Texture dash paint

-

basement

Reaction score
I am trying to locate the paint used for the metal part of the dash board. Unlike the paint used on the upper and sides of the door panels which is glossy, the dash paint is the same color but has a rough texture, almost like 200 grit paper? And would this require a larger spray gun tip?

spary it with primer, Do not sand it. Then use SEM trim black prayed a bit further away then usual to get the texture correct.

I'm with Adam on this one. Spraying from a distance will give you that textured pebble grain finish. I painted my dash frame about 3 times before I got it right.

Barracuda304-vi.jpg

Barracuda303-vi.jpg

Barracuda302-vi.jpg

Hey how did you actually get your dash out of the car? Ive been trying to do this but havent found the trick yet

Pull the windshield. I've heard people claim they can get them out with the windshield in the car but look at the bolts at the base of the windshield and tell me how you get those out with the glass in the way ?

The dash is just sheet metal so it might be possible to rip it out from under the bolts. Dunno how you would put it back in. LOL
Will a usable tip excuse the BS ? LOL
None of the dash housings are painted on underside. Since you are bound to paint it anyway (who wouldn't ?) ...
white sure makes things easier to see under there.

I took my glove box door to the PPG paint store by my house. The lady took one look at it, and then broke out some compound and polished it. Turns out the dark green textured paint was a dead on match for the F8 green the rest of the car was painted.

Once we knew the color, she mixed up some single stage F8 in omni. Then she took a small amount of the paint and mixed in some flattening agent. We did a little test blot, and dried it with heat. Darnd if it wasn't a perfect match.

I bought the quart of F8 green Omni, and a quart of the flattening agent. Went home and mixed up a batch and sprayed it with my touch up gun. I tried a couple of times on a test panel until I got the proper ammount of flattner in it. I believe it was only a few oz per cup, but you will just have to try it with the color you want to use. I believe she told me that you could mix it up to 50% .

It went on smooth and shiny, but dried to a nice flat/textured finish. I couldn't be happier. I have been using that flattening agent in all kinds of stuff since then.

-Dave

That textured finish was called suede finish. If you have a paint chip chart, a good paint place might be able to cross reference the original number to a modern finish.

-
Back