talked to the mortgage guy. I thought its wierd how even if you are going from a rental to buying a home you still have to be making enough to cover the rental and mortgage cost at the same time? I could understand if your going from a mortgage on one home to another, in case the home doesn't sell or something but...? either way I got a lot of good news but for sure some serious research to do.

I'm thinking the move might be a bit sooner so I am thinking of moving to a rental there or stay with my sister for a little bit so I can actually look at the areas and homes. instead of pics and then having to drive out and drive back. I was originally going to find a few then come out for a week or so but with the rental prices so much lower I can save up even more.

If you plan on working in or near Austin it's 2nd only to New York in road rage
and can take over an hour to get from one end to the other and it's not that big.

-
Back